Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

So ! ...... now we are all friends again & have eliminated the conspiracy theories

What are the best plastics straight out of the pack ?

My favourites include

1) Berkley Hollowbelly (4 , 5 & 6") - Match the right jig head & away you go . Swim well at low speed & on the drop , good colour range & readily available. can be rigged traditionally or weedless. Good surface vibration when fished fast on & a high rod angle . $4.50-$5 each + jig head

2) Storm Wild eye swim shad (4,5 & 6") ... (Soft packs only). Great Hook , Exceptional colour range , swims well at slow & medium speed + on the drop , Great body roll. readily available >>> Best value $1.50 - $2.00 each

3) Yum $money minnow (5") - Similar to Hollowbelly though a broader profile Swims well at low - med speed & on the drop. Can be rigged traditionally or weedless (slit belly flap makes for great weedless). textured body finish reflects light well . good colour range. Limited availability in Australia $5 each + jig head

4) Ribbit frog & bull frog - Best action & vibration rigged either on a weighted worm hook or backbone jig head (sub surface) . Good colours. limited availability $3 each + jig head.

5) Manns 12cm Kipper Shad - Used with a backbone jig head. Swims well at low - high speed . big paddle tail , Great pearl & glitter finishes. limited availability $3.50 each + jig head

So thats my top 5 ...... that I can happily fish unaltered. There are others that could be added (5"Manns hardnose , 5&6" Shadalicious & 5" Basstrix fat minnow) .... All limited availability $4-$5 each + jig head

Cheers

Chris

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris,

I like the SSS to slowly sink (usually the upgrade trebble and split rings are sufficient)

Got some 'flat tires' which are cableas version of the yum/hollowbelly. Looked better in the picture than real life!! Deffinaltey not the quality of hollows or Yum. At $18 AUS for 18 and a tackle tray to go, I guess I cant complain for an experiment. I think if I do some tinkering I can sort out the tails! look OK though. Good sizes.

cheers Steve

The experimenting path takes you miles. Steve B has done it for a good while now and has expanded his box of tricks and ideas with hard body and soft plastic lures. It does cost us money to experiment, I have draws full of lures, good and bad. We probably all have fishing 'junk' somewhere. We can all learn from each others' experiences; to help cut costs in some ways, and move forward with the willingness of the Aussie, and (west Aussie way- 2 different places) joke of caring and sharing. (Sorry Dick, I can't resist temptation).
    I remember a charter trip a few years ago on Awoooonga, a morning session. Two clients had landed quiet a few, good fishing that morning. With fifteen minutes left to go and no strikes had for about an hour, we changed one soft plastic lure for another type. Fifteen minutes of fishing for three more barra on that new trialled lure made me open my eyes and wonder. What was the difference I asked myself, was it a fluke? That afternoon the penny dropped. That same lure and it's mate from the packet scored over 14 barra for new clients. It outfished other versions. From that trial of a new style, a new chapter of information was forthcoming for me. It took me forward. The same place most of us want to go.
    Just a quick yarn.
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Lyndon,

Yes used the Vibrotails up in the NT in the late 70's early 80's. The drop bear colour of recent times, was the pink or orange layed over the while lure in the sun to get the colour in those days. Still have a few in the shed and the action on these plastics are still great. Pity didn't have enough for a good bash again with them.

Regards

Trev
    Trev mate that's a great post. To think Vibrotails have been catching barra for 30+ years or more wow, and 30 odd years before plastics hit the mainstream down here for barra on the impoundments. They were and still are used by some smart anglers up there.

Even competition success dating back ages with them. Cast out on 6kg mono Abu's and co, not a bad effort compared to the sensative braid we have today and the space age reels used to cast heavier presentations hey?...Some of those fella's can really fish and all have their own stories of development.

This history triggers some interesting thoughts, thanks for jogging the memory i'm going to put those thoughts to use with a few fellas on here to keep learning from everyone.

Cheers Lyndon.

ps here is a photo of a vibrotail for anyone that hasn't seen or used one before.
    It's one of our barramundi soft plastic pioneers. As this is a learning thread maybe we can learn from things now listed as Ancient History in the plastics scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Well said Darryl, and I take your point as being one of the culprits. Its not fair on those aiming to get info.

