Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refueling

Refueling

Yesterday I was filling up the boat at my local servo the same one Ive been using for years, when over the loud speaker the console operator(new to the job) told me to fill the tanks on the ground , I proceeded to so then went to pay and questioned him about this ( I have no problem with fueling tanks on the ground just curious) First I asked what the danger was with plastic tanks in a fibreglass boat , Dunno just doing what im told. Then asked him how he knew I didnt have an under floor tank , didnt know there was such a thing. then asked what happens when I come here with the mates boat with a underfloor tank his reply. You prob have to fill a bottle then tip it into the tank. (that would be nice 120L from a bottle) I told him we might fuel the underfloor tanks at the next servo up the road from now on.... Does any one know the correct laws in regards to refueling boats in NSW if there is any. I assume portable tanks are to be filled on the ground & underfloor tanks can be filled in the boat

thanks Luke..

Re: Refueling

hi mate
    any tank 25L or less must be placed on the ground when filling. I have personally seen 3 catch fire from static when not placed on the ground over the years.

Hello,
    I have two 25l red plastic Sceptre tanks and always leave them in the boat to refuel because I have a bad back and cannot lift them when full.
    I always touch the nozzle onto the aluminium boat to discharge any static electricity first.
    I usually empty the egg-cup full or so that is left in the nozzle onto the ground so that it does not spill inside the boat.
    I think that the attendant was over-zealous, as what happens with an in-built tank?
    What happens to the static with a car? why is there no spark?

We've all experienced static from the car at some stage but IMO, in the m, middle of a tropical sumer? Not likely, just over zealous attendant I'd say.

The Console Ops are only following Company procedures, any "Removable" fuel container MUST be placed on the ground as it is not earthed to the vehicle/boat, especially if it's sitting on carpet or other matting material, and of course fiberglass and Poly plastics are a great static generators

Fixed fuel containers(such as inbuilt fuel tanks) can be fueled as per normal as they are usually earthed to the boat through their mounting or fixings

If you do not place removable tanks on the ground(no matter how bad your health is) they can and may refuse to authorize the pump. If I am on site and I see you attempting to fill a container not placed on the ground and you refuse my request to do so I WILL shut down all pumps in the place via the "emergency shut off" this will leave you to explain to everyone else why you put their lives in danger

The "I will go elsewhere" doesn't really work either as ALL major fuel Companies follow the same procedure, only the dodgy independents don't and would you really buy fuel from them would you?

If you need help lifting your fuel containers ask someone for help, the Console ops will help as they are required to

And lastly, if you don't think it's that dangerous, go visit a burns unit at a Hospital......... Don't F**k with petrol or it WILL F**K YOU UP
    If You Can't Run With The Dogs....... Stay On The Porch

Thanks for the replies, like I said before I have no problem fueling on the ground & will do so from now on. Just ammused how the attendant assumed i had removeable tanks without seeing in the boat & it will be interesting next time we go there with the mates boats with underfloor tanks when this operator is on duty,

Hello Hellfisher,

The console operator probably had a look via the surveilance camera.
    Don't pick your nose or scratch your behind, it is all recorded.

As for asking the operator to help, I think that is very optimistic.

Nahh you'd be surprised Crocodile. unless it's just the one op on duty and it's extremely busy
    I've never met one that wouldn't give you a hand if you do the right thing, you may even get another customer willing to help you. better to wait for the console op to help than to wait for the ambos and fireys to arrive

While refueling I had the cops tell me to remove the red port tank in the small boat once (in Qld), at the time it was the 1st I'd heard of it.

It came about a few years ago when ute manufacturers started using Poly plastics for tray liners or for the entire tray(Ala Ford) people used to fill drums in old metal ute trays and it wasn't so much of a problem but the new plastic trays and liners caused a lot of static build up, The number of Ute fires was climbing quite quickly and so the AIP recommended that all fuel drums/containers be placed on the ground and filled

This did two things
    lowered the risk of static build up having nowhere to go but up the fuel nozzle'
    And just as important, lowered the risk of petrol spraying all over the vehicle when the person filling the container jumped back when it went woof, Nozzle in hand and the trigger still open(imagine doing that in a wagon with kids in the back seat... Horrible thought isn't it)

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello,

the static build up in a car is dissipated through the tyres believe it or not

the tyres having a very large amount of carbon in them does conduct electricity
    The static shock you might get when you touch the car door etc. is a build up of static on you and it is being earthed through the car to ground

also the plastic fuel tanks are made of conductive plastics and have a static strap that connects to the car body

Although early XD Falcons didn't have this and there were some static fires caused by this, it was fixed by fitting a metal ring at the filler neck and connecting that to the car body

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello,
    I have two 25l red plastic Sceptre tanks and always leave them in the boat to refuel because I have a bad back and cannot lift them when full.
    I always touch the nozzle onto the aluminium boat to discharge any static electricity first.
    I usually empty the egg-cup full or so that is left in the nozzle onto the ground so that it does not spill inside the boat.
    I think that the attendant was over-zealous, as what happens with an in-built tank?
    G'day,

Sorry Crocadile but bad back or not, the plastic tanks have to be on the ground to ground them. They are insulated against your efforts to ground the boat before refuelling.

Don't empty the fuel gun before you start refueling. Take what's free. Evaporation losses are one of the greatest polluters with transport fuels so keep everything you can get - for the environment, mind. The greatest losses through evaporation are the rich fuel-air mixture expelled from your tank when you refuel. Pity it isn't captured.

Cars with plastic fuel tanks have an earth wire from the metal fuel neck filler to the vehicle chassis.

WARNING: If you bought a ute with a steel tub that has a plastic fuel tank and you have converted it to a tray back make sure there is and earth from the fuel neck filler to the chassis. This is not critical with diesels but is essential with petrols.

Regards,

White Pointer

One of the things I love about Ausfish.....We have members who have the expertise and knowledge to be able to keep us all in line and informed of critical issues that could affect our wellbeing and lifestyle. Thanks Kev and WP.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by White Pointer View Post
    G'day,

Sorry Crocadile but bad back or not, the plastic tanks have to be on the ground to ground them. They are insulated against your efforts to ground the boat before refuelling.

Don't empty the fuel gun before you start refueling. Take what's free. Evaporation losses are one of the greatest polluters with transport fuels so keep everything you can get - for the environment, mind. The greatest losses through evaporation are the rich fuel-air mixture expelled from your tank when you refuel. Pity it isn't captured.

Cars with plastic fuel tanks have an earth wire from the metal fuel neck filler to the vehicle chassis.

WARNING: If you bought a ute with a steel tub that has a plastic fuel tank and you have converted it to a tray back make sure there is and earth from the fuel neck filler to the chassis. This is not critical with diesels but is essential with petrols.

Regards,

White Pointer
    all new sites being built have to have vapour recovery systems in place and there is a date for all current sites to have them fitted aswell. It is a few years away yet, but it is coming.

ive never heard of this before

is there no way to ground the static off the fuel tank to be able to safely fill while it's in the boat? where my tank sits it's kind of awkward access to pull the whole thing out (moreso to put it back in when full), not a huge margin of gap and requires a fair deal of contortionism to angle it through