Thread: fuse keeps blowing

fuse keeps blowing

Purchased a brand new boat recently and got the dealer to wire up the live well. I had some problems with the pump not pumping water through to the bait tank but this was caused by an air lock, so after re-positioning hose all worked well. I replaced the dealers single non fused switch with a four gang fused switch as I want to run other items. Pump worked well for a few trips but it is now blowing the fuse as soon as I turn it on. I am not sure of the fuse rating of the pump or brand as it is well under the floor and I cannot get to it without lifting the floor. I am using three amp fuses in the switch for it as this is the size I am using in the bilge pump. I have checked my wiring onto the switch and all seems fine with no chance of a short anywhere. I may have to get in touch with the dealer and find out about the fuse size for the pump. I am wondering if the start up load may be the cause and I need a bigger fuse but I am reluctant to try a bigger fuse.I may try cutting the pump wires and rewiring back to the fuse in case there is a short in a join or something.Maybe there is something caught in the impellor on the pump but it seems ok. I cannot take the boat back to the dealer as he is a few hours drive away.

Re: fuse keeps blowing

Have you googled your bait pump/asked the dealer, to see how many amps it draws? Might need a bigger fuse based on its output.
    Wonder if a blockage in the output hose could make blow?

Ausfish Platinum Member

3 amps is a very small fuse for an electric pump. I'd be running a 5 amp at least. Remember, you are protecting your wiring with the fuse, as well as supplying the pump. Given that most pump tails come as 2mm2, you have at least 10 amp current carrying capacity, unless the rest of the wiring has been done in something impossibly small. edit--a blockage on a hard impeller type pump won't really cause motor amps to go up so much--bit different on a soft impeller pump, which normally wouldn't be running on a live tank.

What sized pump? even a 500gph pump rags 2.5 amps so your 3 amp fuse is way too small. Also check the current carrying capacity of your switches some of the switch panels are only rated to 10 amps last thing you want is an electrical fire.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    3 amps is a very small fuse for an electric pump. I'd be running a 5 amp at least. Remember, you are protecting your wiring with the fuse, as well as supplying the pump. Given that most pump tails come as 2mm2, you have at least 10 amp current carrying capacity, unless the rest of the wiring has been done in something impossibly small. edit--a blockage on a hard impeller type pump won't really cause motor amps to go up so much--bit different on a soft impeller pump, which normally wouldn't be running on a live tank.
    Not always the case with pumps. Having the right size fuse also prevents the windings in the pump getting too hot and burning out if the pump is jammed with debris. Better to find out exactly what pump it is and the manufacturers fuse size.

Find out what the pump is. Assuming the dealer fitted the smallest in the range, a Rule tournament 500GPH has a specified fuse size of 2.5amps. The Johnson 500 has a specified fuse size of 5 amps. Going above the rated fuse size you run the risk of the pump windings burning out before the fuse blows if debris jambs the pump. Personally I would be fitting an access point in the floor as unless there has been a filter fitted, the pump jamming with floating weed etc is something I have found to be a reasonably common occurrence. Has the dealer fitted a ball valve so you can shut off the water to remove the pump from it's housing to clear it?

Thanks guys, I will get in touch with the dealer tomorrow and find out pump brand / fuse size. I am pretty sure there is no ball valve on the pump, from what I can see of it ( looking under the floor ) it is just a basic pump fixed onto the transom with the hose running up to the tank. It has a water scoop fitting and this delivers water to the tank whilst underway without the pump running. I have not checked the amp capacity of the four gang switch, I got it from Whitworths and it seemed to be one of their most popular models, I run a bilge pump, the bait tank and a sounder off this switch and have a spare switch. I will keep you posted on my progress.

If you cant easily get to the pump, take it back and get that sorted, because these pumps easily block with any debri they suck in, all it takes is a small twig - you need to be able to get to it. And I agree, dont bother with a fuse less than 10 amps for . The fuse is there to stop the wiring melting if there is a short, nothing else.

bugsy

just as an aside IMHO you would be kinder to your sounder if you powered it from a different circuit.
    What could go wrong.......................