Thread: Haines Signature 542's - Any Issues ?

Haines Signature 542's - Any Issues ?

Hi All,

Am thinking of upgrading to one of the above mentioned boats. Model year would probably be between 2003 - 2008 & price seems to be anything between 28 & 39.
    They also appear to come with a variety of motors that are either standard or re-powered.
    So far I have seen anything from 115hp to 140hp fitted and I am thinking that the 115 might be a little underpowered for an 18 footer ?
    Also I have seen quite a few with older two strokes, newer two strokes and four strokes. My preference would be for a four stroke.
    Although having said that, I have looked up the weight of a couple of 130hp four stroke motors and there appears to be a huge difference between the heaviest and the lightest eg: 225kg and 185kg, but to be fair I am not sure how old the lighter motor was.
    I have seen one or two boats with deep keel scratches or chips etc and, while these are obviously cheaper, I am thinking that I should give these a wide berth. Unless of course a repair is inexpensive to fix ?
    Please note, it is not my intention to start a motor brand debate with this post, although I must admit that I am conscious of the price difference a brand of motor can have on re-sale, as I have found this out first hand.

As I said, I am just looking for the best balance or combination at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Cheers
    Rob

Re: Haines Signature 542's - Any Issues ?

IF you can save a few grand opting for the hull with a few gel coat scratches on the keel then I would go for it. $50 gelcoat repair kit and an hour or 2 of your time. It is only cosmetic. Ensure they are chips and gouges but - not cracks. Cracks in the hull= bad stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    IF you can save a few grand opting for the hull with a few gel coat scratches on the keel then I would go for it. $50 gelcoat repair kit and an hour or 2 of your time. It is only cosmetic. Ensure they are chips and gouges but - not cracks. Cracks in the hull= bad stay away.
    Thanks mate.
    From now on I will make more of an effort to have an even closer look.
    The more information I gather, the better the decision I will make hopefully.

Cheers
    Rob

Glass repairs are cheap - don't stress.

We just sold a 542 centre console. It had a 135 optimax on it. The balance was right as was the pace. I've no doubt they will go ok with a 115 as it is a pretty efficient hull. Ours would do 40 knots with a knocked around vengeance prop and never wanted for grunt. If driving big distance is your thing, the optis are hard to beat for fuel economy at pace - 2+ Kms per litre from ours over a large rev range. It cruised comfortably off shore at 40 Kph using 17.5 lph.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Thanks GBC

Would mainly be used for shorter trips and overnighters to Moreton Island - bay islands etc.

Cheers
    Rob