Johnny, the last 2 posts on this page have been 2 of your most informative ever. Thankyou. I personally beleive every plastic that I have come across out of the box needs tinkering of some description....or has an inherant weakness that doesn't suit barra fishing. I was attempting to find out why Slickrigs are singled out as the main culrpit....I know why....and its not about the lure. Thats wrong IMHO. So, enough said from me about that. Here is simple for and against for a few mainstream plastics from various mobs that I have used...again this is just what I have found,

Slick rigs (old style):, good hooks, too heavy (not as heavy as some), reasonable durability, swimming issues straight out of pack, poor packaging, good colours..reasonable price

Slick rigs (pro range):- hooks terrible, reasonable weight, reasonable durability, swimming issues out of pack, poor packaging, I like the Sfactor, good colours, reasonable price

Berkley powermullets: good hooks (on bigger ones), way too heavy, good tail action, good colours, reasonable durability, reasonable price

Storm shads: hooks a bit weak, too heavy, good tail action, good colours, reasonable durability,reasonable price

Storm suspending shads: great weight, bad hooks/trebbles, good action-but only slow. price bit expensive-but they appear more refined in making. good packaging, OK durability, great colours

hollowbellys: great action -all speeds, no hooks, well packaged, bit expensive, too flimsy, great colours, good size range

shadolishous: great action - all speeds, limited colour range, well packaged, too flimsy, price-bit better value, size range good, no hooks.

Manns hardnose: good action all speeds,hard nose, more durable, has 1 weedless hook, poor colour range, price average, poor size range.

There is my honest thoughts on a basic range of plastics (out of packet) found in a high % of tackle boxes around at the moment...obviously there will be heaps of others. As you can see there a + and - for all.

Hope this helps someone.

Steve
    Thanks for providing a big list of plastics for people to have a look at Steve & Chris, i reckon it will get a lot of people looking at a wide range of soft plastics over the summer, nice work. and interesting observations guys.

You and Chris have posted similar soft plastic lists & themes..

What do you 2 think were the reasons these plastics have areas where they have failed to deliver a product you and Chris would be really to happy to use with no mods on barra?

I reckon you can both come up with a big list of reasons as to why?

This should atleast give solutions & help explain things a bit more e.g. For the average Jill & Joe who might be a bit confused at the moment.

So in summary, why have these plastics been developed with the problems you and Chris mentioned in your posts?
    Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Thanks for providing a big list of plastics for people to have a look at Steve & Chris, i reckon it will get a lot of people looking at a wide range of soft plastics over the summer, nice work. and interesting observations guys.

What do you 2 think were the reasons these plastics have areas where they have failed to deliver a product you and Chris would be really to happy to use with no mods on barra?

This should atleast give solutions & help explain things a bit more e.g. For the average Jill & Joe who might be a bit confused at the moment.

So in summary, why have these plastics been developed with the problems you and Chris mentioned in your posts?
    Cheers Lyndon.
    Lyndon, thanks mate. Hey, In your studies of lures etc, have you come across any plastics that have been genuinely designed and made in Australia for barra?? I cant recall any, but you might...Most are lures made for OS fish and are a 'barra will like this' import that generally has a couple of deficiencies for our fish, as per my list

IMHO to be 'perfect' for barra straight out of the pack....it would have to be a combo of the best of all of them I spose...but you and I know, unfortunatley that would cost big $$$ to produce....and then that would be passed on to us poor suckers!! I would be happy to pay, but as we know, the impoundment barra scene is a drop in the ocean on the world market, thus production costs vs sales viability would be probably not worth it to a big comany.

good hooks (and light weight...hard to do....Matt Fraser has come the closest I think anyone can get so far), good action, good quality rubber/pastic with good packaging, good colours, good variety of sizes....list could go on...I can see the producers budget blown right out of the water...So I guess for now, tinkering, snipping, glueing and experimenting....and playing in the pool will be the only option for while.

Cheers Steve

Back to the origninal post by JM...Byron lures.....I bought a couple of packs $2 each at a local tackle sale.....nice actions....unfortunalty the hook straighted on an OS cattie!!!!! I tinkered with putting a powermullet jig in one, but it failed to have the same action. But the tail did get a use on a flaps head!!!

Cheers Lyndon.
    Thanks Lyndon

My list was all about plastics that I am happy to fish unaltered. They all have a good natural action when swum at low speed ( body roll &/or good tail cadence)....... Like Steve I have a preference for shad type plastics ( its a confidence thing)

Even the heavy 5 & 6" Storm shad (aka depth charge) has accounted for quite a few barra while on the drop in only 10 - 15 feet of water....... because of the action

All the plastics are soft & supple...

The only down side (sort of ) is cost of the hollow type lures (Hollow belly , shadalicious , hardnose , money minnow & basstrix) - Having said that ..... I would gladly give up a $5 placcy for each barra landed - specially when you spend a few hundred dollars on a trip away.

