Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Barra Masterclass

Re: Barra Masterclass

Guys,
    The answer lies in knowledge of the species.
    I wont be divulging here, if your keen enough to learn you will source the relevant info regarding Barra behaviour, that combined with experience will give you the answers to the above questions.
    Cheers
    Jas

Chris, fun, informative, educational, intriguing, irratating, frustrating, sounds like a day barra fishin - bring it on

cheers
    brian
    ps
    where the hell do you get these thread ideas from

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Guys,
    I wont be divulging here, if your keen enough to learn you will source the relevant info regarding Barra behaviour, that combined with experience will give you the answers to the above questions.
    Cheers
    Jas

bugger
    Steve, hows that book goin???

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    mate, fun, informative, educational, intriguing, irratating, frustrating, sounds like a day barra fishin - bring it on

cheers
    brian
    ps
    where the hell do you get these thread ideas from
    Brian

I'm a sad sad case ........ If I can't do it .... I just have to think about it , talk about it , write about it! ....... + I know that on here , I can take some comfort that I'm not the only one

Cheers

Chris

PS ...... 6 months to relocation ( & permanent IBD therapy)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Brian

I'm a sad sad case ........ If I can't do it .... I just have to think about it , talk about it , write about it! ....... + I know that on here , I can take some comfort that I'm not the only one

Cheers

Chris

PS ...... 6 months to relocation ( & permanent IBD therapy)

like I says, bring it...
    its only going to take one more post about winter fish up there and Im headin up for some cool weather barra fishing

Guys,
    Cheers
    Jas

Now what is it with you Gladstone boys ???? ...... You all speak in riddles ( I'm sure that smelter is causing damage) ...... Could you imagine if JM , Trev & Jas wrote a barra book together .......... It would be like Enigma meets NostraDarmis

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    like I says, bring it...
    its only going to take one more post about winter fish up there and Im headin up for some cool weather barra fishing
    give it a couple of weeks until the weather stablises Brian...do it then!!

It will be worth your while I reckon.

I haven't written a book for ages.....spending too much time here!!

next one might be titled ' why chocolate frogs dont swim'

Steve

Just some of my thoughts -

I reckon when a barra makes up its mind to take a fish (or your lure) they'll nail it on the inhale, crunch it and spit out the scales on the exhale (sometimes they may spit the fish as well ) then if all felt good grab again and/or swallow. If some thing's not right they'll reject the offering. I suspect most lures that get the crunch also get rejected but with the number of points on hand to hook the fish it happens on the exhale with middle or rear trebles grabbing the fish. I've seen fish do this a few times to lures, both HBs and SBs

When a fish is not so sure about an object it'll inhale cautiously and from a distance, hoping to draw the fish back in but from arms length so as to speak (maybe to keep the object within it's vision at all times?), often line tension inhibits the drawback on the object and the fish does not connect, this is often felt as a boof up the line, or if you're bare footed you may feel it through the hull of the boat. What can sometimes be felt a split second later is no lure tension at all for an instant as the fish turns and sends a bow wave of water forward pushing the lure ahead of it, you'll see this as a swirl of water rising to the surface.

When a fish is really suss about an object to the point of it doesn't want it around, or is reluctant to put it into its mouth having no arms or legs to give it a flick or kick the fish gives it a whack with its head. If you think about the weaponary of the head, hard, bony and razor gill plates it's the best they have to intimidate anything else. If its a lure once again with lots of pointy bits hookups can easily occur.

The less points on a lure the less chance of a hook up on the external section of a fish. the more lifelike a object feels the greater chance there will be a genuine attempt to swallow it more often.

Now what is it with you Gladstone boys ???? ...... You all speak in riddles ( I'm sure that smelter is causing damage)
    Chris
    Sorry Chris,
    I have given a truckload of info out over the years, here and elsewhere.
    I'll make myself redundant if I give out any more, no-one will need a guide if its all out there!
    Fortunatley, there are still many parts of the puzzle that are not known by all, those are the ones that make a difference.
    I wasnt lying when I said the answer lies within the species.
    Cheers
    Jas

Sorry Chris,
    I'll make myself redundant if I give out any more, no-one will need a guide if its all out there!
    Fortunatley, there are still many parts of the puzzle that are not known by all, those are the ones that make a difference.
    Cheers
    Jas
    I think we all understand the situation Jas ...... I was only pulling your leg on this one

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    give it a couple of weeks until the weather stablises Brian...do it then!!

It will be worth your while I reckon.

I haven't written a book for ages.....spending too much time here!!

next one might be titled ' why chocolate frogs dont swim'

Steve
    Steve ....... You've just reminded me ......... Congratulations on the elevation to legend status! I read it in Fishing Monthly!
    Now I know why the Pope is coming to Oz ..... Move over Mary McKillop ( & Kylie) ....... We have our very own Steve B "for services to Gin Gin , the sick , Barra ....... & Ausfish"

Cheers

Chris

PS ..... I love the title of the new book

Steve ....... You've just reminded me ......... Congratulations on the elevation to legend status! I read it in Fishing Monthly!
    Now I know why the Pope is coming to Oz ..... Move over Mary McKillop ( & Kylie) ....... We have our very own Steve B "for services to Gin Gin , the sick , Barra ....... & Ausfish"

Cheers

Chris

PS ..... I love the title of the new book
    Chris
    Mate thats ridiculous isn't it.!! Legend my a$%e....not even in the same post code as the 'true legends'......thats Just woodsy hanging some crap on me as he does regularly!! He wrote a lot more regarding my hair stlye and 'stefan' ect....thankfully it got edited out!!!

steve

Jeez....i mean....Steve, I was just thinking about a pilgrimage to the holy town if Gin Gin to worship at the feet of the Ham fisted one. Stefan hair do is a good'n. I'll remember that one.

Sorry Chris,
    Cheers
    Jas
    HA ha. What page and chapter number is that again in that species. Will have to pull that species out from under the recent qfm mags I think and have another look.
    Birko

As most of you know l am a fan of SPs ... At the moment The Squig is the lure of choice ...So easy to use... they roll, and twist and that tail works just fine ..Just cast them out and wind them in...Jason , Bushy and Starlo did there homework on this product ...Simple...Here you have a product that works in a lot of different Applications Shallow ,deep ,,fast slow. Yes the Squig is multi talented Somewhere along the track someone will come up with a lure that works even better ...it will happen... but untill they do its my go to lure