Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: bottom bouncing the shelf

Re: bottom bouncing the shelf

Mick

Dont worry about Nagg , he lost this arguement about 4 pages ago, but he's to pedantic to admit it!!

Your abiding by the bag limits , what does it matter how many hooks you use!! I notice Nagg also had a little chip at the pro fisho's, well they follow the rules as well, and pay big bucks for the privalage, why pick on them? Nagg if you dont like the rules in tassie why dont you address your complaints to the tasmanian government after all they make the rules!!! And leave the little bloke to fish how he likes, as long as he's following the guidelines and not wasting what he catches , it all sweet imho!!

Hey Muzz

It's abit hard to compare the waters off the west coast of Tassie to those of the East coast of Australia, Our weather patterns are fairly stable as were protected by the continent unlike the tassie guys also almost all the east coast of the mainland is easily accessable to many more fishos than tassie that has heaps of virtually unaccessable areas ( unless you have a large very safe boat) and very feww fishable days a year, add to this a low population, i think there fishery is quite safe!! You can't compare to nsw as Nagg tried to do!! Still keen to get down your way one day!!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Mick

Dont worry about Nagg , he lost this arguement about 4 pages ago, but he's to pedantic to admit it!!

Your abiding by the bag limits , what does it matter how many hooks you use!! I notice Nagg also had a little chip at the pro fisho's, well they follow the rules as well, and pay big bucks for the privalage, why pick on them? Nagg if you dont like the rules in tassie why dont you address your complaints to the tasmanian government after all they make the rules!!! And leave the little bloke to fish how he likes, as long as he's following the guidelines and not wasting what he catches , it all sweet imho!!

Hey Muzz

It's abit hard to compare the waters off the west coast of Tassie to those of the East coast of Australia, Our weather patterns are fairly stable as were protected by the continent unlike the tassie guys also almost all the east coast of the mainland is easily accessable to many more fishos than tassie that has heaps of virtually unaccessable areas ( unless you have a large very safe boat) and very feww fishable days a year, add to this a low population, i think there fishery is quite safe!! You can't compare to nsw as Nagg tried to do!! Still keen to get down your way one day!!

Ian
    Thanks Ian....At least someone on here can see th big picture....I dont have a problem with Nagg...Its is just when people shoot there MOUTH off about things that they dont fully understand...I have never fished up your way...so I would dare not to try and tell you`s how to manage or fish your area....

I was accused of Butchering...which got my back up....

And I did sort of refer to Nagg as a Greenie...but ....the way in which he has expressed his opinion...then no wonder.....

Ian....Isnt it strange that there are no Marine Reserves here on the West Coast of Tassie...except for Port Davey.....I know the Gov Fisheries monitor it here alot....so maybe they just might think that because of our adverse weather cond then our fisheries are substainable....and as Blaze Stated....Ours have actually picked up ...due to Quota`s being introduced....

Nagg should put in for a job with the Gov Fisheries...he seems to know alot about our State....Even though he has not fished down our Way...Hmmmm...Strange thing That....

Enough Said...

Mick

PS...Ian ....You are welcome anytime to come down fishing...so are any other Ausfish Members....I welcome anyone to give me a call ....I would be more than happy to take them fishing..

I just hope that when you`s do finally come down that i dont offend fellow Ausfishers with my fishing Practices...

Mick

now now boys play nice! lol

Quote Originally Posted by snelly1971 View Post
    PS...Ian ....You are welcome anytime to come down fishing...so are any other Ausfish Members....I welcome anyone to give me a call ....I would be more than happy to take them fishing..

I just hope that when you`s do finally come down that i dont offend fellow Ausfishers with my fishing Practices...

Mick
    Hi Mick hows it hanging,
    Just started reading this, and although I,ve only read this page i can't help myself.

Why not invite him down to that Beautiful river that Grand marlin fished when we were down enjoying you and your lovely brides hospitality

Hope you've been able to get out mate, is it starting to warm up yet?

Not long and the Cray's should be on, is that right, you lucky b@$t@rd.

You keep on looking after that Great part of Aus Mick I will be back. And when I am I hope the weather is good to us.
    And the only offence is that when you do get out, I'm not out with you, catching
    great fish.

Cheers Mate, and say hi to the Family, have you started to expand on that?
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob tranter View Post
    Hi Mick hows it hanging,
    Just started reading this, and although I,ve only read this page i can't help myself.

Why not invite him down to that Beautiful river that Grand marlin fished when we were down enjoying you and your lovely brides hospitality

Hope you've been able to get out mate, is it starting to warm up yet?

Not long and the Cray's should be on, is that right, you lucky b@$t@rd.

You keep on looking after that Great part of Aus Mick I will be back. And when I am I hope the weather is good to us.
    And the only offence is that when you do get out, I'm not out with you, catching
    great fish.

