Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: leatherjackets 2011

Re: leatherjackets 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Muzz,
    Let me know how your spotting went. Hopefully leathers will be around in plagues soon.

Murf, have you got the items that I ordered from you?

Cheers, Bondy
    not yet Bondy, Tuesday I will be in town next

went out again this morning and got another 52 huge slimies and 7 trag and a few snapper, am gathering bait for Agnes Water how good is the ocean to be on atm bloody used 5 lt of fuel today

cheers Murf

Ok, thanks Murf,

You're doing well at the moment.

Never been to Agnes Waters, what's mostly caught there at the time you're going?

Can you send me a pm with your details and I'll place the money in your account or wait until I see you at Muzz's place?

Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Ok, thanks Murf,

Never been to Agnes Waters, what's mostly caught there at the time you're going?

Cheers, Bondy
    not much but all the hoo har is over red emperor

target reef fish like red throat, coral trout, tuskies, cod

Craig is headed out to the 42's today so will see what his report is on the jackets

cheers Murf

Ive been wainting on Uncle Steve (Rabbi) to fill eveyone in on the jacket plague but looks like everyone is keen to hear so I'll jump in. The word is that one of the pro's emptied 120kg of jackets out of one trap Friday. Im not sure if it was the same pro, but 'a pro', managed 400kg of jackets for the day yesterday. They were thick enough to chew through 2 trap ropes causing the loss of both traps. I wonder how long those bloody things will lay on the bottom catching fish that nobody will ever see.

Hey Murf how did you go , you still there ,a nice 2 foot swell today.
    Dont forget that big disc of meat behind the eyes mmmmmmmmm ,good chewin,from any fish the bigger the fish the bigger the disc of cheek meat .
    Shut up and fish

I guess it's up to me then, ...............

Trusted deckie Ida (AF member) & I went for a look this morning,
    was pretty buggered after work yesterday, so a late start was called.

We managed to be motoring down the river about 8am, to a pretty cruisey bar near the top of the tide,

We had an interesting moment just after our crossing when us & another smaller boat had to pull up when we found ourselves on top of a whale "footprint" (slick spot in the water ).

The ocean was less fun than predicted, with a very sloppy swell.
    The journey 6 miles east of the bar was un-eventful apart from the occasional curse when I read the swell wrong.

On arrival, we found my work supervisor fishing the same spot....ok.
    I asked if he had found jackets yet, he said he had just arrived also & hadn't dropped yet.

On our first drop, Ida was bitten off almost immediately, hmmmmm.
    No prizes for guessing how our day went, a SHIT-LOAD of jackets,

we were back in the river by 11am.

Just a word of caution to any-one attempting our bar,

we came home through the usual channel,
    only to find a swell rolling from the North created a T-bone effect
    right at the critical part of the crossing,
    nearly had my deckie having kittens as he thought I hadn't seen it coming.......
    so be BLOODY CAREFUL

Muzz

I have pics if anyone wants them.

Muzz

Muzz,

Good to know they are about then. Let me know what day to come down and time, Hope the sea will be relatively calm and the bar not tempered.

Cheers, Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by stonecold View Post
    Ive been wainting on Uncle Steve (Rabbi) to fill eveyone in on the jacket plague but looks like everyone is keen to hear so I'll jump in. The word is that one of the pro's emptied 120kg of jackets out of one trap Friday. Im not sure if it was the same pro, but 'a pro', managed 400kg of jackets for the day yesterday. They were thick enough to chew through 2 trap ropes causing the loss of both traps. I wonder how long those bloody things will lay on the bottom catching fish that nobody will ever see.

Sorry mate,
    Too busy chewin my way through a tub of jackets. ( they are justabout giving em away)
    Steamed jackets on a bed of rice with home made spicy sweet n sour sauce.
    Better than those suckface salmon.
    Hey Muzz, at least the fishing is predictable unlike our wonderful Ballina bar.
    Maybe the jackets have scared off the salmon and might be worth a shot at a jew???
    Uncle Steve.

your bar must be very ordinary as the seas down here have been magic, so when the Balina bar is bad the Evans is good and vice versa? as in Evans is good in a Southerly swell? just asking questions so I can keep an eye on the weather forecasts

cheers Murf

Going to Wooyung beach maybe Wednesday and have a chance at getting Tailor and Salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    your bar must be very ordinary as the seas down here have been magic, so when the Balina bar is bad the Evans is good and vice versa? as in Evans is good in a Southerly swell? just asking questions so I can keep an eye on the weather forecasts

cheers Murf
    Hi Murf,
    The Evans bar is protected by the headland in a southerly but open from the east and north.
    The Ballina bar is just open and cops swell from all directions.
    Along with a nasty sandbank that runs from the end of the south wall at ballina across the bar in a NNE direction it becomes quite hazardous in any sort of blow and we will often see sand being picked up in the waves at 100m outside the bar.

The norm up til recently was to cut across the bar from 100m from the end of the north wall and head SE across the face of the bar to the south wall but the sandbar has made this a treacherous approach now and following the North channel along the wall and turning NE at the end of the bar seems safer but old habits die hard and I have personally seen boats still try to go out or come in straight up the middle or from the south east and it does get ugly at times.
    Smaller nippy boats would seem to have less problems than the larger craft.
    I went out with Samsy a few days back in a smaller Glass boat, around 4.6m Tri hull with a 70 on the back in very ordinary conditions and I felt really comfortable zipping around the waves at the bar as it was small enough and quick enough to out manoeuvre the swell and breaking waves, and bagged out on Red harrys on SPs
    Dead flat today, apparently!!
    Cheers, Uncle Steve.

Just had a look at Coastalwatch Surfcam for Ballina and its getting towards low tide.
    If anyone wants to see the sandbar it is quite flat on the bar but the sandbank is very obvious still.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Just had a look at Coastalwatch Surfcam for Ballina and its getting towards low tide.
    If anyone wants to see the sandbar it is quite flat on the bar but the sandbank is very obvious still.
    Cheers
    thanks for that info I had forgotten about surf cams, the Coffs one does not show me too much other than the amount of trailers in the car park

cheers Murf

Yeah Murf,
    The surfcam shows a south facing view of the main beach, north and south wall and river mouth, which the surfcam zooms in on.
    Unfortunately it goes offline quite often due to the local surfers thinking the break on main beach/north wall is their little secret.
    A bar cam on the VMR tower is long overdue mate.