Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best boat for commuting

Re: Best boat for commuting

Quote Originally Posted by sea-rash View Post
    Maybe old Charles will sell the Beagle to you.😳

R
    I see what you did there...

Also take into account security while at work. Boats are easier to move and harder to lock up than a car. Be nice if it wasn't something to worry about but that horse has bolted.

And when you get home late, just tell her you stopped off to do a little fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRiver View Post
    ...Although I am resigned to the fact I will get wet regardless, is there a model/type of boat that will offer some kind of protection from the elements?.
    Submarine perhaps?

I'll let myself out ......

Yeah nice dream, but reality is it will cost you a lot more in time and money than you think. Ok once a week maybe with a fish on the way home. If you don't know where the Pin is, you're in for a real treat getting to and from work without running a ground, hitting channel marker, another unlit boat etc, etc even with the best gps/sounder money can buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a guy that flies around these islands with a small tiny strapped to a hang glider which he uses like a sea plane. A to B would be pretty straight forward, not sure how much room you would have to land where you go, and of course there is the weather to consider. Good luck
    Phil ( also on RI)

Quote Originally Posted by sea-rash View Post
    This is a gee up right? How can somebody who lives at Russel not know what the "pin" is and then be seriously consider doing the commute at night? Maybe old Charles will sell the Beagle to you.

R
    We don't live there yet mate. Signed a contract on a place Monday last week.

My wife thought he might mean Jumpinpin. Appears she was right.
    As I said, my experience on the water is next to nil other than going sailing as a kid and a few small boat trips around Hope Island and Jacobs Well years ago. But I am a fast learner.

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    nope but me dad in charge of driving when i was 14 going up a estuary in a little `14foot half cab over powered with a 115 evinrude so needless to say we were moving.. he went passsed a green marker at night pitch black spotty blinding out front and went for the next marker.. what he didnt realise was the next one was almost a hard right but he was lookin straight and went for the 3rd one straight ahead and not right then straight and BOOOOM from flat out to dead stop high and dry on a sandbank.. man the bang was loud and it all happened so quick.. so yeah be carefulll bro the first few trips b4 you open up the throttle like daveo17 says.. ..and glad ya missus uses mud 4 makeup sounds like you got your fishing soulmate lol... cheers bro..
    Yeah, I imagine the trip will take about 2 hours for the first few weeks, I'll be taking it so slow
    Fishing soulmate, camping soulmate, bushbashing soulmate... we do everything together. The benefits of a woman brought up in the bush rather than the malls, I guess

Beware of missing beacons even in daylight when your talking and not paying attention, let alone at night.
    Here is a pic to show you I know of what I speak...................we were making good time too..............

2016 pics off zte phone after computer fail 403.jpg

Just have to wait for the tide to come back and too muddy to go for a walk but lots of crabs to watch in the mean time!
    What could go wrong.......................

Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Besides the navigational issues and time taken at night have you factored in if your even allowed to store the boat at the work dock? Boat security whilst its there? Change of weather when at work? The time it takes having to launch and retreive boat, park car etc (until you get your own spot at russell)? Motor and trailer flush/washdown after each trip when? Breakdown coverage? Does the missus have a car whilst yours is parked at the ramp with trailer? Etc etc
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Floating logs is one concern, but a bigger concern for me is the unlit channel markers at night. I nearly hit on o 2-3 occasions when I first started out and new to an area. A big spotty does help. Make sure you join up with the nearest VMR or coastguard in case of difficulty. I think there is one at Victoria Point which may be the closest.

bah. do it once at low tide with a good plotter and save the track. then just follow it. But I would invest in a nice size plotter.
    I would get an old 14 - 16 foot glass deep v - cruise craft 14 maybe or similar. get some clears made up, tiller steer or centre console, not bow steer for a better ride. (I always prefer tiller steer) with a seat with a high back. canopy (bow is fine) but with allround clears. I would hate to be getting wet all the time. I'd go the full water taxi treatment clears allround. tiller 50 tohatsu only 4.5k new. old glass dinger 1 or two grand, scratch proof. Decent battery to run the nav lights and for the auto bilge pump. Good led nav lights so you know they'll work every time. maybe foam fill under the floor. lockable tool box from supercheap. esky for the shopping. bolt / glass everything down so noone can tax. padlocks etc. all good.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Beware of missing beacons even in daylight when your talking and not paying attention, let alone at night.
    Here is a pic to show you I know of what I speak...................we were making good time too..............

2016 pics off zte phone after computer fail 403.jpg

Just have to wait for the tide to come back and too muddy to go for a walk but lots of crabs to watch in the mean time!

thats about what happened to us at 2 am.. only the sandbank come up quick and we hit it that hard we lost speed that quick we only went a few feet onto dry sand and the ass end was just in the water, being only a 14 footer 3 of us dragged it back in and lukily went back on our way.. judging by your pics i might pack a lunch just incase b4 going out with u, incase of a little crab watching time..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

We had food and drink so we had a good catch up and avoided the need to anchor which was the plan, initially!

One even caught up on his sleep...2016 pics off zte phone after computer fail 397.jpg
    What could go wrong.......................