Chris

PS ...... I also think that Matts Backbone jig heads have made a hell of a difference when fishing plastics (strong , various weights / sizes & shank lengths)
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Great and helpful read Johnny!
    Seems you got some pretty predictable responses from some. I am sure this info you freely shared is highly valued and greatly appreciated by many on here.
    Just got back from USA and had a good visit to Cabelas in Minnnesota. And couldnt believe how many of these exact type of large plastics are availabale over there. Many more brands, styles and a lot of them hollow like the Berkleys.
    One thing I did notice is the tendency re the shape to have large paddles and very slim tail sections, which obviously has been derived from a lot of fishing and observation of what works and swims better straight out of the packet.
    I brought back some to try, called Shadalicious which are just a great shape and finish, as well as a pack of Cabelas Flat Tyres, which are pretty much identical to Hollowbellies. Also some Castiac's, which jhave a super slim tail section.
    it seems there isnt a single stand out version over there which has so many blindly hooked. That kind of thing doesnt seem to fly over there, with apopulation of 300 million people, and a large number of them keen fishos, its a very competitive market indeed.
    Another thing, which anyone who has visited the US, or have purchased online from US will already be aware of, is the huge difference in price compared to what we pay in Australia. You would not believe the kind of boat you can get for 15 to 18 k in the States, let alone the cheaper prices of every kind of tackle, reels, jigs and the list goes on. Someone is sure making a lot of money over here.
    Well look forward to giving some of them a swim soon!
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Great and helpful read Johnny!
    Seems you upset a few of the would be "owners" of the Freshwater Thread which isnt hard to do! LOL I am sure this info you freely shared is highly valued and greatly appreciated by many on here.

Cheers
    Flatzie
    I resemble that remark

Dont ever think that anyone is trying to dominate the freshwater thread Flatzie.
    We post & we share ......... but may offer an alternate view at times. There are no hidden agendas or egos to be pandered . Many of us post our thoughts & opinions in a straight forward manner - There is no talking in riddles & little need for deciphering or lateral thinking ........... information is readily shared & for free (along with our reports).
    Unfortunately there are no acknowledged gurus here ........ just some competent fishoes....... that can be found sitting around a fire on some dam on a regular basis

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I resemble that remark

Dont ever think that anyone is trying to dominate the freshwater thread Flatzie.
    We post & we share ......... but may offer an alternate view at times. There are no hidden agendas or egos to be pandered . Many of us post our thoughts & opinions in a straight forward manner - There is no talking in riddles & little need for deciphering or lateral thinking ........... information is readily shared & for free (along with our reports).
    Unfortunately there are no acknowledged gurus here ........ just some competent fishoes....... that can be found sitting around a fire on some dam on a regular basis

Chris
    I notice the edited version, vs what is highlighted by NAGG. Flatzie (figuring it was aimed at myself also)....I am faaaaar from attempting or claiming to be the 'owners' of freshwater thread..sorry but please dont think that.. I know Johhny, and consider him a mate..I did question a few reasons for a few things, .....why cant I.. ?? he has given me the answers, so now I am happy to move on in a positive manner for sharing info....johnny is by far the most experienced, respected and unbias (ie not sponsored) on here....no one will disagree with that....we all live for quality info he gives us...for nothing.

As for your info, thanks. I had figured we have been getting ripped, even by buying over the net.....and thats STILL cheaper still than here. I got some of those flat tyres too, havent swum them yet, but look OK...as for shadolishous, been using them for over a year with some good success..mainly in the 5 inch models. Interested in seeing some pics of the castaic's, and hearing how they perform.

cheers Steve

No dramas guys, I just got back from overseas and started to read the thread, which is a great and informative gathering of info given to all of us by a great fisho, and then as I read it it just all went pear shaped and a bit crazy.
    Pretty dissappointing stuff when you read the whole narrative from start to end in one go.
    A bunch of boof headed fishos and no Egos or Agendas??? cmon Nagg LOL Seems that was what Johhny was being accused of!... thats my look and response put forward in your words as "Many of us post our thoughts & opinions in a straight forward manner - There is no talking in riddles & little need for deciphering or lateral thinking"
    Steve, I will be trying the Shadalicios this week at Awoonga, hope they swim as good as they look. And it would be nice to post a pic with one of these new lures hanging from a Barras mouth.
    Last September the Berkley Power Mullets that JM mentioned gave us one of the best half an hours fishing Ive ever had in my life with four fish between 105 and 110 in less than halh and hour in one little bay.
    On the price side of things, I brought back a new Curado from US for a fellow Ausfisher, who shall go nameless, (tho he he is known to like the odd rum and stand in his boat in his undies in Moreton Bay! ) Or was that a Balaclava?
    Anyway it saved him 120 dollars, so that was great.
    Rumour has it he will blood it at Mondy this week.
    Cheers
    Flatzie

