Thread: new sounders

new sounders

Ive not been keeping up with all the new sounders and had a play at bcf with the Lowrance elite ti and I was very impressed how good they have gotten so much more user friendly and I've seen the Raymarine axiom on youtube and it was even more impressive.

So what is the best one out there I see the Garmin is way cheaper for some unites, but for the money what is better these days Raymarine or Lowrance I've thought about upgrading but I'm a bit confused after playing with this new technology.

Re: new sounders

Mate I have had a dislike for lowrance products since I bought my Furuno 12 years ago , but having been out on 3 seperate boats all supported by lowrance products I feel I would buy one as they are extremely good now as far as ability goes with side imaging and down imaging it’s a whole new world . For price point I think they are good value unless you get a dud , but the two charter blokes iv been with and a bloke up here in Cooktown iv been fishing with I would say they are great value . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks for that Matt, yer I liked what I saw for the price and what you got for it ,the new touch screens are so good these days its like they have listened too what fishers have asked for with ease of use ,the rays looked good to use as well just slide what you want on your screen in any format very clever and handy.

I never thought the touch screens would be as good as they are but I haven't fish with one when you have grubby fishy fingers.

Simrad is a good brand but very expensive, i have been reading about the Lowrance there are a few people having problems but a ton of users liking the new models

I like the hook 12" everyone is saying they are very simple to use i have never used one tho would be good to see how close the gps pin points u

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Thanks for that Matt, yer I liked what I saw for the price and what you got for it ,the new touch screens are so good these days its like they have listened too what fishers have asked for with ease of use ,the rays looked good to use as well just slide what you want on your screen in any format very clever and handy.

I never thought the touch screens would be as good as they are but I haven't fish with one when you have grubby fishy fingers.
    Mate they have a number of screen setting you can scroll through and the detail is unbelievable you CAN see individual fish , have a look at Ryan Moodies site on Facebook he does instructional videos . Like I said I had a dislike for them but having recently seen them for myself they are great , get as big a screen as you can afford the detail is great . We could see a sunken hull like a photo and fish on side scan ,it was unreal . ,
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yeah I love touchscreen. I have the Garmin Plus 95SV and I wouldnt go back to cursor. It has pre-set buttons you can program for different screen set ups etc. I am impressed by the GT52 trans - high wide. You can add Garmin ultra (like Mega but not quite as sharp, but a lot cheaper) and the Livescope (that including trans and black box is about $1,700 - Trymax for eg has it at that price from memory).

Having said that I reckon Humminbird's sidescan might be a tad more informative and Garmin's traditional Chirp might still be ahead of H'bird. But I cant comment on Lowrance as I havent seen a recent set doing its thing.

Doesnt seem like there is much in it between the major brands anymore (save for Furuno that are great kit but dont have side imaging last time I looked). I saw pics of Simrads images which were fantastic in detail.

I suppose if you do shallow water and want to see a video of the fish swimming around and your lure relative to the fish then Garmin have the market cornered. I am in 2 minds about Livescope. I love the idea of getting the kids and I onto fish better but do you spend then too much time looking at the screen like a computer game and less time enjoying the surrounds and the other stuff...

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Simrad is a good brand but very expensive, i have been reading about the Lowrance there are a few people having problems but a ton of users liking the new models

I like the hook 12" everyone is saying they are very simple to use i have never used one tho would be good to see how close the gps pin points u

I have seen some youtube on the Simrad and liked it too but as you say expencive by the time you add everything you need to buy,i think Simrad are priced like this to sell the lowrance.

What ive been a puzzled about is how the side scan works with the motor in the way[prop and leg] you would think there would be a bit of interference as the new all in one transducers are very long.

its a fun world out there in marine tech! Scary... but fun...
    Side scan tech has come a long way, Humminbird with its new mega imaging plus is still ahead, it just does it so well, other brands are way better than they used to be, But Hbird are still market leader
    Side scan often "but not always" shoots down and out to the side.. not straight out.. meaning it will often miss legs/props/prop wash . thoug hthey can still be a factor on some hulls.

its going to sound a bit of a love -in for Hbird. but their new dual spectrum chirp traditional sonar i would also say is one of the best "factory transducer options, i still see better results from the likes of larger airmar systems"

Id say Simrad/raymarine/garmin all have rather good traditional CHIRP. Garmin offers a fair few variaties with transducers of their own, does aid in dialing in the correct one for your fishing type

Touch screen has come a long way as well , its not so much of an issue really. a bit of TLC and it will work just fine
    Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Thanks for that Moose that helps me understand how it gets past the leg, thats a lot of white fella magic going on in these new sounders now days.

Hi Moose

I am a lost in understanding your thought that the H'bird but their new dual spectrum chirp traditional sonar i would also say is one of the best "factory transducer options, i still see better results from the likes of larger airmar systems"
    does this mean that the factory tranducer gives a better result than the airmar tranducers on them OR with when used ith a
    larger airmar systems the results are even better

cheers
    stevet

So airmar makes transducers that just about all brands utalize. and they are very good. the 175HW is an exceptional shallow water transducer for example
    But brands also produce their own transducers. usually lower power and now with combination side/down high frequency.
    Of all those factory transducers
    "Active imaging, Totalscan. GT, realvision etc" the Humminbirds DUAL SPECTRUM chirp transducer is very good.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Hi moose

thank you for the clarification - much appreciate your thoughts, expertise, time and invaluable contributions

cheers steve