Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vhf radios

Red face vhf radios

hi I have just bought a new boat,i mainly fish the dams but also looking at fishing moreton bay and part. smooth waters on the coast.iam going to install a vhf radio for safety.i used to live at Redcliffe but now live in Dalby.iam told I need to have a licence for the radio is this correct .I had a vhf in my boat when I lived at Redcliffe and was pulled up for gear checks but never asked to see a radio licence.how many members have a licence.merv

Re: vhf radios

Your supposed to but many people don't, if you decide not to at least learn the protocol for proper use

It's pretty simple to get a license, and costs little, so you might as well just get one, lots of places do the test.

Not required to have a licence to have it in the boat, just to use it. So if your putting it in to tick the open waters box, no you don't have to get a licence.
    Getting a licence is a pain in the but, particularly as your living in Dalby, You will have to go to the big smoke for a day and attend a course / do the test. No other way of getting it I'm afraid. The Kiwi's are much smarter, they have on line courses you can do, but we are not so smart over here.

1. Marine operators certificate in this case can certainly be done on line and could be done without leaving Dalby depending on the training provider. If done through AMC (Tasmania) the nearest invigilator is Toowoomba

2. So as to separate opinions from the actual requirements, current license requirements are as follows

Operator qualifications
    (1)A person must not operate a maritime ship station on VHF maritime frequencies in the VHF band unless the person:
    (a) is qualified to operate the station; or
    (b) is operating the station under the supervision of a person who is qualified to operate the station.

(2)A person is qualified to operate the station both within and beyond the Australian territorial sea if the person holds:
    (a) a GMDSS Certificate;
    (b) a Marine Radio Operator Certificate of Proficiency;
    (c) a Marine Radio Operator VHF Certificate of Proficiency;
    (d) a Short Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency;
    (e) a Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency;
    (f) a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate of Proficiency; or
    (g) qualifications recognised by the ACMA as being equivalent to any of the qualifications mentioned in paragraphs (a) to (f).

(3) A person is qualified to operate the station only in the Australian territorial sea and inland waterways if the person holds:
    (a) a statement of attainment for the completion of the Australian Waters Qualification; or
    (b) a qualification recognised by the ACMA as being equivalent to the qualification mentioned in paragraph (a).

Note 1
    A person is qualified to operate or supervise the operation of a station in an area described in subsection 8(2) or subsection 8(3) only if the person holds a qualification described in the applicable provision.
    Note 2 The Australian Waters Qualification described in pargraph 8(3)(a) is not a certificate of proficiency and its holder is not a qualified operator for the purposes of Division 5, Part 3.3 of Chapter 3 of the Act.

If you get a VHF with DSC, you'll need to provide proof of your license when applying for an MMSI.

At least I had to.

One of my boats, i just put the 27meg in and the other boat I have just bought has the VHF in so, Satnav, your comments about licensing has brought me to ask, if a person holds a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate of Proficiency, does he have to get a marine license or just wing it by producing what he has if required?
    otherwise Merv, i'm going to go and just do it at the Jacobs Well Volunteer Coast Guard when they do it next.. you're more than welcome to car pool as I live in Dalby as well..

1. New SROCP covers VHF

2. New LROCP covers VHF & MF/HF

3. Old RROCP (including ROCP) covered MF/HF & VHF (and still does) but is not equivalent to LROCP

4. Essentially sandbank pete you are covered but the SROCP & LROCP includes more modern technologies to do with GMDSS, DSC, beacons and AMSA

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Marine operators certificate in this case can certainly be done on line and could be done without leaving Dalby depending on the training provider. If done through AMC (Tasmania) the nearest invigilator is Toowoomba
    So he has to go to the Big Smoke for the test yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    So he has to go to the Big Smoke for the test yes?
    1. No he would not have to go to the big smoke

Quick questions if I may.

I have a vhf purely to tick the box for going offshore. I have never even turned it on. If I had to use it in an emergency, hypothetically I could get into trouble, what are the penalties, and do you reckon they would be imposed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NomadNoosa View Post
    Quick questions if I may.

I have a vhf purely to tick the box for going offshore. I have never even turned it on. If I had to use it in an emergency, hypothetically I could get into trouble, what are the penalties, and do you reckon they would be imposed?

Thanks
    You won't get into trouble buddy. It's a safety feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    1. This age old pathetic excuse, attitude and thinking would be the bane of all responsible boating operators and simply continues to highlight self-justification.

2. Rules are for mules, as long as you follow the protocol go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    agree - and yep go get a licence if you intend to use it regularly say in mate to mate comms etc - but as a safety feature up to you regardless of the other rather inflexible view