Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 6hp outboard

Re: Best 6hp outboard

That's about the guts of it.

Yep, it will displace more water and need more power to get it up on top.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

God damn it! Should of bought a 15hp! Lol

With a bit of fine tuning (height and prop) your motor should be fine on a boat like that.

I hope so, I wanted it to plane at least.

Depending on what did happen you do have a few options that can make a difference in small tinnies. If you were one up, weight distribution can have a huge influence on the minimum required speed for the hull to stop pushing water and climb onto the plane. You can play with engine height as you have started to do. Which hole was your trim adjustment in (assuming it has one - not familiar with the exact motor). If it was as low as it can go you could try a tapered mounting pad to tuck the leg in a bit and give the stern a bit more lift. You could try a couple of planing extensions (similar to trim tabs) on the stern of the hull. If you were two up, I think you will struggle. My old 10 foot tinnie with a two stroke 6hp Yamaha would plane two up but was always a bit bow high.

Yeah she's fully trimmed in, no adjustment left.

the hull is rated to a 5hp motor, so I thought I'd put a 6hp on for good measure, but maybe the old punt is just not built to plane.

im not unhappy, it's stable, i can load it in my ute easy, and I can't wait to hit the water tommorow.

Dont get me wrong, it still moves along pretty quick, a fast walking pace, even slow jog.

i only fish a inland river with it, about 5 kms off water.

what about a foil on the motor. I don't like drilling holes, but if it's what it needs!

A foil may work but they make a motor that is removed and laid down for transport a potential problem child. Many motors (possibly all bar the air cooled ones) can not have the leg higher than the powerhead or you run the risk of water draining into places you really don't want it. The width of a foil would generally be enough to create this situation if the motor is laid on it's side.

So after lifting the motor 30mm, she's a new boat! Up on the plane! 28kmh it does! All fixed by a piece of wood.

The suzuki's a winner when set up right, really pleased now.

Well I'm back on here,

I'm still having problems with the punt, it will plane with just me in it, but as soon as I put someone else in, or my two little kids it won't do it!

my cavitation plate is still to low, needs to come up 30mm still but I have no transom left to lift it anymore.

so I'm at a crossroads, do I get the transom built up to make it higher? And spend that money not knowing if it will fix the problem.

or sell the 6hp and buy a 8hp two stroke, and once again see if this fixes the problem after I've spent the money.

any advise would be appreciated, cause I want to take my kids and old man fishing with me and I need it to plane.

thanks

I'd be looking for a light weight 3.7 tinnie. It'll plain with a 6 with two up. That little 2.7 is just too short to perform well.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

So I'm stuffed cause of my hull?

Maybe an 8hp 2 stroke won't do it either.

I made up a bracket to test the 6hp, got the cav plate up level with the bottom of the boat, and still no good 2 up.

The 6hp simply won't do it.

If you have any mates/contacts with slightly larger boats or a larger motor see if you can try them briefly but I tend to agree with Dale. Running a 6hp two stroke on my old 10 footer, it was neither as quick one up nor planed as easily two up as a mate who had a heavier 12 footer - also with a 6 hp albeit a different brand.

I'm thinking of putting a 9.8hp tohatsu 2 stroke on it, surely this will do the job.