Thread: Lone ranger. ( I mean Everest ) :)

Lone ranger. ( I mean Everest ) :)

I just read that fords ranger suv variant and pick up are only rated to MA, not MC. this means you cant lift and are limited in tyres it can carry. How much of a dent will this make to their sales and 4wd modification industry?

Re: Lone ranger.

None because people will lift them anyway. Anything over 2 inches is illegal in Qld or so I have been lead to believe but you see plenty getting around that have had more than that.

MA MC? Are we supposed to know every abbreviation?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    MA MC? Are we supposed to know every abbreviation?
    I must admit I also don't quite understand what they mean, or the implications to modifications....

Ausfish Silver Member

Link not working for me tracker

Ausfish Silver Member

should work.does here.
    extract.....THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MA AND MC CATEGORIES

The official definitions of MA and MC are:
    4.3.1 PASSENGER CAR (MA) A passenger vehicle, not being an off-road passenger vehicle or a forward-control passenger vehicle, having up to 9 seating positions, including that of the driver.
    4.3.3. OFF-ROAD PASSENGER VEHICLE (MC)
    A passenger vehicle having up to 9 seating positions, including that of the driver and being designed with special features for off-road operation. A vehicle with special features for off-road operation is a vehicle that:
    (a) Unless otherwise ‘Approved‘ has 4 wheel drive; and
    (b) has at least 4 of the following 5 characteristics calculated when the vehicle is at its ‘Unladen Mass‘ on a level surface, with the front wheels parallel to the vehicle’s longitudinal centreline, and the tyres inflated to the ‘Manufacturer‘s’ recommended pressure:
    (i) ‘Approach Angle‘ of not less than 28 degrees;
    (ii) ‘Breakover Angle‘ of not less than 14 degrees;
    (iii) ‘Departure Angle‘ of not less than 20 degrees;
    (iv) ‘Running Clearance‘ of not less than 200 mm;
    (v) ‘Front Axle Clearance‘, ‘Rear Axle Clearance‘ or ‘Suspension Clearance‘ of not less than 175 mm each

Ausfish Silver Member

see... told ya it was clear as mud...

Yep working for me now.

So essentially this whole thread has nothing to do what so ever with the Ford Ranger but specifically with the Ford Everest. Think we need a title change here.

sorry if i misnamed the vehicle, but it was too good to pass up, lol.
    I would be good if somebody could clear up the situation.
    My understanding is that the mc/ma ratings differences are in the modifications and accessories allowed. MC ratings allow for different tyres than MA due to vehicles top speed potential and tyre ratings. Clearly a car with 240km/hr top speed cant ride on offroad tyres rated to 140km/hr.
    but a 4wd, well thats different. Is it a case of common sense and government regulations falling so far behind technology?

Basically the government regulations are a joke and make no sense. If enough people tell dealers that the reason they didn't go through with the purchase of a Everest because of the MA rating, Ford will pull their finger out and get the second MC rating for their 4x4 variants.