Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D.I.Y Jigheads

Re: D.I.Y Jigheads

Hi Scalem,

Just looking through the Do-It catalogue and there are a few now that will take the 7/0.

Here's a fish caught in about 120ft of water and the jig still looks small comapred to some of the fish we were catching on them. This one was on a TT 1 1/2 ounce 8/0.

I like the sounds of those prices Mark ! I priced lead today at the local scrap metal place and it's only $2 per kilo. I might end up doing an order for hooks overseas (about half price) if anyone is interested. The more boxes (of 100) i get the cheaper they will be.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi Scalem,

Just looking through the Do-It catalogue and there are a few now that will take the 7/0.

Here's a fish caught in about 120ft of water and the jig still looks small comapred to some of the fish we were catching on them. This one was on a TT 1 1/2 ounce 8/0.

I like the sounds of those prices Mark ! I priced lead today at the local scrap metal place and it's only $2 per kilo. I might end up doing an order for hooks overseas (about half price) if anyone is interested. The more boxes (of 100) i get the cheaper they will be.

Richard
    Which molds Richard? Are they on the website? In 120ft of water you would certainly need your 1/12 oz which is exactly what I am saying, you have to up the hook size too, an 8/0 would be pefect. Nice fish!!! If you order OS and then freight down to Brissie, freight will be a major factor, so getting from my source who buys the molds in bulk will work out so close I prefer to get the free advice he gives me thrown in on the deal. But let me know what landed price you get, and I might look a little silly having said what I just did

Scalem

Hi Scalem,

You're right, the bigger hooks are only in the bigger (sometimes really big) jig head sizes. The bullet nose jig does a 7/0 in the 2 ounce head (BDB-3-LA) and then bigger hooks in the bigger heads again. There's quite a few like this but as you said, none with that size hook in the 1 ounce weight head.

What's with the Yanks, don't they have big fish over there that need bigger hooks ?? All the molds seem to have very small hooks and really only geared at freshwater stuff. I guess their freshwater fishing is a lot more developed than ours.

Yeah freight is a major factor, especially for the molds. So I've emailed the frogley distributors for some prices, is this where you got yours from ? If you have a particular person you speak to would you mind PM'ing me his details ? The hooks might be worth it if you order 3 or more boxes together, once again because of the freight. But they seem to pay only about half of what we pay here so you'd order boxes of 100 to make it worth your while. I have to make sure which moulds i want first and what hooks it can take ???

thanks for your help on this

Richard

Hi Richard, Yeh it definetaly beats a dollar jig head!! When ordering your hooks online and in bulk make sure you buy them from a reputable dealer cos I bought a hundred #2 Gamakatsu's for what I thought was a bargain until I they arrived in a ziplock bag and burred over every time I hooked bottom or a fish struck!! very frustrating considering they should have been top notch Gammi's!! nothing but ordering in locally for me now lol.

Once you start making your own you definetaly wont go back!!

Cheers,

Mark

It seems Frogly Agencies are having trouble getting the Do-It moulds. They replied to me in an email saying that they would be unable to get them for several months.

If anyone is interested I might be doing an overseas order shortly. Combining postage could cut some costs...

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It seems Frogly Agencies are having trouble getting the Do-It moulds. They replied to me in an email saying that they would be unable to get them for several months.

If anyone is interested I might be doing an overseas order shortly. Combining postage could cut some costs...

Richard
    Bummer! Sorry to hear that. Your way importing seems the best way after all.

Scalem

this is a awsome post. keep it up guys. can you get molds for hws hooks and where can i get them owner nitor ambadeen hooks they use on the berkly bream pro jigs in size 2 and 1, there awsome or gummas in that size like the ones they use on the real tt hws hooks
    figjam :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    this is a awsome post. keep it up guys. can you get molds for hws hooks and where can i get them owner nitor ambadeen hooks they use on the berkly bream pro jigs in size 2 and 1, there awsome or gummas in that size like the ones they use on the real tt hws hooks
    I see there is a HWS ripoff on Ebay these days cheap as chips by the look. I do not know what hook they are building them on tho.

