Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

This has come up before in the guise of PB barra debate. In then end it is up to the individual angler and what they are happy with. The important thing is to not knock others for what they are happy with. There is always someone out there who has more "elitist" form of fishing than you. I know people who will not count any form of dam barra, as they are "just for practice", and others who are happy with any barra they can get. If you don't feel you can count barra that have been trolled, then that is a personal choice for you and the challages you present yourself with when you fish.
    Just remember, in the end it is for your own personal enjoyment that you participate in this sport and how you get that enjoyment is up to you, not some other bloke who degrades what could be a personal catch of a lifetime.

goddy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Chris..

I can see where your coming from, and what your trying to say having done both myself. I have been guilty of 'trolling brigade' bashing (tounge in cheek fo course )from time to time, but I do respect the artform involved from the experts at trolling out there.

My PB salt barra came trolling up the middle of Nerlangi (cant spell) creek in Sth Aligator River NT with a gap between massive fallen trees no wider than 2 boats for a stretch of about 50m. It was an artform to work lures over the submerged stuff at the right time.....then if you hooked up.....keeping it out of the stuff you could see!! ooooh yeah, thats in raging current too. It was easier to tie up and cast, but we wanted the challenge too.

I too have witnessed the aiimless trolling in circles follow the leader style in the basin at Awoonga and Monduran......but in amongst them all is a couple of serious ones trolling contours, droppoffs, weededges and points with a bit of nouce. They get the lions share of fish here and awoonga.

Awoonga used to be my favorite place to troll. we only ever worked 2 points in 14-15 ft max of water and caught multitudes over a 4 year period.....often watching the crowds following each other out in the middle so they wouldnt get weed on there lures...or fish.

So its probably easy to say trolling doesnt count. but some people are experts at it, just like casting or fly....and we dont really notice. Its their choice, and it should count IMHO, especially if they have mastered a specific technique or presentation to catch fish.

A smart caster would be down in the basin casting the same points and dropoffs for the same horse fish!!!

Steve
    As I've said in other threads ........ There is a certain skill required to be a good troller ....... The guy I spoke to yesterday clearly was ( uses a down rigger & flat running lures) follows contours with a GPS & used a pretty good sounder to troll thermoclines - So it was scientific trolling!
    But in the end ....... I harped back on the camp ground discussions - I sort of felt well is that what it takes to catch a big mumma .......... There didn't seem to be that excitement - just a case of "Yeh we'll go out & do it again sort of thing"
    But hey ..... regardless Its a case of doing whatever you want to do

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

At this stage I'm going to remain conspicuous by my Absence.....Ho Ho Ho Ho
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    I was waiting for your comments mate

Too much political correctness on this topic ..... It must be the Festive Season - HUMBUG

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    hey Whitto,

Cant say Ho Ho Ho anymore......Its offensive to garden tools!!
    Steve

Chris,

I know what your saying now....Mate, the troll in cirlces and catch big fish will come to an end one day. Every year for the last few now has seen a decline in the number of XOS fish trolled up around the full moon. Why???? thats a whole new argument. I think the same said freezer/trophy brigade has a fair % of responsibility along with other natural factors.

History has proven, with the rapid migration from one 'hot' dam to another from Tinaroo thru to Monduran over past 10 yrs. the trollers have had a ball with big fish. When it gets tough, they just migrate to next dam that becomes 'hot' and fires up.!!!! But where to now after Monduran??? Theres no plan 'B' new dam to plunder now. They have all been hammered. Times change, and fishing techiniques will have to too. They already are.

Mother nature will do some culling over the next few years.....and it wont be the fish.

Steve

hey Whitto,

Steve
    Did it have a stutter
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

hey Whitto,

Steve

Chris,

I know what your saying now....Mate, the troll in cirlces and catch big fish will come to an end one day. Every year for the last few now has seen a decline in the number of XOS fish trolled up around the full moon. Why???? thats a whole new argument. I think the same said freezer brigade has a fair % of responsibility. I

History has proven, with the rapid migration from one 'hot' dam to another from Tinaroo thru to Monduran over past 10 yrs. the trollers have had a ball with big fish. When it gets tough, they just migrate to next dam that becomes 'hot' and fires up.!!!! But where to now after Monduran??? Theres no plan 'B' new dam to plunder now. They have all been hammered. Times change, and fishing techiniques will have to too. They already are.

Mother nature will do some culling over the next few years.....and it wont be the fish.