Cheers Mate, and say hi to the Family, have you started to expand on that?
    Rob
    You will be impressed with the new boat when you come back Rob.....No I havent staretd on the family ext yet....net year....I have a few toys to buy yet...Pot hauler...generator...sounder...hehe...the list goes on...

Dont even mention about the river which Pete Fished...Nagg...would have a nervous Break down if he seen that...

Mick

lol at rob

Mick .... Please dont refer to me as a greenie ... or even imply it ! ..... You have no idea of what I'm about! ........ Yet without any surprise you are very selective with what you want to comment about! & as for others that support the practices of Tas .... Well! ... Please explain at what point I lost the argument .... As far as I'm concerned nobody has convinced me of that, I'm off the mark
    While I have no experience with fishing Tasmanian waters , I have fished many remote destinations in our region as previously mentioned ..... Most under a local guide! ..... & the general consensus is that they have a declining fishery (for many reasons)! ..... So at what point are you better off than LORD HOWE ISLAND (incl Elizabeth Reef), THE OUTER BARRIER REEF , MADANG PNG , D'URVILLE R (NZ) ..... ??? ...... these are all isolated / little population / long distances involved etc ..... but they have all declined over recent years. Further more there has never been an attack on the uses of electric winches , deck winches etc .....Just the need for 120 hooks ,That free drift around the ocean ...... bag limits that are set by local authorities still dont go far enough IMO .....They should include a in possession total ..... that would stop clowns that do or can go out regularly .... bag out ... go in ... unload .... go out again .... bag out .... go again !!! ............. day after day! ...... I know because on many occasions I could have done just that ( 5 x 10kg jewies ... over 7 days ... EACH) ... totally legal ...... BUT IT STINCKS ...... I'm glad that after we had a fair feed .... we let the rest go! .... or another practice is to have the missus & 2 toddlers on board & claim they have 4 fishoes in total ( I saw that argument first hand with a fisheries officer about crabbing ) ....... Now you may just have a better incite to who I am & what I'm about .... Nagg

PS ..... I forgot to mention my gripe with PROs (Trawlers) .... as someone pointed this out! ..... My beef is when you see two local Bermagui boats (quite large) come into port with all of their fish boxes full (both above deck & below) .. while the remaining rear deck area is piled 1M high full of fish (& please spare me ... the just making a living line .... or that the times that they go out & catch bugger all ) ...... i'll go on ..... For me the worst part was that of the fish that littered the deck ..... The majority were undersized or barely legal fish ... with the standout being Kingfish , trevally & John Dory which made up a high percentage of the catch ..... Maybe this explains why in 22 years of boat based fishing .... I've never landed a JD & only have seen a hand full caught. Finally when you go out the following morning & follow a trail of dead fish (predominately toads) but also masses of very small bycatch . ..... I dont think this would be an isolated example!
    Or when you hear the stories (first hand) from what happens when a longliner shoots their line .... Targeting YFT ..... & they end up with several hundred striped marlin over a weeks fishing :cry: ..... Personally I would love to see that the only way fish can be harvested professionally is by rod & reel , handlines & even better Aquaculture (no nets , traps , longlines & drop lines) .... Yes fish prices will go up ..... but hey from what I've seen ... Its expensive already ..... So thats my gripe with the pros ...... & by the way ... Since the NSW gov started the buyback of licences over the past 7 years .... It not just a coincidence that the fishing has improved 10 fold (even with increased amature pressure)
    Last edited by NAGG; 12-09-2007 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mick .... Please dont refer to me as a greenie ... or even imply it ! ..... You have no idea of what I'm about! ........ Yet without any surprise you are very selective with what you want to comment about! & as for others that support the practices of Tas .... Well! ... Please explain at what point I lost the argument .... As far as I'm concerned nobody has convinced me of that, I'm off the mark
    While I have no experience with fishing Tasmanian waters , I have fished many remote destinations in our region as previously mentioned ..... Most under a local guide! ..... & the general consensus is that they have a declining fishery (for many reasons)! ..... So at what point are you better off than LORD HOWE ISLAND (incl Elizabeth Reef), THE OUTER BARRIER REEF , MADANG PNG , D'URVILLE R (NZ) ..... ??? ...... these are all isolated / little population / long distances involved etc ..... but they have all declined over recent years. Further more there has never been an attack on the uses of electric winches , deck winches etc .....Just the need for 120 hooks ,That free drift around the ocean ...... bag limits that are set by local authorities still dont go far enough IMO .....They should include a in possession total ..... that would stop clowns that do or can go out regularly .... bag out ... go in ... unload .... go out again .... bag out .... go again !!! ............. day after day! ...... I know because on many occasions I could have done just that ( 5 x 10kg jewies ... over 7 days ... EACH) ... totally legal ...... BUT IT STINCKS ...... I'm glad that after we had a fair feed .... we let the rest go! .... or another practice is to have the missus & 2 toddlers on board & claim they have 4 fishoes in total ( I saw that argument first hand with a fisheries officer about crabbing ) ....... Now you may just have a better incite to who I am & what I'm about .... Nagg
    Well Nagg...that goes both ways...you implied that I am for cutting down all the trees...This to me ....sounds VERY GREEN.....I just want Tassie to have a renewable ....which they seem to have ...forest industry....

