Thread: Mossops Bait and Tackle Cleveland Brisbane

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Mossops Bait and Tackle Cleveland Brisbane

I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit to having given this store a few critical reviews quite a few years back. This was just after the original Budds Bait and Tackle left a deplorable mess, non helpful staff and an obvious don 't care attitude!

I even gave it away for twelve months as it was almost impossible to get good, fresh bait and blood worms were a rarity!

Now, what a change! Peter, the owner has done an absolutely brilliant job in turning this outlet into one of the best type shops on the South Side, particularly the Redlands and Bayshore areas.

I went up there a few weeks ago in the vain hope there would be some fresh bait but wow, I was totally unprepared for the new freezers and coolers for fresh bait jam packed with just about every type you could possibly ask for!

Have you ever been to a bait shop where blue Pillies come in small, medium and large? And top quality at that!

Squid, mullet, bonito, even yabbies and blood worms to burn, all in savage form and not more expensive than the other outlets around the area plus heaps more top quality bait and believe it or not, sea worms from the South Coast!!! And the good news is that Peter seems to have finally pinned down those pretty unreliable commercial wormers and now has worms just about 24/7! Never does any harm of course to call beforehand to order some just in case there is a run on them ....................................!

The overall shop is stacked with quality fishing tackle and I had to sit on my wallet to avoid lashing out on all the superb rods, reels and fishing tackle that adorn every space in the shop!

And the bad old days of the staff ignoring you while they had a chat over the counter are gone. Now you get service as soon as you enter, allowing for previous customers of course!

So, Peter has done his bit, taken some sledging over the years and now up to us Fishos to repay him back by buying from him whenever you need the above.

A pleasure to shop there now! Top job Peter!

Re: Mossops Bait and Tackle Cleveland Brisbane

Have to agree. There is a Young bloke that works there called Joel who is a deadest champion.

That's how i remember Mossops back in the 70's and 80's at Racecourse Road.......Then over to Kedron.

Good to hear that name has recovered from it's crap performance in the past decade or more.
    Jack.

A lot of fishermen recall the old store in Cornwall St Store. It was the best fishing tackle store I have ever been into. Guys like Trevor Saunders loved fishing more than selling gear and their enthusiasm was contagious. I bought my first ABU baitcaster from that store in 1974.
    The Mossops at Cleveland has certainly reinvented itself and is a worthy addition to the ever decreasing ranks of the independent tackle stores. As said above their bait section is second to none.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I was very dissapointed with my purchase their 8 months ago (Expensive and mushy) but will give it another go based on the +ve comments above

Quote Originally Posted by One more drop View Post
    Have to agree. There is a Young bloke that works there called Joel who is a deadest champion.
    Now is Joel totally lethargic and doesn't move (deadest) or really keen and enthusiastic (dead set). I have the same problem with dyslexia

TPP, good to see you have tried them again and found it worth while and reported same, pity I don't live in the Brisbane area anymore as we don't have anything like it on the the sunshine coast but I still visit from time to time and will make the effort to get out to Cleveland and have a gander next time.

Great moving to our new home in Cleveland on Tuesday, was wondering where was the best place to get my bait and bits and pieces from will go and check them out.

Mark