Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with hooks....

Re: Help with hooks....

why don't you try a muruto 10/0 from wellsy is only $2.00
    fairly similar in design as the sl12.no need to buy brand name gear when you can get somthing cheaper and does the same job..but if your happy using the sl12 why change because someone else says so.

I have been using those muruto hooks and they are great. A lot cheaper as well

The $2 Maruto hooks from Wellsys are not much like an SL12 at all.

Diffrent points one is turned in one is parralel and the big diffrence is the SL12 is a fine gauge hook.

Quote Originally Posted by dww13 View Post
    The $2 Maruto hooks from Wellsys are not much like an SL12 at all.

Diffrent points one is turned in one is parralel and the big diffrence is the SL12 is a fine gauge hook.
    exactly rite

Quote Originally Posted by yalta View Post
    fairly similar in design as the sl12.no need to buy brand name gear when you can get somthing cheaper and does the same job..but if your happy using the sl12 why change because someone else says so.
    Because if I can get years out of these hooks like Gavin has I will be savin alot of
    money....

Quote Originally Posted by yalta View Post
    Are you using them on the lures you make ?

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    Are you using them on the lures you make ?
    yes gamakatsu and maruto.depends on who wants what.

Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

I dont know how you could get years out of a light tackle hook unless u arent catching fish, some of the early trials on blues showed there lifespan measured in seconds once a fish jumped on. the points get damaged from pliers and hard bone, or they get bent on the leader or opened by the jaws, sl12 are a throw away item but i treat all hooks as throw aways, false ecomomy to use an iffy hook

Trust me Gavin catchs alot of big fish all the time.... If u ever go on the boat u will understand why gavins stuff lasts so long....

So wots everyones fav skirt for blue and black marlin.... The winner on watch tower is the black Bart 1656....

Like Brisbane boy said, light gauge hooks shouldnt last long unless you arent catching many fish. The old LGS mustads were great hooks but finding them in 10/0 any more is hard work. Alot of guys seam to be turning to jobus for SEQ blue marlin. Ive got my blue lures rigged on LGS and katanas. We have straightened a few Katanas on blues pretty easy though.

IS gav the new owner of Watch tower? is it still in hervey bay?

Yeh he has owned it for awhile.... And watch tower runs off the gold coast.... Go to offshore reports and look at seaprobe kingies, there are two reports check out both...

The same blackwatch that was owned by Rob Wood run out of bundy im assuming?

Yeh that could be it.... I know he got it from sumwhere up north... Hav you
    fished much on watch tower???

I dont think you'll be that happy with katana's... Plenty of fish have been lost to broken Katana's If your really keen on trying something differant have a look at some of the Jig hooks on the market, strong as and very very sharp!!

Btw the last thing i would be worried about is actually changing a hook in a lure if the hook had resulted in a tagged Blue!

Like Jeffo i like the LGS 10/0 but to hard to get so i've rigged with 9/0 Jobu's

ian

Look at the Owner SJ-41TG Jig hook as another option, it's not SS though!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!