Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fillet a Flathead

Re: How to fillet a Flathead

Wish i'd watched this video before i trying to fillet ( butcher) the flattie I caught at Touchy's, great video cheers Mike

ya get that Mike.

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

that could be useful next time i catch a bigflathead

There is another way to do them by filleting,skining and de boning all in one step.Will see if i can post up the video when found.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannos View Post
    There is another way to do them by filleting,skining and de boning all in one step.Will see if i can post up the video when found.
    Great video, I just tried it on the little flatheads I caught today.
    What I found with the little flatheads, is that you dont need to flatten the flathead before skinning. Instead, I went back as per video right back to the tail, and before the tail is chopped I reverse the blade and start skinning. That way you can still hold the fish. It worked a treat. Still have to cut a v to remove the backbone though.

great video.

I have been trying to find a video, which shows how to debone a flathead without taking fillets off.
    Saw it done at Bruny Island a couple of years back and thought the video at start of this thread might have been the one I am looking for.

Unfortunately all that is shown is a black square and no video.

Anyone help?

Pedro

That is what I am seeing Pedro must be something to do with our computer settings.

Thanks maybe someone will have a suggestion.

I fillet flathead as per excellent video but on larger flathead I do not cut the bones out. I find there is a lot of flesh around the bones and the bones are quite large it is easy to eat around the bones. After you have taken the skin of as per video I just cut the fillet in half just below where the bones/rib cavity finishes, this way you will be left with the tail section free of bones this part I let the missus or kids have and the bones/rib section is what I have. You will find that with larger flatties it is easy to eat and the large bones don't present a problem. Best way to cook is roll fillet in plain flour, then dunk in beaten egg then roll/coat in Panko brand Japanese bread crumbs. I like to deep fry my fillets , I use Rice Bran oil. ( not Brand) and make sure you have the oil hot enough and remove fillets when golden brown. Do not put fillets in one after the other continuously, put two or three in and when cooked and removed from oil let the oil heat back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro14 View Post
    I have been trying to find a video, which shows how to debone a flathead without taking fillets off.
    Saw it done at Bruny Island a couple of years back and thought the video at start of this thread might have been the one I am looking for.

Unfortunately all that is shown is a black square and no video.

Anyone help?

Pedro
    I liked the look of this one Pedro but i will have to actually catch a flathead to try it. No doubt someone that actually GOES fishing will let me know how it works.
    Last edited by odieman150; 03-10-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: 4got the link

Quote Originally Posted by odieman150 View Post
    I liked the look of this one Pedro but i will have to actually catch a flathead to try it. No doubt someone that actually GOES fishing will let me know how it works.
    odieman, you are the man.
    That is the one and the only suggestion from memory where it changes is that when cutting down the backbone leave about 11/2 inches to the tail and turn over holding the tail end as you pull the skin back towards the head.

Pedro

Another variation that debones and skins

Pedro