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    Not 100% sure of the hook you mean Nuggstar, but Mustad aberdeen blank Jig head hooks are on the shelf at your larger camping/fishing retailer store. Just look for the packs with the yellow sticker in the corner with 90* on it. I started the whole DIY jig heads with them, but found they were not strong enough for snapper, which is why I went HW. Honestly? Gamakatsu will have any hook requirement in their range IMO, and I trust the quality. Click on this link http://www.gamakatsu.com.au/products/jighooks.html

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Not 100% sure of the hook you mean Nuggstar, but Mustad aberdeen blank Jig head hooks are on the shelf at your larger camping/fishing retailer store. Just look for the packs with the yellow sticker in the corner with 90* on it. I started the whole DIY jig heads with them, but found they were not strong enough for snapper, which is why I went HW. Honestly? Gamakatsu will have any hook requirement in their range IMO, and I trust the quality. Click on this link http://www.gamakatsu.com.au/products/jighooks.html

Scalem
    I just came from one of the well known major retailers and touched on the very topic of hook strength with Jigheads and they were very surprised when I told them that I was initially ending up with straightened hooks with the aberdeen hooks. The salesman asked how I was solving the problem and I mentioned the home made hooks with the Gamakatsu hooks and the response was "They are without a doubt the strongest hook!" They did however encourage me to try the latest Nitro jighead which are built on the "owner" brand hooks. I have to admit the hooks look the goods and just out of curiosity I decided to get a pack not only to put the hook strength to the test but also to do a comparison on how much scalem and I are saving by making our own as stated in this thread.
    I purchased the Nitro 1/8 jigheads with #2.0 hooks. You get 5 in the pack for $8.95.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

its them owners that i want. there the best by far iv found for breaming. the points on them penatrate so well. i use the tt as well but they cost so much and the nitro owner seem heaps better. im getting them from big w for $5.50\$6.50 a pack on special, but i only want the hooks so i can make my own like you's guys.

Hi Nuggstar, You can buy just about any size and shape Mould from the DO-IT website (even blanks as so you can machine your own mould... but that could get expensive!!)

When using my moulds I am always putting #1 - #6 hooks in slots with a guideline of #6 & #8. Worse case scenario you get a little ridge at the join which in my opinion assists with holding on the plastic and can be easily flattened with your fingers if needed.

Yeh I can't go past the Gamakatsu's (providing their the authentic ones) I got my first few packets of Gammi's #2 #4 & #6 from Mo Tackle and am about to order in some from the local to top up my supply. The Gammi's have definetaly proven to me their worth (especially on Breambo's and over 70cm flatties) and are still only cost next to nothing and have never come close to straightening the shank and have trouble even burring the hook point!!

If your down brissie way one weekend Nuggstar send me a PM and I can show ya how i make them up and we can go for a fish. Keechy tells me you have an awesome style of fishing plastics on pontoons!!

Cheers,

Mark

sweet as mate. that would be awsome, i will give ya a pm when im coming down next. it be good have a flick with ya around your way as well as iv never fished brizzy and am keen to try. it be even sweeter to catch the fish on the jig heads we just made.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Malcolm View Post
    For anyone interested in Bream/flathead size Jig Heads my set-up was $100 (not including hooks or lead) I make my Jigs using Gamakatsu hooks in sizes 1/32 - 1/4 for between 9 - 18 cents using bought snapper lead.

so with me being 22 and fishing for at least another 40 years the $100 bucks is more of an investment to save me money rather than an expense

Cheers,

Mark

hi what weight/type would you use for the bream jig heads

Yeh for sure!! We'll go for a fish in my tinny and hopefully get onto a few breambo's and Croc's on home made Jig's. Just had a look on the owner website and could only find the Jig Hooks in 3/0, 5/0 & 7/0. Probably test out the Gammi's and see how you like them then make up your mind on buying a mould.

Cheers,

Mark