Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Re: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Ive got the B8-5, and find it a little heavy for all day use, so was thinking about going the B6-5, dunno, those Penns are cheap, and they do the job.
    I've looked at those Penns a couple of times ...... dunno
    Love the Egrel grip ....... Bear blank Egrel blank .... seems nicer to me
    I do like the nitros ........ they are light & built on a ripper of a blank - sure they are two piece but Like a GL3 Loomis - they are robust but at 2/3rds the price

I guess for me a 6'6" Rod (8-10kg), that is light with a good cork grip is my main pre requisite.
    I'm now starting to loose the wank value of a barra rod

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Tony ...... why did you go 20lb on the Zillion ????

Chris
    Originally it was because I used it to do a bit of Bass fishing to try the new outfit and wanted to try the Nitlon 20. When I got up to the Mondy muster I was too tired to change the line over even though I had a few spools of Nitlon 40 to test (read lazy) so I left it on and you know the rest

After getting the 112 on 20lb I can't bring myself to change the line - might change my mind on that if I get a heap of bust offs although I think that might not be the case if I use it right...

p.s. I agree the Loomis GL3 could do with larger guides! Mate - don't overlook those Nitros either, I've got a couple now and love them! (Magbutt & Godzilla) I was concerned at first with the 2 piece Magbutt although have had it for a few years now and not a problem (beats snapping tips of in car doors) I even got a 2 piece jigging rod (Pfleuger Supreme solid carbon blank) and was stoked with how it went at 1770 - they're not like the old 2 piece rods used to be (even though I've still got a few of them that you could still use if you had to)

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Originally it was because I used it to do a bit of Bass fishing to try the new outfit and wanted to try the Nitlon 20. When I got up to the Mondy muster I was too tired to change the line over even though I had a few spools of Nitlon 40 to test (read lazy) so I left it on and you know the rest

After getting the 112 on 20lb I can't bring myself to change the line - might change my mind on that if I get a heap of bust offs although I think that might not be the case if I use it right...

p.s. I agree the Loomis GL3 could do with larger guides! Mate - don't overlook those Nitros either, I've got a couple now and love them! (Magbutt & Godzilla) I was concerned at first with the 2 piece Magbutt although have had it for a few years now and not a problem (beats snapping tips of in car doors) I even got a 2 piece jigging rod (Pfleuger Supreme solid carbon blank) and was stoked with how it went at 1770 - they're not like the old 2 piece rods used to be (even though I've still got a few of them that you could still use if you had to)

Cheers
    Tony
    Go to the 40lb Nitlon Tony ....... I feel its the best match for the Zillion (gives you that abrasion resistance) but more importantly it allows you to use that Loomis & go hard if necessary - no need to penalise yourself if you dont have too.......... barra on bass gear is fun but ........ WHAT IF !!!!
    You know I like Nitros (spin rods) I really dont have an issue with ferruled rods (dunno about a barra rod though ) ....... I just might go down to my local & see if Gary has them cheaper than the RRP ...... that might sway me

Chris

PS ...... I see Mighty Whitey is buying new gear too (about time ) ....... He's keen for the BB & the flow on barra fishing in March
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Aaaaah you Guys and your toys.........When I first looked at JM's DVD out come the Old Alvey, might be something in this Drag question/leader damage.......Im like Brian love the Penn Pinpoint Tournament rod (have 2)....and then there's the Egrell Spin for Barra, balanced out with a TDA Advantage 4000.....its caught really really big............CAT FISH, havn't caught a Barra with it yet but a sweet rod in hand for casting all day......In the market for a second spin, not sure what to get yet.......I use Erskine Penn Signature Series 2 Low Profile on the Pinpoint rods......just got to decide on what gear to get for the second Spin outfit......any suggestions will be eternately grateful...maybe an alvey on light surfgear
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

