Thread: Spearing kits

Spearing kits

Just wanted to see some pics of some peoples spearfishing kits, I.e,what they have in it, speargun, floats n what not.

cheers,
    Chris
    Gilli

Most sports require one ball..... Fishing requires two

GO326Q
    4M tinnie with 25hp johnson
    Call ova for a chat if you see me out on the water

Re: Spearing kits

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    Just wanted to see some pics of some peoples spearfishing kits, I.e,what they have in it, speargun, floats n what not.

cheers,
    Chris

Pretty Basic:

fins
    guns
    weight belt
    knife
    float
    booties
    gloves
    mask & snorkle

Wow boney-leg, those conditions are absolutely awesome!
    I am almost insanely jealous!
    Are the guns Riffes, or do you make your own?
    Cheers.

yeah agree F-YOU thats beautiful

[quote=nigelr;1006938]
    Are the guns Riffes, or do you make your own?
    [quote]

Yeah - a couple of Riffe guns that are about 15 years old now. Started off with a Sea Hornet and even though it cops a lot of flack it was a great gun. Even use to get mackerel with it. The young fellas that come out with me now days all have flash RA's etc but because these guns are so powerful I notice that they don't stalk their prey but shoot from miles away. Consequently they don't get really good shots in. Power isn't everything - especially with trout.

Some spearos that worry about sharks tow a converted boggie board as a float and throw their fish on top out of the water. Up here though I find that when I'm towing fish along my line lots of trout come out to see why all these other trout are following me If the sharks get too bad I drop them off at the boat.

Spearfishing can be like any sport and you can spend thousands on gear. You don't need too though. My mentor who taught me the ropes is down on Straddie. He uses a couple of home made planks of timber that look rough as with undersea mechanisms. They are over 30 years old and he is shooting wahoo with them. The sport is about being clever and the only way you gain these tricks is by getting out there and doing it. Fish display different behaviours and once you get to understand them you start working out how best to catch them and where to catch them.

The thing I like so much about the sport is that it keeps you active and you always see something ... whether it is just bait fish cruising around or beautiful coral formations. And Gilli you were looking for spots - that photo of the boat is at Rib Reef. There is a beakon there that people climb.

Just using a ball float with roped to gun at moment pick up float this week hopefully
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Boney-leg your comment re sea hornets brought a smile........here are some converts my 18yo son and I use for reef work.
    Over this winter I will make up some more serious pelagic models, though I will buy the mechs from the US (neptonics) simply because they will last my lifetime and a fair bit of the young blokes'.
    Nothing wrong with the ol' seahornet, fantastic value for money and plenty capable for most stuff.
    I love making bits of kit, the home-made floatline is the best thing I've done for a while, and the pool tube float is great for swimming out through the surf with.
    To date all my diving has been shore-based, either swimming out through the surf or jumping in off the rocks. The young bloke and I have plans to take the tinny out over the inshore reefs we linefish to chase macks, although this season is very much up in the air, we have had the wettest autumn in 30 years and the water is absolutely filthy and will remain that way for at least another month.
    However, we will be quite happy to contend ourselves with mulloway as our most-prized species, fish up to 8-10kg are great eating and not too difficult to land with the gear we use. I hate nothing more than having a fish come off the spear, and go to all possible lengths to avoid it, such a waste although the wobbies wouldn't agree.................I'll often dive for a couple of hours and only pull the trigger once or twice, or even not at all sometimes.
    I've taught my son to shoot only what is good eating, and to be very conservative in his bag limit and as to what species he shoots. Personally I have no interest at my age in trophy-hunting, it's a big ask for a young fella however, but he understands my reasoning, and he truly loves the sport!
    Cheers!

Found these on the net well priced if anyone is interested .
    The basic set up
    JT
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Complete-Spea...1%7C240%3A1318
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

nigelr nice guns you got there, boney legs or anyone what do i put my rubbers in so there wont melt or anything??, powder or something?

Quote Originally Posted by goldcoast View Post
    nigelr nice guns you got there, boney legs or anyone what do i put my rubbers in so there wont melt or anything??, powder or something?

UV makes the rubbers perish so you can get reflective snap lock bags or the old school way is to keep them in the freezer

cheers mate