Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

Using an Alvey for any kind of fishing would be taking a giant step backwards for me, right back to my childhood, and I am in my mid fifties.
    Any reel is only as good as it`s drag, and Alveys just don`t cut it for me.
    I would enjoy using a deck winch about as much as a net. Give me a rod and reel anyday.What I can`t get to the boat with my Avets and Penns, I don`t want in the boat.
    After saying that, I think everyone has the right to use whatever blows their hair back.
    Reggy

It'd make my day to see someone chucking lures at impoundment Barra in the sticks with an Alvey

seriously I can't believe how crazy some of the posts in this thread are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post

seriously I can't believe how crazy some of the posts in this thread are getting.
    I agree with Tony. Have another look at the subject title.

If it had been a $1000 stella versus a NEW Alvey, there would have been no contest :=)

Good luck,,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 2iar View Post
    I agree with Tony. Have another look at the subject title.

If it had been a $1000 stella versus a NEW Alvey, there would have been no contest :=)

Good luck,,
    Mike
    hehe yep the new ones win hands down!

[quote=spears;769438]I was going to say the same thing about alvey reels.
    One big advantage with alveys is no one ever seems to say it broke.No bail arms breaking,no handles breaking,no stripped gears.simple reels for simple fishing..Any reel like an avley can be mastered to work in experienced hands..
    I like using spinning reels for most of my fishing but deep sea shark fishing the alvey comes out.
    Buy the right size for your type of fishing and it works.
    And if you hook something really big and your trying to stop it just palm the spool.[/quote]

Thats what Santiago thought ! ( Hemingways ... The old man & the sea) Imagine if he had a Stella

Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 20-02-2008 at 10:14 PM.

[quote=NAGG;769522]
    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I was going to say the same thing about alvey reels.
    One big advantage with alveys is no one ever seems to say it broke.No bail arms breaking,no handles breaking,no stripped gears.simple reels for simple fishing..Any reel like an avley can be mastered to work in experienced hands..
    I like using spinning reels for most of my fishing but deep sea shark fishing the alvey comes out.
    Buy the right size for your type of fishing and it works.
    And if you hook something really big and your trying to stop it just palm the spool.[/quote]

Thats what Santiago thought ! ( Hemingways ... The old man & the sea) Imagine if he had a Stella

Nagg
    And if you hook something really big and your trying to stop it just palm the spool

Well not really without glove or towel..i have had too a few times and i used the bottom part of my jumper this is while the drag is on max..it works

But hey no biggy its only a fishing thingo....................

I don't want a stella i want a van staal,one day when i can afford one..
    Last edited by spears; 20-02-2008 at 11:29 PM.

they should have a fishing show catching big blacks of cairns.
    alvey is good in its own right but as for stopping big powerful fish that take massive runs or go straight for the bottem they were not made for it.

gee guys i am not going to be able to sleep tonite worring about catching 7-8 big reds in a run ,giant samson fish,
    big blacks on a alvey lol how long since any one caught any of these fish let alone worry about wearing yourself out catching to many lol . pro line fishermen use hand lines or alvey winches , why because that is obviously the easist and most efficient productive way . now u might say ok how many kilos is not wot im about i am a sportsman fine then be sporting use a safty pin and a ball wool lol anyway that basic pro fact eliminates any doubts about catching more fish with a high dollar reel . ps my thread was for reef fishing

Why is it that i'm picking up this vibe from stella owners ..

sounds a bit like " if ya aint got a stella ya aint gonna catch nuffin "...

Here in SA not worth havin a stella we aint got no big fish..
    Last edited by spears; 21-02-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Why is it that i'm picking up this vibe from stella owners ..

sounds a bit like " if ya aint got a stella ya aint gonna catch nuffin "...

Here in SA not worth havin a stella we aint got no big fish..

No big fish hey? I'll swap you your big bay snapper down there for our Moreton bay snapper up here.

From memory the record King fish cam from SA last year. I t was rediculously massive. Like 44kg or something.

Not that I have a stella nor need one at the moment but the goal is to 1. Need one and 2. Be able to justify a grand just for the reel.

Cheers Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Many less experienced anglers may confuse the use of expensive and high tech gear with true skill developed using a wide varity of equipment. An Alvey may be basic but is certainly capable of knocking over most fish in SEQ. I get a huge amount of satisfaction from the direct contact with the fish

As Obi_Wan said "Use the Force". You would be amazed at what you can catch on an Alvey if you understand their limitations and advantages
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thumbs down Re: $1000 stella versus an old alvey

NO one sits over a reef fishing with bait using a Stella, that is the forte of Alvey's, overheads and baitrunners, the same as no one goes deep jigging with Alvey's. The question was stupid from the start and the topic has been going around in a big circle and will soon disappear into the same abyss it came from .

em getting touchy i think alvey has won this thread hands down lol

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    It'd make my day to see someone chucking lures at impoundment Barra in the sticks with an Alvey

read the thread before making dumb post reef reef reef fishin

Because I'm not a Qld'er ..... I'll say it " I hate Alveys!"
    Never liked them during my rock fishing days! , Never liked them boat fishing!
    I've owned 3 over the years ( so I tried) Off the rocks I reckon Alveys are just to heavy to use all day ( & only good for baitfishing ..... not spinning ) ..... So I reverted back to spin & overhead gear!
    In a boat ... I felt I was just winching fish ( no fun) .... & except for bottom bouncing that's all they were good for!

I've drifted here a little ....... but I would much rather use gear that I enjoy using , can use all day without fatigue & that can tackle the target species!
    Seriously ..... It would be very hard to defend an Alvey .... once you have used or owned a high end reel like a Stella or Saltiga ! .... These reels will knock over anything an Alvey can & then some

In the end .... it boils down to $$$ & what you can afford or what you a willing to spend !

TECHNOLOGY RULES

Nagg