The Calstics are available at Tacklewarehouse ....... but at a price $20 from memory ..... They also have the shadalicious & money minnow ( also $20).
    Jackies Barra Havoc has the best price on the Shadalicious

Cheers

Boof head
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    No dramas guys, I just got back from overseas and started to read the thread, which is a great and informative gathering of info given to all of us by a great fisho, and then as I read it it just all went pear shaped and a bit crazy.
    Pretty dissappointing stuff when you read the whole narrative from start to end in one go.
    A bunch of boof headed fishos and no Egos or Agendas??? cmon Nagg LOL Seems that was what Johhny was being accused of!... thats my look and response put forward in your words as "Many of us post our thoughts & opinions in a straight forward manner - There is no talking in riddles & little need for deciphering or lateral thinking"
    Steve, I will be trying the Shadalicios this week at Awoonga, hope they swim as good as they look. And it would be nice to post a pic with one of these new lures hanging from a Barras mouth.
    Last September the Berkley Power Mullets that JM mentioned gave us one of the best half an hours fishing Ive ever had in my life with four fish between 105 and 110 in less than halh and hour in one little bay.
    On the price side of things, I brought back a new Curado from US for a fellow Ausfisher, who shall go nameless, (tho he he is known to like the odd rum and stand in his boat in his undies in Moreton Bay! ) Or was that a Balaclava?
    Anyway it saved him 120 dollars, so that was great.
    Rumour has it he will blood it at Mondy this week.
    Cheers
    Flatzie
    Have you got the small version ? because at the moment Small is good....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Well said Darryl, and I take your point as being one of the culprits. Its not fair on those aiming to get info.

Johnny, the last 2 posts on this page have been 2 of your most informative ever. Thankyou. I personally beleive every plastic that I have come across out of the box needs tinkering of some description....or has an inherant weakness that doesn't suit barra fishing. I was attempting to find out why Slickrigs are singled out as the main culrpit....I know why....and its not about the lure. Thats wrong IMHO. So, enough said from me about that. Here is simple for and against for a few mainstream plastics from various mobs that I have used...again this is just what I have found,

Slick rigs (old style):, good hooks, too heavy (not as heavy as some), reasonable durability, swimming issues straight out of pack, poor packaging, good colours..reasonable price

Slick rigs (pro range):- hooks terrible, reasonable weight, reasonable durability, swimming issues out of pack, poor packaging, I like the Sfactor, good colours, reasonable price

Berkley powermullets: good hooks (on bigger ones), way too heavy, good tail action, good colours, reasonable durability, reasonable price

Storm shads: hooks a bit weak, too heavy, good tail action, good colours, reasonable durability,reasonable price

Storm suspending shads: great weight, bad hooks/trebbles, good action-but only slow. price bit expensive-but they appear more refined in making. good packaging, OK durability, great colours

hollowbellys: great action -all speeds, no hooks, well packaged, bit expensive, too flimsy, great colours, good size range

shadolishous: great action - all speeds, limited colour range, well packaged, too flimsy, price-bit better value, size range good, no hooks.

Manns hardnose: good action all speeds,hard nose, more durable, has 1 weedless hook, poor colour range, price average, poor size range.

There is my honest thoughts on a basic range of plastics (out of packet) found in a high % of tackle boxes around at the moment...obviously there will be heaps of others. As you can see there a + and - for all.

Hope this helps someone.

Steve

Hi guys we just might have the first post we all agree on in this thread
    Steve i'm nowhere near lure studies mate just a hobby. Frank Prokop is the man in that area of lure research, history and collection. His book is a cracker full of dynamite info.

Ok i've highlighted the Overseas designed stuff to try and sort things out
    to be clearer for everyone to understand in a world of a thousand lures and soft plastics.

I agree Steve i think the overseas stuff wasn't designed for the Aussie Barra market so i'll give them some slack as they could have been aiming at 5-10lb US bass with softer mouths than barra. E.g. Those hooks won't straighten on bass like they do on barra. Do we agree there? Chris?

As for the hollow type soft plastic (Yums, Hollows, Shadalicious, Manns Hard Nose) and so on we get to choose whatever hook we want and Chris & Steve you both have liked the Nitro Button Head Jigs, like me i like them as well, so we agree on 2 things now. I also like mucking around with other hooks from many brands like Bait hooks and snapper hooks on my soft plastics. Some work others are terrible designs.