Maybe you should stop and think before shooting your mouth off about things that you know nothing about...You have never fished here...been here...or seen how remote...and wild our coastline is...regardless of where you have been...you should not comment on such things...

Our waters down here are regarded as some of the wildest and most dangerous in the world...And this is one of the reasons why our fisheries...as Blaze said...is safe...it cannot be overfished....It is just humanly impossible...But of course...you know best...even though you have never been here...

As for Bag Limits....Use you Brain...The laws are may be different her...

Example...5 crayfish per day....possesion limit is 10...that means you are only allowed 10 ...no more...yes go home and unload...but they can and do raid peoples houses....

And we dont and cant get out alot...I have stated that over and over agin...but you just like to twist things...

As for the so called attack on electric reels/wiches...put your flamin glasses on and read the posts .....

Mick
    Last edited by snelly1971; 11-09-2007 at 06:57 PM.

snelly stop teaseing the greenie it not nice. nice set up you got there. never fished more than 100m, but would love to do the shelf one day. good to hear how its done.

BigE

Here is a link showing Tasmanias Bag and possesion limits for scale fish and sharks....I also mis printed about Blue Eye...Our daily bag limit is 8
    http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...open#Scalefish
    Mick
    Last edited by snelly1971; 12-09-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    snelly stop teaseing the greenie it not nice. nice set up you got there. never fished more than 100m, but would love to do the shelf one day. good to hear how its done.

BigE
    Come down Big E...I can take you out and show you how to BUTCHER...Fish...

Please leave poor old Nagg alone...he is not a Greenie

Geee...doesnt his Ausfish Name suit Him....sounds like my Misses...Nagg..Nagg...

Mick

I think we need to put this in perspective.

What is fishing?

A couple of people have different definitions.

If I fish with a rod and reel ?
    If I fishing with a rod and electric reel.

If i fish with a handline and 2 hooks.
    If I fish with a handline and 6 hooks (or 20 hooks if the regs and my arm allowed)

If I go and catch crayfish with a pot (just like the pros)
    If I go and pry abalone of the rocks with a knife (just like the pros)

As far as I'm concerned I'm enjoying recreational fishing in all of these cases.

As long as recreational fishing regulations are followed then we're all recreational fishing.

NAGG - there's two ways through regulation to ensure the success of the fishery.

1) Keep the biomass of the breeding population above the required level to self sustain - done through bag and size limits as well as restricted fishing zones to ensure breeding.

2) Regulations on gear to ensure only target fish (not juniors) or the correct amount of fish are able to be caught.

It would seem in Tasmania that the offshore fishery regulations feel the current requirements are fine.

As a former West Coast Tasmanian - I think you would have to know the place to understand the pressure (or lack of) that is on this fishery from the recreational sector.

Even as gear and equipment changes the weather curtails even the avid fisherman.

Regards

Bugman

PS Nice fish Mick - I'm up for the next run in the new girl.
    Last edited by bugman; 12-09-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Your welcome anytime Brett...

Cheers Mick

Interesting Reading Nagg....

The purpose of bag and possession limits is to leave enough mature fish to ensure that the species can continue to breed. Bag limits help to ensure that fishing resources are shared equally among the many users and that the catch is not wasted. Remember only take what you need for a feed.

Although one or two extra or undersized fish does not seem a lot, it is important to remember that there are many fishers out there and, if everyone took one or two, a few would become many. All undersized fish should be carefully returned to the water and given the best possible chance to survive the experience.Scalefish

Daily bag limits no longer apply and have been replaced by a personal possession limit for each species. Possession limits apply everywhere, including the home.

The overall limit on the number of fish (all species combined) also no longer applies.
    Unless otherwise stated, a personal possession limit of 15 fish applies for any species.
    You may clean fish at sea. For fish that have been filleted, two fillets are deemed to be the equivalent of one fish. A fillet is defined as a longitudinal section of flesh removed from a fish, not including the head or gut. Proof of purchase is required if you have fish in excess of the possession limit.

A possession limit of two school and gummy shark (combined) applies. You may also have possession of two other shark species (including elephant fish). A boat limit of 5 shark carcasses applies.

The possession of shark fins is prohibited unless the shark trunks or bodies are with them.
    Bait species such as anchovy, pilchard, sprat, blue sprat and hardyhead have a combined possession limit of 5kg per person.

Below is a summary of the possession limits. Please note that unless specified a possession limit of 15 fish applies. For more information on individual species see the fish species and information pages of this site.

Scalefish

Daily bag limits no longer apply and have been replaced by a personal possession limit for each species. Possession limits apply everywhere, including the home.

Mick