Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I've bought a boat

Re: So I've bought a boat

If I can help at all Sheik, please dont hessitate to pm or call me, I fly in on Friday morning and leave saturday pm late, more than willing to give a hand.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    ...and it's a 5 metre glass with a 90. NOw it's on a canal and the trailer can't now get out from the canal onto the road as he's built in since buying the boat originally. I've heard of people strapping their trailers to the boat and going quietly through the canals to the nearest ramp. Anyone ever done this? Tried to find some reference to this but havent been able to. Can't think of the key words to put in the search. Help anyone?
    Dad and I did it twice (once going in, another going out when sold) with our 23' Sharkcat mate. Ratchet strapped the trailer very securely to the boat with special attention paid to no allowed fore/aft movement and motored at idle around to the ramp. Distance of a few klm.
    We DID have a sturdy dolly wheel bolted toward the front of the trailer though, that helped when approaching the ramp and stopped the coupling of the trailer striking the ramp. Not sure how your trailer is set up? Our required that on the ramp because the ramp transitioned from around 10 degrees to 20 degrees as it was winched up toward the house.

A mate then used our ramp and did the exact same thing with his 24' Savage flybridge.

You other option is to float it out using some 44 gallon drums without the boat on it. Either way its a bit of fun and an adventure

Shouldn't worry the bearing unless the seals are already buggered. They go underwater when launch/retrieved anyway.

Sheik,
    How'd you get on with the trailer, did you get it done, do you need help, if so when.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    You can get a permit to tow the trailer home on the day. It's doesn't cost anything. Just make sure the lights work, or make up a light board so you don't have to dunk them with the trailer. If the bearings have been in and out of the water for 18 months, it'd be a pretty good idea to change them when you get home too.
    Costs $27 per day for permit BTW

Quote Originally Posted by sharkcat 23 View Post
    Sheik,
    How'd you get on with the trailer, did you get it done, do you need help, if so when.
    Doug
    Hey Doug, thanks for the offer. giong to pick it up Friday and at this point will be taking the wheels off and hopefully a couple of my four sons will be along to give me a hand to lift it along the side of his house. But thanks again for the offermate.

Sheik,
    No worries mate, enjoy the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkcat 23 View Post
    Sheik,
    No worries mate, enjoy the boat.
    Well, I hope I do. Hope it's not a lemon...