Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mid-section noise

Re: Mid-section noise

pic didn't work!

If its only surface rust that has started since u pulled it apart once its reassembled the rings will clean the bore within 60 seconds of engine running

Honing the cylinder makes it round again and the hone criss cross scratches hold oil when the engine is not being used, if u hone it it will remove that little lip at the top of the cylinders

If u have a lot of calcium and salt build up inside the wayer gallery u can drop your block off to a automotive engine rebuilder and have them clean it the galleries will come out as clean as a brand new block

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Here are the photos:

Attachment 120259

Attachment 120260

I dont think I'll hone the cylinder. It will create additional issues I believe.

You can knock that little bit of a lip off the cylinder with very fine sand paper all it is is where the piston rings dont reach that high and excess oil builds up there and burns the piston rings dont reach that high to clean it its nothing really

Are u worried about removing your conrods from the crankshaft?

This is the ideal time to check your conrod bearings for wear and check your piston rings for wear

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

None of your pictures have displayed in this thread Tyfab.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    None of your pictures have displayed in this thread Tyfab.
    Not sure why it doesnt work - I use the image uploader from the forum.

Here is from a different img uploader:
    https://ibb.co/ynzH00C
    https://ibb.co/0Q6kq8n

@Gazza - I'll go with your recommendation with the fine sand paper . I am just not keen to unbolt the conrods. They seem in good shape to me.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfab14 View Post
    Here are the photos:

Attachment 120259

Attachment 120260

I dont think I'll hone the cylinder. It will create additional issues I believe.
    unless there is damage to bores, i would bother honing them either. 2 strokes, unless they have done a stupid amount of hours, rarely wear to the point of needing a re bore. i have seen many 30+ y/o outboards that still have the cross hatch marks. but in saying, if the bore is super shiny, and there is no lip, a hone won't hurt. if you do hone it, try to use a flex honer, which has 100's of tiny abrasive balls on stems, only problem, is they are size specific. standard 3 post type honers can be prone to catch on the ports on 2 strokes!

Do NOT root around honing a 2 stroke, leave it alone.

Noelwhy u would u recommend not honing? it has a steel sleeve not nicosile imo u should always hone , honing not only cross hatches it but it squares up the bore from being out of round

Honing usually will not fix an out of round, a bore will, 2 strokes have ports in the sides of the cylinder, if you take the "relief" off these, you can catch a ring on the edge and it's good bye, spent decades building and modifying 2 strokes, and have seen it happen many times, you should never get a 2 stroke bored by a normal old car borer either, unless they know 2 strokes, you're asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Honing usually will not fix an out of round, a bore will, 2 strokes have ports in the sides of the cylinder, if you take the "relief" off these, you can catch a ring on the edge and it's good bye, spent decades building and modifying 2 strokes, and have seen it happen many times, you should never get a 2 stroke bored by a normal old car borer either, unless they know 2 strokes, you're asking for trouble.
    Alright! I'll take your advise, It looks in perfect shape to me so I'll leave it as is. I was more concerned about the build up rust on top of the cylinder 3.

Also, small "dot" pitting started to appear on the block ....
    https://ibb.co/ynzH00C

Is it a concern to leave it as is? or fine sand paper would fix that? I really dont want to mess with an uneven cylinder block surface..

Not sure what we are looking at in that photo.

Just a note, if there is a lip at the top of the cylinder, it indicates some cylinder wear, it wasn't there when it was new, not trying to scare you, but, it's a simple fact, old 2 strokes will still run OK with considerable wear, so, don't panic.

Just a note, if there is a lip at the top of the cylinder, it indicates some cylinder wear, it wasn't there when it was new, not trying to scare you, but, it's a simple fact, old 2 strokes will still run OK with considerable wear, so, don't panic.
    Ok Cool thanks! I am overthinking and doing over the top. I'll stop worrying too much haha

Not sure what we are looking at in that photo.
    The small dots on the block. (Hard to see I can admit)

When you reassemble it, make sure you use the recommended sealants, don't mess around with cheap stuff not designed for the job, and be triple sure everything is CLEAN, and I mean clean, just a small bit of grit or dirt can create a tiny air leak, where the crank is separated from the other cylinders requires complete cleanliness. It's not complicated or difficult, but some care and patience is required.