I probably prefer them Chris because of the length, I find it easier to down wards twitch and jiggle on the retrieve with a shorter stick, dont bash it into the rails as much, which is not a good thing to do with those graphite composites.
    On the down side, Ive broken 3 over the last couple of years, all thru bad rod angles that I should know better by know, but heat of the moment stuff....
    Still, at a price of 90 to 100 bucks dependin where you get them, it doesnt hurt as much as breaking other toys. But it still hurts!
    Agree with you on the w#nk factor thing, what I want is a tool that does the job, not a tool that advertisers tell me I need to do the job. So much money is tied up in the impoundment scene now days, it can be a bit hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    I probably prefer them Chris because of the length, I find it easier to down wards twitch and jiggle on the retrieve with a shorter stick, dont bash it into the rails as much, which is not a good thing to do with those graphite composites.
    On the down side, Ive broken 3 over the last couple of years, all thru bad rod angles that I should know better by know, but heat of the moment stuff....
    Still, at a price of 90 to 100 bucks dependin where you get them, it doesnt hurt as much as breaking other toys. But it still hurts!
    Agree with you on the w#nk factor thing, what I want is a tool that does the job, not a tool that advertisers tell me I need to do the job. So much money is tied up in the impoundment scene now days, it can be a bit hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.
    Wheat from the chaff ..... too right
    i'm certainly over the custom built ...... super dooper stuff ---- They are broken too easily & it doesn't matter if its rod angles , stupidity , a tree or just a barra that jumps on the brag mat & lands on the rod .......... Its still broken
    so I wont be spending $600 + on the latest camo split grip thingy. Low $300s should see me with a quality stick that doesn't weigh a tonne or feel like a pool cue ...... good power in the butt & good sensitivity in the tip.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Aaaaah you Guys and your toys.........When I first looked at JM's DVD out come the Old Alvey, might be something in this Drag question/leader damage.......Im like Brian love the Penn Pinpoint Tournament rod (have 2)....and then there's the Egrell Spin for Barra, balanced out with a TDA Advantage 4000.....its caught really really big............CAT FISH, havn't caught a Barra with it yet but a sweet rod in hand for casting all day......In the market for a second spin, not sure what to get yet.......I use Erskine Penn Signature Series 2 Low Profile on the Pinpoint rods......just got to decide on what gear to get for the second Spin outfit......any suggestions will be eternately grateful...maybe an alvey on light surfgear
    I saw a leader pop under load that sounded like a shot gun ........ heaps of pressure on a 90s fish .......... So maybe time to rethink our 10kgs of drag pressure ..... that we strive for

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well now, barra and gear, where do we begin? Up in the Kimberlies 30 years ago, the gear I had was a glass rod of indeterminate quality, coupled to a Mitchell 487 and 15 lb tortue. Abu killers were the No.1 lure.
    Now, having retired to Mackay, I have a Strudwick Sikstik 17lb 5'6", Abu Record 60, 20 lb Platypus superbraid and 1 metre of Jarvis Walker 40 lb leader.
    Then, there is the Samurai my son made up for me, tied on to An Abu Ambssadeur 5000C and 20 lb Platypus superbraid with same type JW leader.
    And an uglytick Gold with an Abu Ambassadeur 5500 C4 with, you guessed it 20 Platypus.....

The Abu Record/Strudwick combo.

all daiwa reels on my custom rods (of course!)

my fave and the combo responsible for nearly all my big fish is my steez 100H/ Hastings 65XH point casting SP outfit, loaded with 40lb nitlon/70lb FC... as with all my builds, the rod is set up for its intended use, with thought given to guide sizing for the generally larger leader knots of heavy FC, also leverage while casting and most importantly correct balance. you can have the lightest rod on the market but if it is poorly balanced it will be very tiring to use...i no longer own this rod, as Matt borrowed it for the ABT but liked it so much it has become a permanent part of his arsenal...not to worry another will take its place, most likely a 7' version to increase casting performance

after that, well probably my i'ze light/605DHX combo, although i'm finding it a little short for tinaroo it is excellent for surface and HB presentations where constant and violent twitch retrieves may be employed....i'm pretty sure this will be supersceded by my upcoming build, a 6'6" point casting HB outfit centred around a zillion HLC (light, unbelievably smooth!!) and a Hastings 664DHX blank, fast action with a bit of meat in the tip so as not to get overpowered launching long casts with big HB's but very light and perfectly balanced for comfort during long sessions...should be finished soon can't wait to break it in!

in all my years fishing with high end gear i have never once broken a rod...yea it seems to happen but if you buy the right gear to start with then unless it is due to misuse/abuse (stepping/closing a door on it are the most common, followed by incorrect technique like high rod angles with high drag settings) then you should never suffer the inconvenience of a busted rod

i for one would never settle for a cheaper rod on the off chance i may damage it, IMO the rod is far more important than the reel....

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I saw a leader pop under load that sounded like a shot gun ........ heaps of pressure on a 90s fish .......... So maybe time to rethink our 10kgs of drag pressure ..... that we strive for

chris
    yeah Chris, I have said that all along. too much drag pressure in the wrong hands at the wrong time is dangerous crap in impoundments.

like your changed thinking on rods....when you break a few...cheaper quality rods begin to look very attractive. the price range you say is pretty good these days....although If you got an Egrell, you wouldnt be a follower mate....you would be a leader!! I think there may even be a 6'6 in the pipeline that would suit you down to the ground!

steve

G'day,
    I am still thinking about an Egrell BC but I don't know a lot about them, like how much of a difference is there betwee the Bear an Egrell blanks in the BC configuration. I probably feel that the Bear blanks would be more forgiving for me, would I be right in asuming that? Chris I have looked at the new Nitros and they're pretty sweet (Nashy's Complete Angler up here has them now) although as you say still not sure about a ferruled rod in a BC Barra stick, I dunno, any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

G'day again,
    was also thinking about one of the Diawa sticks but heard that on the recent ABT Barra tour quite a few were broken, so that sort of changed my mind quick smart.