Steve
    AAhhh Shite...Sorry.....Sl.t Sl.t Sl.t Mary Xmas sorry all the Garden Tools out there PS IM waiting for Daryl to logon
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

hey chris,

a similar question could be asked about weed beds v timber...awoonga v monduran..( although there is good weed a mondy also)...my only mtr fish (103).came from casting weed at awoonga, and came to the net relativley easily. but the memory of a fish up at H at mondy which i called for 90-100, was a much , much harder task,several rattlin leaps and knitted in submerged timber ,peelin near locked drag..didnt get the fish but had bloody ball trying.(f#*k i wish i got that fish.)..still being quite green at the barra scene ( but learning every trip) dont mind a troll and a beer but have never hooked one trollin,and would claim the mtr if i do.....three different senarios of catchin barra, but yea would claim the mtr caught in each one....even trollin...

cheers deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

woo merry x-mas i just turned gold....
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    I think trolling counts after all our most famous barra comps in Australia are held in the NT and you are allowed to troll. It is just the Lake anglers who have been sucked into the Americian bass sytle fishing and comps that say trolling is not a true way of anglering.

Twitch, Twitch
    Foxie
    yes i agree with you foxie trolling is a rewarding way for sure and we seem to follow the yanks for some strange reason . do we have to do everything they do the same big flash boats flash shirts only the best gear out there is execepeted . this is all aim at making money for the suppliers of all this stuff lets stick to the aussie way relax afternoon running back and forth over a sounded up point or drop off in our flanny and cubra hat and the footy or races playing on our little radio in the back ground now that the way it suppose to be a relaxing activity to ease the stresses of work not a comp who is better then the other cuase on caught one trolling and one caught one cast of one caught one live baiting to me there all as equal as the other i belive you have to be versitle to the sitution if trolling is whats catching the fish them so be it if live bait is then so be it if luring in the sticks is so be it . I was brought up on the basic a prawn on a hook with a small leader and sinker casting in a deep hole waiting for a preditor .Have we all forgotten what this funny game fishing is all about ffffffiiiiiiiisshhhhiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggg

But hey thats just my thoughts each to there own

It's all fishing.

I've been told trolling is simply towing a piece of plastic/wood/metal/feather and hoping!!

I've also been told that casting is simply trowing & retrieving a piece of plastic/wood/metal/feather and hoping!!

Like all fishing you can be as leisurly or methodical as you want.

For me it's more a case of what works at the time. I've been out with dedicated casters and trollers who will simply not try any other way to fish even if they get zilch. Is that the mark of a good angler!!

To me catching fish is the aim and I'll use/try/change methods untill I get results.

Luc

hey Whitto,

Steve

Chris,

I know what your saying now....Mate, the troll in cirlces and catch big fish will come to an end one day. Every year for the last few now has seen a decline in the number of XOS fish trolled up around the full moon. Why???? thats a whole new argument. I think the same said freezer/trophy brigade has a fair % of responsibility along with other natural factors.

Steve

Had that very same conversation with a mate not that long ago Steve!

Well ...... I'm clearly off the mark here based on the general consensus

better go crawl under the bed & give myself an uppercut

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mate .... I threw it out there knowing that I'm going to get smashed " Hence the being controversial"
    PBs are PBs ..... That's all there is to that ...... its your own!
    People that troll ...... for what ever reason Injury , age , lazy , inexperienced etc ..... its all good - They are fishing
    But lets face it (& be realistic)........ its not the same. .. I have a chuckle to my self when someone tells me it is........ having caught meteries both way

Chris

PS - I'll say it again - no disrespect to those that troll

PPS - As for game fish (sailfish marlin etc) - they have line classes to distinguish merit ...... & there is a separate category for fly
    Chris,

Well you better advise all the fisherman in the NT that the fish that they catch in the Barra Classic don't count.

This topic was covered in my post just a month ago about PB Barra does it count.

Firstly if its a legally caught fish it counts.

The elitist attitude of a minority of fisherman who think that what they do is better than anyone else is stupid.

Secondly comments such as above in regard to age, disability etc are discrimatory and should not have been used in that context..

Yes I have been fishing for Barra for a few decades and to think just because someone fairly new on the scene, decides that they wish to boast, that their methods are better than others is a load of garbage.

Yes, you got a reaction but as above, think about what you post as those people who have been doing it for along time have a lot of knowledge, a lot of what you have learnt has been passed down over the years.

Not impressed with the tone and the way it was put. (Perhaps you are keen to get a lot of posts up, but a bit of thought might have been needed this time)

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

well I reckon it's a bit like getting a *** job from a really ugly chick.
    Still feels great, but you just don't brag about it to all your mates

OK, so maybe a few close ones....
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)