Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairns wind

Re: Cairns wind

Think you are right don- it's getting a bit past funny now.

Scuttlebutt, couldn't you have waited for the 3pm update I too saw the 9am update and thought you beauty!! it's a tease thats what it is LOL

I am seriously thinking of heading out in 20kn if it doesn't come good in the next 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Think you are right don- it's getting a bit past funny now.

Scuttlebutt, couldn't you have waited for the 3pm update I too saw the 9am update and thought you beauty!! it's tease thats what it is LOL

I am seriously thinking of heading out in 20kn if it doesn't come good in the next 3 weeks.

I hear ya, I am starting to get impatient as well. Unbelievable. I have serious withdrawals at the moment.

Pazz

When I die I'm guna kick the sh#t out of God for this constant year in year out bombardment of 20-25 knot winds. I've got a 5.2m glass boat and it handles 15knots well but I've done the push too the reef in that crap too many times to count n its always expensive n never fun so now I just wait for good weather. 2 of my mates have big 8m boats n we've done the push in them too n even in them its not fun, alot drier n alot more comfy but in that wind out there every thing is hard the boat never sits right n the water is always too dirty to spear n holy f#ck I'm sick of this f#cking wind when it lets up it better do it for a few days cause my freezer is empty i need a good feed of trout cause I cant bring myself to eat that bait people call spanish mackrel I need that white flesh from the reef. Anyway who started talking about the wind I'm going outside now to throw rocks at the clouds as the fly by at a rediculous speed

Quote Originally Posted by D river View Post
    When I die I'm guna kick the sh#t out of God for this constant year in year out bombardment of 20-25 knot winds. I've got a 5.2m glass boat and it handles 15knots well but I've done the push too the reef in that crap too many times to count n its always expensive n never fun so now I just wait for good weather. 2 of my mates have big 8m boats n we've done the push in them too n even in them its not fun, alot drier n alot more comfy but in that wind out there every thing is hard the boat never sits right n the water is always too dirty to spear n holy f#ck I'm sick of this f#cking wind when it lets up it better do it for a few days cause my freezer is empty i need a good feed of trout cause I cant bring myself to eat that bait people call spanish mackrel I need that white flesh from the reef. Anyway who started talking about the wind I'm going outside now to throw rocks at the clouds as the fly by at a rediculous speed
    Ha Ha H. That's a good one. Throwing rocks at clouds.

I know how you feel. I don't mind being out there when it blows up, but nothing worse then punching it all the way to get there. You are buggared by the time your there. Then spend all day trying to wedge yourself in the boat so you don't fall over.

My freezer is pretty empty, only got a few packets of barra and it's got nothing on Trout.

Pazz

Constant 20 - 25kn winds during winter. Cyclones during summer.
    Stingers during the warmer months.

Can someone explain to me why I want to live up there.

When is the best time of year for a good window of opportunity weather wise for boating and diving?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Defore View Post
    Constant 20 - 25kn winds during winter. Cyclones during summer.
    Stingers during the warmer months.

Can someone explain to me why I want to live up there.

When is the best time of year for a good window of opportunity weather wise for boating and diving?

Ian
    Ian you are so right, plus the fishing is up to no good, you are better off staying down there

Quote Originally Posted by DOGFIGHT View Post
    Ian you are so right, plus the fishing is up to no good, you are better off staying down there
    Couldn't agree more, for two days after my last trip out i had a sore back, arms and hands....was the result of all the afterwork needed to clean the boat....honest

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Gotta agree with D river. Got about 10 packs of Spaniard left in the freezer and I'm getting sick of it.

Hey Scuttlebutt and guys !! while the prevailing winds are stronger sth easterlies off cairns right thru winter, this year has been unusual in that there has been virtually no windows as we call them or let up from the wind. I have been fishing off shore here for 24 years and I would have to say the absence of those short widows of a drop in winds for a day or two is what is different this year.

This is the first year in 24 that I have no fish at all in the freezer at all at this time of year.

But, it will change and if a break comes on the weekend, it will be chaos at the ramps and I would think seriously about going out to my closer marks owing to the amount of boats that will be out there.

Too many prime marks I have gained since the inception of GPS to give them up to the multitudes.
    Sorry

John

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I've done the push too the reef in that crap too many times to count n its always expensive n never fun so now I just wait for good weather.
    Good call. Going out to get a pocketful of rocks myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Hey Scuttlebutt and guys !! while the prevailing winds are stronger sth easterlies off cairns right thru winter, this year has been unusual in that there has been virtually no windows as we call them or let up from the wind. I have been fishing off shore here for 24 years and I would have to say the absence of those short widows of a drop in winds for a day or two is what is different this year.

This is the first year in 24 that I have no fish at all in the freezer at all at this time of year.

But, it will change and if a break comes on the weekend, it will be chaos at the ramps and I would think seriously about going out to my closer marks owing to the amount of boats that will be out there.

Too many prime marks I have gained since the inception of GPS to give them up to the multitudes.
    Sorry

John
    I've been through patches were we get down to the sh*t at the bottoms the freezer we don't really want to eat. But this year is an exception. Haven't been out since the end of may.

I have to seriously think of going to any of my good marks including ones out wide in the next break because every bar*tard seems to have radar etc now days and they pick you up from miles away. There aren't too many spots that people don't have tho.

Pazz

Hey Bud Just remember he (God) has a significantly boot when it comes to entering butt kickin competions! LOL
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    I've been through patches were we get down to the sh*t at the bottoms the freezer we don't really want to eat. But this year is an exception. Haven't been out since the end of may.

I have to seriously think of going to any of my good marks including ones out wide in the next break because every bar*tard seems to have radar etc now days and they pick you up from miles away. There aren't too many spots that people don't have tho.

Pazz
    Yeah Paz thats why I like going way wide at nights to get clear of most of the herd. Also I can get out on a lot of week nights so that is a bonus for me.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Last time the wind was down I did a few trips. One on a Wed morning out from Yorkeys with the missus. We got to the ramp late (about 8.00am) thinking there wouldn't be many out mid-week. Wrong. Had to park back on the main road! Still caught heaps of trout tho.

Gotta look to the positives. Along with the 30% green zones the reef is practically in a weather-imposed closed season. Getting some good recovery-time so it's not all bad. When the weather comes good the fishing should be great.

just to rub it in - and to demonstrate what we haven't been getting this year - it does sometimes get calm up here this time of year - definitely not this year though.

June 2 years ago......