Thread: Normal for Outboard?

Normal for Outboard?

Hey guys is this normal for an outboard?

DF115A, port side only

IMG_2760.jpg

Re: Normal for Outboard?

My 140 does the same thing.....shits me aswell.

CLR gets rid of it,i think it's minerals in the water drying from a hotspot from the exhaust casting.......maybe.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Got the same on my honda 50. Will try clr. Cheers

Bought some CLR from Coles and gave it some elbow grease, looks alot better but still just noticable.

I think it may have affected the paint?

IMG_2762.jpgIMG_2764.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by madmanjim View Post
    Bought some CLR from Coles and gave it some elbow grease, looks alot better but still just noticable.

I think it may have affected the paint?

IMG_2762.jpgIMG_2764.jpg
    Major improvement mate

I once heard from a mechanic that seeing a huge amount of this build up on a suzuki is a sign the engine is over propped and working too hard. Not sure if it's an old wives tale or possible fact. It'll come back after a clr bath.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    I once heard from a mechanic that seeing a huge amount of this build up on a suzuki is a sign the engine is over propped and working too hard. Not sure if it's an old wives tale or possible fact. It'll come back after a clr bath.

Darren
    If anything I think the boat is slightly under propped (reaching max RPM easily). After speaking with solas, I'm getting a new prop with the same pitch but slightly cupped (slightly higher pitch).

Any other suzi owners out there have the same issue? Thoughts on the under prop/over propped?

Cheers

Apparently its got to do with heat on the leg and calcium in the water , could be wrong . Any case all Suzuki outboards in that range do it . Septone rust and stain remover cleans it straight off . Sam.

Hmmmm, Oceans are becoming more calcified apparently.
    Imo, better to be under propped a bit, and aren't modern outboards rev limited anyway?
    John

go pour salt water onto a hot surface... it will do the same... this is common on 4 strokes that have no cover over the leg.... some manufacturers put plastic covers onto keep the salt water off the hot surface

CLR Hull and stain remover or pool acid 10:1 will get it off easy as
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech