View Poll Results: Is buying cheap, a good option?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying cheap gear is fine - it works!

13 13.00%
  • Buy the best quality gear you can afford

72 72.00%
  • Top shelf (& top dollar) is what to aim for

15 15.00%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Does el-cheapo do the job..?

Re: Does el-cheapo do the job..?

My outfits

Starlo stix Squidgy Spin M 7ft 2-4kg + Diawa Exceler 1500 + 6lb braid (4lb fireline destined for the spare spool) - Lure flicking and small bait fishing

Penn Slammer 7ft 6-10kg graphite composite + Fin-Nor 3500~ size + 12lb mono - Alternative reel Penn Captiva CV6000 + 20lb mono - Larger dead bait and live baiting

Jarvis Walker RedBone 7ft 3-6kg + Penn Captiva CV2000 + 10lb braid - jack of all (river) trades

Jarvis Walker RedBone 8ft 3-6kg + Alvey 625BB + 25lb mono - Rediculous outfit that exists as a dodgy spare only

Shimano Bullwhip Fightn' Rod pistol grip baitcaster - No reel as yet

Jarvis Walker Tailor Taker 13ft surf rod - Penn Captiva CV6000 or Alvey 625BB as reel options

Jarvis Walker 7ft Supertip - Was used as a light combo with the Penn CV2000, second eye from the tip is damaged but still usable, so it has been handed down to my daughter - Shakespear old as the hills dodgy as all buggery reel for the moment

-------------------------------------------------------

As you can see I have survived the past 13 years fishing with the lowest of low end gear. I have only just recently taken the plunge with the Penn Captivas and only just this last week opted for the higher quality of the Starlo Stix and the Daiwa Exceler... Will I go more expensive again? Sure, just as soon as I can afford to do so. In saying that, I can't immagine ever feeling justified in spending more than $600 for a combo.

Interesting read some real passion out there about how we do what we enjoy. I still think the determining factor is skill ( or luck ) I have seen blokes lose reasonable fish on some of the best gear avaibible (and endure some heartbreaking sledging as a result) and seen a little girl (under 12) land a meter plus barra on a ring caster while breaking almost every rule in the angling book. however if you spend some time in the company of truely consistent fisherman ( the guys who seem to be able pull fish even on the worst days) you will notice "they use what they have TO THEIR BEST ADVANTAGE" gear may or may not make a difference, but skill neally always does.
    I'll take skill or even good advice over equipment every time.

BigE

Here’s a reel I imported from the U.S. even though this is the cheaper version compared to there up market range in Quantum cabo or boca models.
    AS guys over there say it isn’t a stella but it isn’t far off at one third the price.
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''
    The one I wanted to bring to attention is there small reel called pulse 10-40 sizes which is in the budget line.
    I have the pulse 30.
    Quantum have got a good reputation through out the united states.
    Have a read of the link below and get an idea of what can be purchased at one third of the price compared to a shimano or diawa smaller reels.
    You can get these delivered in 6 days for $65.

http://www.illinoiswaters.net/heartl...pic.php?t=6689

I dont think i am ready to sell all my stellas yet and buy this reel

IMHO you cannot put that reel anywhere near the same class as a stells or saltiga but like i say its only my opinion .

I have an idea , why dont shimano just re brand these and sell them as stellas if they are that good

I think we all know why !!

And thats why they are $65.00

food for thought
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by MONOSTRETCHO View Post
    I dont think i am ready to sell all my stellas yet and buy this reel

IMHO you cannot put that reel anywhere near the same class as a stells or saltiga but like i say its only my opinion .

I have an idea , why dont shimano just re brand these and sell them as stellas if they are that good

I think we all know why !!

And thats why they are $65.00

food for thought
    I think you have misread in what i am saying or comparing.
    The pulse 30 has nothing to do with a comparison..... stella or saltiga

Spears i am giving myself several good upercuts as i type this i will be sure to read properly before commenting next time .

As a budget entry level reel i think its pretty good value for $$ and probably better quality than other similar priced reels .

regards MONOSTRETCHO
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

Spears i am giving myself several good upercuts as i type this i will be sure to read properly before commenting next time .

As a budget entry level reel i think its pretty good value for $$ and probably better quality than other similar priced reels .

regards MONOSTRETCHO
    i am giving myself several good upercuts as i type this
    Can you put it on video and share it with us

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Interesting read some real passion out there about how we do what we enjoy. I still think the determining factor is skill ( or luck ) I have seen blokes lose reasonable fish on some of the best gear avaibible (and endure some heartbreaking sledging as a result) and seen a little girl (under 12) land a meter plus barra on a ring caster while breaking almost every rule in the angling book. however if you spend some time in the company of truely consistent fisherman ( the guys who seem to be able pull fish even on the worst days) you will notice "they use what they have TO THEIR BEST ADVANTAGE" gear may or may not make a difference, but skill neally always does.
    I'll take skill or even good advice over equipment every time.

BigE
    No doubt that skill or luck has more to do with catching fish than the gear itself ....... more than a few decent marlin have been landed on cheapish spin gear .
    OK ... now having said that you wont find me picking up my Maple CY 2000 .... ahead of my Stella or Certate ...... sure it is a capable reel with good specs - but if feels like a coffee grinder by comparison , Its heavier , the drag is stuttery & there is play in the handle .................................... & its hardly been used - however compare it to a ABU FX2000 .... that I also bought while away without any gear ......... & the Maple is a dream
    Now .... someone who knew no better would probably say that the ABU is OK ........ Till they hook a fish & try to adjust the drag ......... Yes all 4 reels will catch fish ........ but 2 of the 4 make the whole process of lure casting an enjoyable one ......... That has been mentioned before .... lure casting requires better gear

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well, it finally arrived, guys; my new toy that I'll be taking to Mexico next month. Nope, it's not an el cheapo, or something that I'd have any doubts about using.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3299/...76a948.jpg?v=0

The new Saltiga 6500Z S-Extreme, with the matching rod. Wish me luck!

Jim.

The collection...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9901534...7605701920719/

Good luck Jim , i like your weapon of choice you can stop some monsters with that , what are you chasing over there ?

Talking Re: Does el-cheapo do the job..?

Good luck Jim , i like your weapon of choice you can stop some monsters with that , what are you chasing over there ?

I'm hoping to pick up a sail and mahi-mahi, and all the usual species. I've taken a couple of days charter out of Cozumel, and the reports from there have been very favourable. I will, of course, add pics of any decent catches when I get back!

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    My outfits

Starlo stix Squidgy Spin M 7ft 2-4kg + Diawa Exceler 1500 + 6lb braid (4lb fireline destined for the spare spool) - Lure flicking and small bait fishing

Penn Slammer 7ft 6-10kg graphite composite + Fin-Nor 3500~ size + 12lb mono - Alternative reel Penn Captiva CV6000 + 20lb mono - Larger dead bait and live baiting

Jarvis Walker RedBone 7ft 3-6kg + Penn Captiva CV2000 + 10lb braid - jack of all (river) trades

Jarvis Walker RedBone 8ft 3-6kg + Alvey 625BB + 25lb mono - Rediculous outfit that exists as a dodgy spare only

Shimano Bullwhip Fightn' Rod pistol grip baitcaster - No reel as yet

Jarvis Walker Tailor Taker 13ft surf rod - Penn Captiva CV6000 or Alvey 625BB as reel options

Jarvis Walker 7ft Supertip - Was used as a light combo with the Penn CV2000, second eye from the tip is damaged but still usable, so it has been handed down to my daughter - Shakespear old as the hills dodgy as all buggery reel for the moment

-------------------------------------------------------

As you can see I have survived the past 13 years fishing with the lowest of low end gear. I have only just recently taken the plunge with the Penn Captivas and only just this last week opted for the higher quality of the Starlo Stix and the Daiwa Exceler... Will I go more expensive again? Sure, just as soon as I can afford to do so. In saying that, I can't immagine ever feeling justified in spending more than $600 for a combo.
    That changed yesterday...

