View Poll Results: Have you made contact ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, awaiting response

3 16.67%
  • Yes, had meeting

4 22.22%
  • No, want others to do it for me

2 11.11%
  • No, will do though

6 33.33%
  • No, not interested in helping spend the $'s

3 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who has made the appointment ?

Who has made the appointment ?

I have asked MY local member for an appointment to see him.

Email sent tonight.

I hope all who have any interest in how the LNP are going to spend the $120 million promised, have attempted to make contact with THEIR local member to tell them their interests and wants ?

For the contact details for your member:-

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/doc...ts/MEMLIST.pdf

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Who has made the appointment ?

Alright....I'll put my neck out.

To be honest this is probably something I wouldn't normally do but after listening to a couple of smart people talking about the welfare of our fishery and seeing how passionate they were about it I now want to have a little sit down and pow wow with my local member.
    Please excuse my ignorance but in this particular case should the nature of my meeting be to inform my local member about my concerns, or suggestions for improvement, or ways I think the LNP could spend their kitty to benefit the local fishery or am I a bit off track and confused?

This may seem pretty daunting to some so if you can break it down a bit Phill it might encourage a few more laymen like myself to go and actually do it instead of just tapping their concerns down on a keyboard on here every night.

Well, it is just a sit down with another Queenslander really.

Mention you are a recreational fisher and the LNP have made big commitments to that industry before the election.

They talked about Licence buy back, reviewing green zones and basing changes on science.

There is also talk of dismantling DERM and returning many ex fisheries staff back into FQ.

Just talk about how much money you spend on fishing, where you go, who you meet and what you do.

You will find the conservation ( and conversation ) will flow from subject to subject, but remember you'll only get 1/2 hr or 1 hour with them. Take along a buddy if you like. Seriously, there is nothing scary about a MP....

You can meet in their office ( best option ) or at the local coffee shop, doesn't matter.

You could start with something like " hi, I voted for the LNP because I wanted change for the better for recreational fishing, what is going to happen now ? ".

Put the onus on the member to provide you with information. They are most likely a fisho too, or at least have wet a line at some stage.

Tell them you are part of a group of rec fishos that has 108,000 registered members Australia wide, but mostly SEQ. ( they love numbers )

1 in 4 Queenslanders wet a line at least once a year and we inject a billion dollars into the economy each year. We have more registered private vessels than NSW, with a lot less population.

Just tell him what bugs you about fishing.

Trawllers
    Green Zones
    boat ramps
    information
    rules
    Fisheries patrol or lack of.
    Arti reefs
    pollution of the waterways
    lack of funding for VMR's and Coast Guard
    even a lack of port facilities for Cruise Ships in Brisbane
    Mangrove destruction
    Orica's Cyanide dumping in CQ river systems
    Gladstone Harbour issues....
    huge ships cutting through the Great Barrier Reef

commonsense & sustainability are always good words to chuck in.

Ask if he has seen the " I fish and I vote " bumper stickers ?

You'll find you'll run out of time easily. Make another appointment at the end to see him or her in a month or 2's time. Ask to be put on their email list for anything to do with fishing or the Marine Infrastructure program.

Thanks for asking Anthony...........

cheers
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-05-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Red face Re: Who has made the appointment ?

You will find the conservation will flow from subject to subject, but remember you'll only get 1/2 hr or 1 hour with them. Take along a buddy if you like. Seriously, there is nothing scary about a MP....
    R U one of those rabid "closet Greenies" Phill

MP= Mod Phill

I will be trying to see my 'local' in the week after this but I won't hold my breath.
    He's Lawrence of Allora (I wonder if he lives in Allora??)
    I don't think mangroves and trawler buy back will be on my agenda.

Freshwater fishing can bring a huge amount of money into rural areas.
    Freshwater fishing 'interests' a growing number of people (especially travellers) and it's an area where there's not much discussion and it's definitely an area where no money what so ever is spent.

Cheers Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I spoke to my local member last weekend, but only briefly as I was about to do a yacht race. Being the commodore of the yacht club, dealing with the pollies is inevitable part of the job. I assured her I will be on contact with her in the very near future.

Yes, Gazza, not closet, but certainly an open Greenie, in the right context, of course.

Conversation about conservation is OK by me. Sustainability is a great key word.

I think I am doing the right thing by the fishery by removing several fisheys everytime I go out on the briney, as it allows more food for other fishies

I always practice Catch, Fillet and Release. ( releasing frames into the environment to sustain growth for other habitat inhabitants )

That's my days quota for words with more than 2 syllables

LP

I think there is a lot that can done in regards to freshwater as well. I am not up to speed on this, but I have heard certain Water Managers could be more forthcoming in respect to assistance with stocking programs.

LP

I don't think his schedule fits in with my schedule unless of course he's willing to travel and meet up after hours.

I think your member is my member, so I'll drop ya name during our conversation...

Oh, and address.......... and phone number......... and email address.............. and........... and

LP

I am meeting up with members of both local and state for my area in about 10 days time over another matter with a big price ticket.
    Fishing and so forth will be raised as soon as the immediate matter is dealt with.
    A third issue will also be raised again for the hell of it, but doubt there will be any form of legislation come of raising it.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I think your member is my member
    LP
    Oh, thst'd jusd wrong.
    So wrong I can't even spell it out.

Cheers Alfred
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hi all
    Have thought about it but are they really going to listen to just one persons opinion on the issues in our local area. I have concerns about the new development and marina and the use of the newly installed pontoon at our local ramp-- emailed our local and council but no reply from either and that was months ago.
    I also am concerned about the lack of police presence in our town-- since they took away our police beat it seems every hoon in town does what they want , when they want.
    So for me there are issues both concerning fishing and the community-- Are they really going to listen to my opinion.

CW-- Ronnie

Yes Ronnie, they will listen. But you have to get into their office and chat to them, about this.

They may not take immediate action, they may take no action, but as a great man once said

" for evil to exist, it only takes a few good men to do nothing ". Probably a bad metaphor / example, but it does sit weill within our scope.

Ronnie, they will listen, but if they are not the Minister for the area of concern, all they can do is pass on your concerns.

Being elected by YOU, means they work for you and they are well aware of this.

All it takes is to ask them questions .

" Why was the Police Beat removed " ?
    " Will you bring it back ? "
    " What plans do you have for the marina and the development " ?

If you ask the questions, they are obliged to respond and quite often they will respond in writing, as they will not usually have the answers on hand.

It is worth an hour of your time to pop in and have a chat with them.

Cheers Phill

why have public servants been sacked when CanDo said they would only reduce the public service by natural attrition...you could start asking your Member that question, as some of those sacked may be from fisheries.