So in summary on the overseas designed and intended soft plastics we pretty much have to be happy with modifying them for our Aussie Barra. If we get US soft plastics that we can just throw a hook through (hollows) then that's what we do and hook selection becomes an area for us to play with.

Can we really get up these companies when their product wasn't made with our barra in mind?

Should our outlook on the stuff from overseas be this: Look at them as something we might have to tinker with to get the right outcome for our scene as it wasn't designed for our scene?

I'd like to have another 10 or so posts with you guys on plastics as it interests me & you 2 have triggered some great thoughts. I'll try and agree with you 8/10 times, but might disagree on a few points if that's ok guys. Moving one post at a time have a read of this one and see if we can agree on the overseas soft plastic topic, hooks, and how we judge them etc

Don't Forget
    The original storm (photo) JM posted has a thick strong hook, good swimming action and so on. I'm not sure how many mm across that hook is but it looks a lot thicker than nearly all the others i've seen. Do we agree on that guys?

Cheers Lyndon.

Hi guys we just might have the first post we all agree on in this thread
    Steve i'm nowhere near lure studies mate just a hobby. Frank Prokop is the man in that area of lure research, history and collection. His book is a cracker full of dynamite info.

Ok i've highlighted the Overseas designed stuff to try and sort things out
    to be clearer for everyone to understand in a world of a thousand lures and soft plastics.

I agree Steve i think the overseas stuff wasn't designed for the Aussie Barra market so i'll give them some slack as they could have been aiming at 5-10lb US bass with softer mouths than barra. E.g. Those hooks won't straighten on bass like they do on barra. Do we agree there? Chris?

As for the hollow type soft plastic (Yums, Hollows, Shadalicious, Manns Hard Nose) and so on we get to choose whatever hook we want and Chris & Steve you both have liked the Nitro Button Head Jigs, like me i like them as well, so we agree on 2 things now. I also like mucking around with other hooks from many brands like Bait hooks and snapper hooks on my soft plastics. Some work others are terrible designs.

So in summary on the overseas designed and intended soft plastics we pretty much have to be happy with modifying them for our Aussie Barra. If we get US soft plastics that we can just throw a hook through (hollows) then that's what we do and hook selection becomes an area for us to play with.

Can we really get up these companies when their product wasn't made with our barra in mind?

Should our outlook on the stuff from overseas be this: Look at them as something we might have to tinker with to get the right outcome for our scene as it wasn't designed for our scene?

I'd like to have another 10 or so posts with you guys on plastics as it interests me & you 2 have triggered some great thoughts. I'll try and agree with you 8/10 times, but might disagree on a few points if that's ok guys. Moving one post at a time have a read of this one and see if we can agree on the overseas soft plastic topic, hooks, and how we judge them etc

Don't Forget
    The original storm (photo) JM posted has a thick strong hook, good swimming action and so on. I'm not sure how many mm across that hook is but it looks a lot thicker than nearly all the others i've seen. Do we agree on that guys?

Cheers Lyndon.
    Hi Lyndon

Just quickly on the Storm Shad ....... This photo shows the down grading of the hook on the 6" shad - One is a new 6" version (found in blister packs) while the other is a old 5" version (soft packs) Attachment 50903 -- - while it is not that easy to pick the two ..... closer inspection reveals all - Its relatively easy to open the new hooks in your fingers or pull off a snagged lure I actually had a hook opened up & ejected on a head shake Yet I never straighted the old hooks - even on a snag ..... the line parts first

Now ..... I absolutely agree on the lures that are all pretty well designed overseas - They are predominately sold for the bass market & they do not have to have the sturdy hooks that are required for barra ( mind you - the majority of our locally designed barra hard bodies fail abysmally on the hook selection ) .......
    Anyhow ...... we will still use these US bass lures because they have other attributes that we find desirable (suppleness , swim action , finish , design etc) - specially when we can choose a suitable jig head. Note : The Hollowbelly which is a rip off of other US multi layered tube type plastics - is sold with a light worm hook over there ........ but not here because of the field testing that was conducted by Trev , Scotty & Matty Fraser ---- & fortunately Matt designed the backbone jig heads for them & our target species

One placcy ......The Reidys Rubbers 5" Shad (locally designed) while being similar to the storm swim shads.... still suffer from poor hook choice.

Anyhow .... all cool here Lyndon - life would be pretty boring if everyone agreed & we would learn nothing

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO