Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zerek Live Shrimp

Re: Zerek Live Shrimp

too expensive, you can get 3 Berkley Power Shrimp or Kokoda Power prawn for $9+
    randell

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    randell
    Agreed.
    Many a soft plastic prawn on the market that do the same job.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    randell
    Admittedly I was bought by the marketing and their captivating action.

But what I bought them for is when the prawns come on.
    Throw one on the outskirts of a batch of prawns or flick them around small river mouths etc etc.

Dan

I have not tried them yet, but know someone who has. I have got as far as looking closely on the shop display, the 1st thing I notice is the price!! 2nd thing I notice is the worm hooks supplied with them would IMHO restrict what I can do with them in relation to how/ when/where I can fish with them because they are very light weights and you don't always want a hook with such restricted exposure of the hook tip as if you are fishing in weed.. Whack a normal jighead in them with your choice of weight and suddenly you open up the options and it works this way also....

Scalem

Happy to pay for a lure under ten bucks that works as well as this. Different action to all other prawn imitations I've seen- they've won me!!

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

You get the cheaper prawn plastics and make a couple of snips down the back part to try and emulate the Zerek movement but the Zerek is built tough so they'll last a large number of hook ups unlike the cheaper knock offs.

I don't have a problem with the hook set up us it comes into its own in snag territory - even rubble bottoms where a bit of weed grows. Rat barra tend to mouth the prawn so hooks ups not as often but the big ones don't take prisoners!

Yep, but I bet I can cast double the distance with my 3/8 or 1/2oz Jighead and still get down to 20 mtrs depth with a little current. Doubt you could do this with the worm hooks supplied with them. But it depends on where the fish are holding in the water column so standard worm hooks might be fine on the day.

Scalem

they are no better than anything else on the market, esp when you impart the action as with all plastics. difference is your getting ripped off. ill keep my atomic prongs, i get 10 to every 1 live shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by B_E_N View Post
    they are no better than anything else on the market, esp when you impart the action as with all plastics. difference is your getting ripped off. ill keep my atomic prongs, i get 10 to every 1 live shrimp
    I got one still in the plastic sittin in the garage I am not going to break it out till I catch something on the first one I got.

Dan

I am a big fan of Prongs as well and have a few of the 3.5" Zereks. I find the weight is a bit too light for most of the current run I fish, but have been too lazy to look at adding more weight, I just fall back to the Prong. Has anyone played with a bit more weight?

lure d'jour,

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpthumpa View Post
    I am a big fan of Prongs as well and have a few of the 3.5" Zereks. I find the weight is a bit too light for most of the current run I fish, but have been too lazy to look at adding more weight, I just fall back to the Prong. Has anyone played with a bit more weight?
    Yep - it works

Scalem

I am going to reverse the hook in one of mine and see how it goes. Looking for the forward glide when the flick finishes same as the real prawns do. They might look good in the promotional vid but it is not normal action for a prawn, we just think it looks sexy.
    Jack.

I used the 2" in colour No2 on Thursday in the Maroochy river and the jacks went crazy for it.
    Landed 2 jacks around 30-35cm and got smashed by a larger one and lost my lure.
    I love 'em. a bit expensive but I love the glowing eyes in murky water.
    Like Scalem I change the jigheads to suit the area and water depth i am fishing
    Cheers Mal
    Feel the FEAR!
    Then do it ANYWAY !!

I have bought 2 of them and both got 1 hit before the tail was missing. Great action but way too xx'y for 1 hit. Ben