Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new tow vehicle

Re: new tow vehicle

Fellas pretty much 95%, GXL Landcruiser Ute as my new work ute, there really is nothing around. I have been a Nissan man through and through but if their idea of great is putting a 4 cylinder in their large 4x4 then they need to rethink. They simply dont have anything to offer, their biggest braked tow is 3.2T?????Waiting for their new release only makes me nervous and unable to commit, what if they have it wrong again????
    Correct me if I am wrong...Aussie/Kiwi Market, Large 4x4 front and rear solid axles, coil suspension, big turbo diesel, big petrol v8 options and most importantly Single cab and dual cab?????Right??
    Spoke to a few performance upgraders and they recommend the 4.5 V8 single turbo for the following reasons:
    -Ute less weight, same load rating
    -Ute dosnt run constant 4x4
    -Ute not luxury by an means , more of a work horse. With exhaust, chip and safe tune should be another 48% torque increase which suits me just fine.

Finding it very hard to settle with the bloody outdated interior

*Find me a Patrol or Cruiser with conversion already done with a Duramax and consider it sold

Marty
    Living the dream, Barry

heard through the grapevine that the nissan will be sporting a new V6 turbo diesel to their navara/pathy range

F250??????
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    Fellas pretty much 95%, GXL Landcruiser Ute as my new work ute, there really is nothing around. I have been a Nissan man through and through but if their idea of great is putting a 4 cylinder in their large 4x4 then they need to rethink. They simply dont have anything to offer, their biggest braked tow is 3.2T?????Waiting for their new release only makes me nervous and unable to commit, what if they have it wrong again????
    Correct me if I am wrong...Aussie/Kiwi Market, Large 4x4 front and rear solid axles, coil suspension, big turbo diesel, big petrol v8 options and most importantly Single cab and dual cab?????Right??
    Spoke to a few performance upgraders and they recommend the 4.5 V8 single turbo for the following reasons:
    -Ute less weight, same load rating
    -Ute dosnt run constant 4x4
    -Ute not luxury by an means , more of a work horse. With exhaust, chip and safe tune should be another 48% torque increase which suits me just fine.

Finding it very hard to settle with the bloody outdated interior

*Find me a Patrol or Cruiser with conversion already done with a Duramax and consider it sold

Marty

Marty,

I have a GXL V8 Ute and it is the ducks nuts. With a decent exhaust and chip you can over take on the highway as good as any other four wheel drive on the market.

The interior is not flash however for me it is a bush truck. In the last 12 weeks alone I have done four trips up the Cape and cannot fault it. I have had water half way up the windscreen, more dust and corrugations than you can poke a stick at and is still running perfect (as it should be).

I was worried about the low position of the alternator and a few other electrical problems and have not had a problem. Mine has done about 50 % Road 50% bush work and have never had a single problem in the 80 000 kms on the clock.

If anyone was going to find issues in a four wheel drive it would be me! And I have not found any yet.

For a tow vehicle they are awesome and pretty good on fuel. I am unsure on what tonne boat your pulling but I think it was a big Platey from memory? I have towed a 7 meter Signature and it feels like your hardly breaking a sweat. I am not 100% sure on figures when towing however it is a lot less than my non turbo 100 series towing.

A combined fuel usage of around town and high way work sees me getting around 13.2 liters to the 100kms. My old man did a trip up here from Melbourne in the car and averaged 12.1 liters driving like a granny. I think that you would be hard pressed to get the 11.5 liters / 100kms like Toyota states however I do have a full sized canopy, dog cages, 3'' lift ect on it which would use a bit more.

Cheers,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Eug View Post
    heard through the grapevine that the nissan will be sporting a new V6 turbo diesel to their navara/pathy range
    And the patrol may be the 5.7L??

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    And the patrol may be the 5.7L??
    Is it French? Probably held together with garlic and spit!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

its a 5.7L in the states called a Titan. I heard twin turbo v6 diesel and diesel v8.
    Living the dream, Barry

marty..I saw a truck the other day that would suit your purposes. It would pull a landcruiser backwards and not know it was even there. I took a couple of pics on the phone of this beast..will try and get them on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    its a 5.7L in the states called a Titan. I heard twin turbo v6 diesel and diesel v8.
    sweeeeeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    marty..I saw a truck the other day that would suit your purposes. It would pull a landcruiser backwards and not know it was even there. I took a couple of pics on the phone of this beast..will try and get them on here.

Thanks Mate!!! I am certainly interested.
    Living the dream, Barry

Me too, what truck is this you speak of?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

It will be a prime mover...(or a Dodge Ram).

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

2010 Land Rover Defender 110

one of this should tow nice and easy and slow

and should pick up one under 40k

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    It will be a prime mover...(or a Dodge Ram).

Cheers
    I was thinking of something similar F250 or something like that.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWay View Post
    2010 Land Rover Defender 110

one of this should tow nice and easy and slow

and should pick up one under 40k
    It pains me to say it but I wouldnt go the Puma model..I would pick up a 110 (they hold their value though) a few years old - the last run of the 5 cyl TD5 and chip it. It will go faster than you thought a brick shape had a right to and will tow well (and give you heaps of fun also).

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing