Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what are bearing buddies

Re: what are bearing buddies

Proper bearing buddies are excellent kit. Combined with packing Timken or the good Japanese brand with grease up front (whacking it down on your grease laden palm) and using genuine bearing buddies I found meant dunking the Vagabond' s trailer not to be a problem...many years of running and had no play. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    For not much more just buy the durahubs. Wont look back once you install them.
    shame if you have a seal go on a durahub ....... you are always 2 minutes to midnight
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Not really champ, you run both grease and oil. Pack the bearings as per normal , put on a speedi sleeve where the seal runs and you would rarely have a situation where the seal just “let go”. Marine grease seals are just about the most crap set up going around for keeping water out and most people don’t install them correctly anyway.

Not really champ, you run both grease and oil. Pack the bearings as per normal , put on a speedi sleeve where the seal runs and you would rarely have a situation where the seal just “let go”. Marine grease seals are just about the most crap set up going around for keeping water out and most people don’t install them correctly anyway.
    Hi Greg

I hadn't heard of anyone using a combination of grease & oil ..... but clearly you can
    What grease is compatible with the Durahub oil

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris - just a high quality marine grease. You’re only packing the races and not filling the hubs as you would normally. I then just use leg gearbox oil to top up. Key thing is the preparation of the axle shaft where the seal runs, best way to insure that is to use a speedi sleeve whether axle is new or old. You seriously won’t go back once you have them installed properly and you quickly see issues if water gets in via the clear windows. A lip seal with a spring garter is better positive seal than the old marine seal.

nothing wrong with not running them just do a thing called maintenance and check the rear seal visually and install them properly to begin with

the guys who give them a pump of grease every trip must have invented a device which can miraculously keep expanding where in reality they have normally blown the back seal out and stuffed it

For not much more just buy the durahubs. Wont look back once you install them.
    A second on that one. I think it was Smithy that put me onto them years ago. Best investment in peace of mind I have invested in since I bought my first boat.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

nothing...but nothing in boats that is exposed to salt water is fool proof. over time.......nothing....

I dont really think it matters if you use dinky bearing buddies ..cheap bearing buddies...conventional bearings ...cheap bearings ....old style marine seals..etc etc....you need to look as often as you can and see whats happening....

I cant say Im right..but I have to immerse the trailer to launch the trireme...and so I replace the bearings every second year..and yes palm grease into the them... put cheap plastic gloves on..........cheap quick and thats that.....

Yep Durahubs were the best ever. Like Greg said, pack with grease first then rely on the engine honey stuff. Outboard gearbox oil is a good idea Packo! Mine and a mackerel pro I used to fish with would get them go milky white and not the nice golden colour like they started out at but they never let us down. Same before I started using them, heard all the horror stories but never let me down with 240-300 dunkings per year. It was all in the prep as per the instructions with emery paper. I initially wanted to run Sea Bears but Durahubs were cheap as by comparison.

With the exception of one failure ( through neglect) on my very first boat (live & learn)…….. any bearing mishap has been caused by the loss of a grease cap or bearing buddy .
    I see more & more people using Loctite these days

Does it work using Loctite to secure bearing biddies or durahubs ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I guess it would, but I have found that with genuine buddies, and making sure the "groove" where it fits into the hub is properly clean (I use acetone and a cotton bud) and you tap it in straight, they never fall off, lots come off from cheap thin buddies that just bend out of shape, and left over grease and oil/dirt on the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I guess it would, but I have found that with genuine buddies, and making sure the "groove" where it fits into the hub is properly clean (I use acetone and a cotton bud) and you tap it in straight, they never fall off, lots come off from cheap thin buddies that just bend out of shape, and left over grease and oil/dirt on the hub.
    I've noticed that the Easytow trailer for my Barcrusher has Loctite on them …… done at the factory

I've not lost a fair dinkum bearing buddy - when I've used them …… but you are right , the knock offs have come off on several occasions ( usually on big trips & bad roads) .

Curious if this use of Loctite is general practice

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    With the exception of one failure ( through neglect) on my very first boat (live & learn)…….. any bearing mishap has been caused by the loss of a grease cap or bearing buddy .
    I see more & more people using Loctite these days

Does it work using Loctite to secure bearing biddies or durahubs ?

Chris
    I use loctite on the durahubs. Haven’t lost one yet. In saying that though on the off-road trailer if I’m going on dirt/corrugated roads I add some tape for extra security.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I use loctite on the durahubs. Haven’t lost one yet. In saying that though on the off-road trailer if I’m going on dirt/corrugated roads I add some tape for extra security.
    I started using cloth tape as well on those longer trips …… certainly made a difference
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I used to use self amalgamating tape, a bastard to get off it is too hard to knock off easily. Used to lose a few at the ramps on overnighters before that.