Starlo stix Squidgy Spin M 7ft 2-4kg + Diawa Exceler 1500 + 6lb braid (10lb braid on the spare spool)

Penn Slammer 7ft 6-10kg graphite composite + Pflueger Medalist 6040 + considering 10lb mono and 15lb mono on the spools - Alternative reel Penn Captiva CV6000 + 20lb mono

Jarvis Walker RedBone 7ft 3-6kg + Daiwa Proshooter 2500 + 12lb mono

Jarvis Walker RedBone 8ft 3-6kg + Fin-Nor UltraQuest4 + 12lb mono

Shimano Bullwhip Fightn' Rod pistol grip baitcaster - No reel as yet (pretty sure a mate is buying this from me)

Jarvis Walker Tailor Taker 13ft surf rod - Alvey 625BB + 25lb

Jarvis Walker 7ft Supertip + Shakespeare Durango + mystery mono line ('rental' I'll lend to people I don't like )

My kids have -

Daughter - Shakespear Durango rod + Daiwa Proshooter + 8lb mono

Son - Shakespear Durango rod + Penn Captiva CV2000 + 8lb mono

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess my gear is now slowly on the quality incline. The reels are fine for a while now, so it's just a rods that I'll start upgrading over the next 12 months now. The Jarvis Walker and Shakespear rods will end up being retired.

To me El Cheapo reels would be anything under $50, Cheap to $100, reasonable to $150, good to $250, great to $400, fantastic to $600 and stupidly insane what in the hell kind of money are you on above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    That changed yesterday...

Starlo stix Squidgy Spin M 7ft 2-4kg + Diawa Exceler 1500 + 6lb braid (10lb braid on the spare spool)

Penn Slammer 7ft 6-10kg graphite composite + Pflueger Medalist 6040 + considering 10lb mono and 15lb mono on the spools - Alternative reel Penn Captiva CV6000 + 20lb mono

Jarvis Walker RedBone 7ft 3-6kg + Daiwa Proshooter 2500 + 12lb mono

Jarvis Walker RedBone 8ft 3-6kg + Fin-Nor UltraQuest4 + 12lb mono

Shimano Bullwhip Fightn' Rod pistol grip baitcaster - No reel as yet (pretty sure a mate is buying this from me)

Jarvis Walker Tailor Taker 13ft surf rod - Alvey 625BB + 25lb

Jarvis Walker 7ft Supertip + Shakespeare Durango + mystery mono line ('rental' I'll lend to people I don't like )

My kids have -

Daughter - Shakespear Durango rod + Daiwa Proshooter + 8lb mono

Son - Shakespear Durango rod + Penn Captiva CV2000 + 8lb mono

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess my gear is now slowly on the quality incline. The reels are fine for a while now, so it's just a rods that I'll start upgrading over the next 12 months now. The Jarvis Walker and Shakespear rods will end up being retired.

To me El Cheapo reels would be anything under $50, Cheap to $100, reasonable to $150, good to $250, great to $400, fantastic to $600 and stupidly insane what in the hell kind of money are you on above that.
    krikey mate some of that lot looks a bit up market ..... I hope you baught it all on clearance

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Yeah, the Jarvis walker and skahespeare durango gear would have sent me bankrupt otherwise.

That said and sarcasm aside, the 3 daiwa, 2 penn, pflueger and the Fin-nor had a tricket price of around $855 combined.. I paid $275 for the lot, give or take $10.

I can't immagine wanting to pay $550+ for ONE reel when I managed to purchase 7 'cheap' to 'good' reels for half as much.

Matt.

I simply could not justify spending $400 pluss on a rod, then another $500 pluss for areel to go on it and another $100 to spool it up with top shelf braid

Hell two of those would buy you a good second hand boat on a trailer .

but then again some of these guys spend $100G pluss on a boat.

I wish I had that sort of money to throw arround.

Keep it cheap and I can afford to have an appropriate rod and reel for just about every fishing situation......At least the ones I am likley to afford.

The first time I see someone bust or lose one of those high priced rigs, I am going to be very carefull to restrain myself.........If I was unfortunate enough to break or drop a rod over the side ( I never have), it wont be a serious economic calamity.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.