Thread: Live bait tank question

Live bait tank question

I have a built in live bait tank in my tournament 1800, but what happens is that the fish scales get stuck in the bottom exit hole, is there a way to prevent this happening?

Any advice would be appreciated, am I doing something wrong that there is some many fish scales?

Re: Live bait tank question

are you saying that the over flow is in the bottom? and what sort of bait are you keeping in there?

I find that mine block up also but now i pull the plug on the way home and the movement of water on the ride home moves the scales around and the tank is empty when i get home.

Thanks noelm, there is an overflow at the top, is this where the water should be coming out when the tank is in use?

should the bottom hold be plugged off during use?

Also, under way should the pump be engaged or should I switch it off?

Thanks wayno, the same thing happens on the drive home for me

Probably be better to put up some pictures mate.

as a general rule, the bait tank has an overflow at the top, the pump is used when stopped and water is pumped into the tank, and the excess just goes out the over flow, most have a scoop to pick up water when moving, the pump need not be run then, the bottom "drain" is simply to drain water out at days end and usually has some sort of screw in plug.

thanks noelm, that makes complete sense, i must be missing the screw in plug for the bottom hole

just something else to think about...

That system works well, BUT as soon as you stop, the water will syphon out of the tank from the lowest hose! You will need to add an anti syphon device on the top of the tube that goes to the bottom of the tank, most inlets are at the top like the over flow, but have the outlet pointed down, so fresh water enters the tank as a stream to the bottom of the tank.

The bottom hole could be missing a riser pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, that's possible.

thanks guys