Cheers

Chris

Spoken like a true rod builder Andrew! Im the other way around, I'd rather tip my coin into the reel, than the rod. There are some good "cheaper" sticks out there that cut the mustard, but poor reel choice will leave you cursing the whole day through if you are a caster.
    At least we agree on the choice of reels though!
    The bigest issue I have is "cracking" the end of the rod into the rails of the tinny on retrieves, no matter how careful I am, it still seems to happen every now and then. That leads to stress points and breakages under strain. (not much you can do when a big girl decides to dive under the kota on a short length of string except push the tip down deep and hope like hell ,lol)
    The drag thing? Nice to have it there, but really, unless your trying to turn their heads out of a big laydown snag that you cant drive the boat thru and chase, smoothness is far more important than ratings IMHO. The water rise this year put an end to a lot of the lock it down and dont give an inch type snag fishing, with more emphasis placed on points, weed beds and under water surface topography, for us anyway (Im only talking about Monduran and my limited experience here). Some of the 90+ fish from last week end didnt warant slipping the tie off rope, because they came from reasonably clean, open points, so 6, 8 or 10kg of drag is redundant.
    Its a changing fishery all the time, have a look on the water now and compare it with how people were fishing this time last year, or how many are stuggling to find a fish now compared to their trip last year? Change in style leads to change in gear, was it only 12 months ago Mondy was perceived as a "HB only" dam, except for the few in the know?
    Anyways, I digress, as usual. Interesting thread Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    all daiwa reels on my custom rods (of course!)

my fave and the combo responsible for nearly all my big fish is my steez 100H/ Hastings 65XH point casting SP outfit, loaded with 40lb nitlon/70lb FC... as with all my builds, the rod is set up for its intended use, with thought given to guide sizing for the generally larger leader knots of heavy FC, also leverage while casting and most importantly correct balance. you can have the lightest rod on the market but if it is poorly balanced it will be very tiring to use...i no longer own this rod, as Matt borrowed it for the ABT but liked it so much it has become a permanent part of his arsenal...not to worry another will take its place, most likely a 7' version to increase casting performance

after that, well probably my i'ze light/605DHX combo, although i'm finding it a little short for tinaroo it is excellent for surface and HB presentations where constant and violent twitch retrieves may be employed....i'm pretty sure this will be supersceded by my upcoming build, a 6'6" point casting HB outfit centred around a zillion HLC (light, unbelievably smooth!!) and a Hastings 664DHX blank, fast action with a bit of meat in the tip so as not to get overpowered launching long casts with big HB's but very light and perfectly balanced for comfort during long sessions...should be finished soon can't wait to break it in!

in all my years fishing with high end gear i have never once broken a rod...yea it seems to happen but if you buy the right gear to start with then unless it is due to misuse/abuse (stepping/closing a door on it are the most common, followed by incorrect technique like high rod angles with high drag settings) then you should never suffer the inconvenience of a busted rod

i for one would never settle for a cheaper rod on the off chance i may damage it, IMO the rod is far more important than the reel....
    So matt has pilfered your rod ....... It is a nice stick & something to be proud of! ...... The finish was immaculate
    ........ Now having said that ....... The combo was very heavy IMO & the hastings blank too rigid for my personal liking........ But thats just me

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post
    Well now, barra and gear, where do we begin? Up in the Kimberlies 30 years ago, the gear I had was a glass rod of indeterminate quality, coupled to a Mitchell 487 and 15 lb tortue. Abu killers were the No.1 lure.
    Now, having retired to Mackay, I have a Strudwick Sikstik 17lb 5'6", Abu Record 60, 20 lb Platypus superbraid and 1 metre of Jarvis Walker 40 lb leader.
    Then, there is the Samurai my son made up for me, tied on to An Abu Ambssadeur 5000C and 20 lb Platypus superbraid with same type JW leader.
    And an uglytick Gold with an Abu Ambassadeur 5500 C4 with, you guessed it 20 Platypus.....

The Abu Record/Strudwick combo.
    Showing your age Bobby.... Abu Killer what a lure, they were No 1 lure for many a year...I wished I still had mine.....Age don't mean a thing (61 next birthday)...I just consider myself lucky to be around then.....Great lure.....Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless