Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your policy on rod breakages?

Re: Whats your policy on rod breakages?

Breaking above the stripper is a strange place to break.

Hard to tell from the pic but as you said could be a crush break. The way it has shattered certainly is pointing that way.

Wouldnt take much either
    Cheers

Steven

How do you get a rod to break high sticking in the bottom half of the rod?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by astro66 View Post
    thats what everyone ive had go looks like ....cleanish break on the opposite side of the force they shatter and split on the side the force is from....only takes the smallest nick or fault on the rod and bang ....should see them go when you have them in a rod holder with the drag cranked up lol ...
    Most rods have a line rating, now I've seen regularly where because of the thinness of braid people will put 20kg braid on an 8kg stick and with the drag loaded up, to me this is user error, how can anyone guarantee a rod when "NOT ALL CONDITIONS OF USE" are disclosed.

My mate fishes for coral trout using 80lb mono on a 10kg rod and the drag locked tight with multigrips to get them out from under the reef and he expects to be recompensed if it broke (I did ask him once). So Bucky2, your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Whats your policy on rod breakages?

As Stuart already said, it will break at the end of the load. i.e. The point where the blank doesn't have enough flex for the load/angle combination becomes the fulcrum.
    On a very fast action blank that may be nearer the tip.
    On a slower action that will be around the stripper.

I believe most breakages I've seen on graphite blanks are caused by handing.
    The main suspects are
    1: Stepping on the rod whilst it's on the floor of the boat. It won't break at this point, but the damage is done.
    2: Sticking the rod in the holder with the hook in a guide and a sinker attached then charging across the bay at 30 knots while that sinker flails about smacking the blank.

Edit: just noticed you'd already pointed out the sinker thing.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

My mate fishes for coral trout using 80lb mono on a 10kg rod and the drag locked tight with multigrips to get them out from under the reef and he expects to be recompensed if it broke (I did ask him once). So Bucky2, your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.
    Only rod I'd build him would be a hand line.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

The couple of rods I've broken have snapped while casting, about 2 guides below the tip. Oh and another couple got caught on something while in the car or boat and reversing.