Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Ausfish.

Team Ausfish.

For the last two years Luke(Funchy) and myself have competed in the Flatty Classic.

It is with great regret that my ol mate Luke cant make this years event, so this opens up a spot for anyone willing to have to fish for three days straight, drink lots of beers of a night, have a sence of humor when the fish arnt biting, put up with me, be totally spent at the end of day three...

If your from out of town im willing to open up my house to you so accommodation is looked after. By the time of the comp i will be living on the coomera river just across from sanc cove.

We can use my boat which is a 4.5m center consol 70 4s yam, or if you have or prefer to use a more better fitted out tournament boat thats fine too. Your boat will be behind locked gates and under cover every night.

Alternatively if your already entering the comp and need another team mate im ya man...

so if you think you have what is takes

please read the attach
    http://www.goldcoastsportfishingclub...thead-classic/

thanks for your time

Blog Entries

Re: Team Ausfish.

Sorry I can't make it Wayno.... Next year Bro

To anyone considering it Wayno is a top bloke. Both him and his missus (Gwenny) are down to earth people with no bullsh|t.

Good luck mate. I look forward to seeing you climb the leader board!!

mate you'll always be my wing man..

Hope you find a team mate for this year. Let me know if you need anything again this year.

Thanks Steve.

I was thinking of going (if the weather isn't great up at 1770 that is ) so if your still looking for someone I would be interested.

Have you read the link?

you right with the dates and $$$ involved?

I cant wait for it again this year,will see you for a beer over that weekend wayno, good luck with gettn someone else. For anyone considering it is the best weekend going i think, heaps of fun..
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Sorry I can't make it Wayno.... Next year Bro

To anyone considering it Wayno is a top bloke. Both him and his missus (Gwenny) are down to earth people with no bullsh|t.

Good luck mate. I look forward to seeing you climb the leader board!!
    You have hardly put your big toe in the water these last few months, you'll get dry rot soon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    You have hardly put your big toe in the water these last few months, you'll get dry rot soon.
    Sunday morning yak session in the passage..... You up for it?

Funchy I am up there sat night fishing the bramble bay fishing club overnight meeting. If I see some yaks I will give you a shout. Don't like the forcast for Sat. 20kn S turning SE later. Will be a bit uncomfortable but at least i will be fishing. Feel free to Pm any tips for fishing the Caloundra reach of the passage

Still Dreamin. I will throw some advice in on chasing bream in the Caloundra area of Pumicestone. I used to do a heap to tagging of bream up there a few years ago. Grab some chook pellets and soak them in tuna oil for a berley. I use one of those blue berley pots with the screw off lid. Drop a couple of good weights into it and fill with the choo pellets. tie a rope to the pot and drop overboard until about a foot off the bottom. The best bait bar none is strips of chicken breast meat.

I used to look for areas of small rises and melon holes in the bottom. Easy to see in daylight as there will be lots of swirls in the water. Maybe a bit harder to see on a windy day. Usually only fished in a metre or so of water along the edge of the channel and often on the run in tide moved up into even shallower water. Rig was a sinker just heavy enough to get the bait to the bottom above a swivel, and around a metre of trace to a size 2 wide gape hook. Cast out into the berley trail and drop the rod into a rod holder and wait for it to fold over. Easy fishing - sit back sipping a mug of hot coffee and the fish come to you. With the wide gape hooks, most fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth. We used to crimp the barbs and this made for easy and quick dehooking. It was not unusual for us to each tag in excess of 50 bream for an evening up there using this method and on a couple of occasions we got over the ton each for the evening and were normally off the water by mid night.

The mate (Pete) that I fished with used to be a member of the Bramble Bay Club so he knew the area well.

Cheers

Jeff

At Locker Waters, can't get out of it, enjoy Sunday. Was surprised you weren't out Friday afternoon as no wind and falling tide, your favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by Short Fuse View Post
    Still Dreamin. I will throw some advice in on chasing bream in the Caloundra area of Pumicestone. I used to do a heap to tagging of bream up there a few years ago. Grab some chook pellets and soak them in tuna oil for a berley. I use one of those blue berley pots with the screw off lid. Drop a couple of good weights into it and fill with the choo pellets. tie a rope to the pot and drop overboard until about a foot off the bottom. The best bait bar none is strips of chicken breast meat.

I used to look for areas of small rises and melon holes in the bottom. Easy to see in daylight as there will be lots of swirls in the water. Maybe a bit harder to see on a windy day. Usually only fished in a metre or so of water along the edge of the channel and often on the run in tide moved up into even shallower water. Rig was a sinker just heavy enough to get the bait to the bottom above a swivel, and around a metre of trace to a size 2 wide gape hook. Cast out into the berley trail and drop the rod into a rod holder and wait for it to fold over. Easy fishing - sit back sipping a mug of hot coffee and the fish come to you. With the wide gape hooks, most fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth. We used to crimp the barbs and this made for easy and quick dehooking. It was not unusual for us to each tag in excess of 50 bream for an evening up there using this method and on a couple of occasions we got over the ton each for the evening and were normally off the water by mid night.

The mate (Pete) that I fished with used to be a member of the Bramble Bay Club so he knew the area well.

Cheers

Jeff
    Jeff, I normally use chicken breast but in the last week small trips of gar or piece of peeled prawn the size of your thumbnail out fished the chicken breast by far, in fact the chicken hardly got touched. Could be my chicken but back neighbour was out yesterday and said it was very slow and he uses chicken breast yet we had plenty of hits on the gar and prawn. I normally don't carry prawn except my wife likes it and is the only bait she will handle so I had some left over when my brother called in and we went out. I agree that berley works well but I do find I get a lot of rats amongst them then I have to resort to using dough baits to entice the bigger ones.
    Another area is the deeper water near the big sand bank between the power boat club and bribe island, the incoming bream will forage onto the flats as the tide rises and will leave the flats as the tide falls.

Hi Dignity. I agree that the berley can attract a lot of smaller fish to the boat. That never used to worry us as tagging was always about a numbers game and the more fish we could tag in one location in a session the better it was as it gave us a lot of information as recaptures came in as the fish moved back throughout the passage and back into Moreton Bay. We used to tag any fish over 20cms in length. Ended up tagging over 2000 bream in the Caloundra area over 3 winters, and the mate I fished with tagged a similar number.

It took me a few trips to become a convert to the chicken breast bait, but in the end we never took anything else. We did experience a few quiet nights where not many fish were caught, but generally when fishing the full moon tides caught lots of fish. One one of our club trips up there, one member took chicken thighs because they were cheaper to buy, but he hardly caught a fish on that as bait. His saving grace was he put his bait on the club BBQ back at the ramp later that night so it did not go to waste. In fishing a comp, I would take a couple of different back up baits just to be sure.

cheers

Jeff