Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard upgrade

Outboard upgrade

Lookin at getting the 60hp yammie over the 60hp merc anyone have an opinion in witch is better? Need something that can easily push my 5.3m to get some nice reds and coral trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Outboard upgrade

That's small for a 5.3 I'm about to get a 4.4 with a 60 suzuki... The new 70 hp yamaha looks great and is really light for its size and would be a great match for that size boat. Imo I don't think a 5.3 fully loaded with gear and a few blokes would push it easily at all with a 60

Yea I'd like to go bigger just the cost is what's killin me

a 70hp yami wouldnt be sufficient either your coming down from a V4 120HP Johno, you need atleast 100hp if looking at a 4 stroke even at that its light on, a 115hp would be perfect, if you really are looking at a 60HP you need to get the BIGFOOT Mercury as you will need the extra thrust to get you out of the hole

Do you plan to troll... EVERYWHERE!!
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Hey mate, I had a 60hp yammi high thrust on a 5m center console (tin boat). Great engine I put 400 hrs on it and never had any issues, but under powered for a 5m with 3blokes and all your gear. A trip out to the banks would chew more fuel than my mates 6m plate boat with a 140 suzuki. I was getting about 1.3L/nm fully loaded. You could cruise at 16knts and it would save some juice but it would be a slow trip home. In my option you can't beat a yamaha or a suzuki but make sure you put the maximum hp on the back, you can never have too much.

Cheers nick, yea might just wait a bit longer and get a bigger motor other wise I will end up regretting it in the long run with what your saying.

Other option is a two stroke yammy reliable solid engines and not as expensive and still nice and light but with more hole shit.

Or just get a second hand 4 stroke?
    Shop around and bide your time and a F115 or DF115 should come along.
    They are both great designs and provided not abused last many years.

spaniard king maybe he is just
    SPLASHing about

I think Brisbane Yamaha has 115 2 strokes under 10 grand

I have to agree thats alot of boat for a F60.

Mine has an F60 4mm plate at 4.5 meters & i had to change the prop size down to get any thrust from it otherwise it took forever to get onto plane
    Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

My local guy has a very nice 100HP Yamaha 4 stroke second hand, they are a long way away, but if the price is right, then transport can be arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by oldie View Post
    a 70hp yami wouldnt be sufficient either your coming down from a V4 120HP Johno, you need atleast 100hp if looking at a 4 stroke even at that its light on, a 115hp would be perfect, if you really are looking at a 60HP you need to get the BIGFOOT Mercury as you will need the extra thrust to get you out of the hole

I agree with oldie my mate had a Merc 60hp BIGFOOT very good out of the hole you won't go wrong 60 bigfoot, their drive train you cannot break. The merc's tend to go a lot harder than all the other 60's too.

Novel Any idea as to what he is pricing for his 100hp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk