Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island Awinya Creek / Wathumba Creek Options

Fraser Island Awinya Creek / Wathumba Creek Options

Looking for some advice and feedback from others who may have made the effort. I am planning a week long camping and fishing trip to Fraser in November and undecided between these 2 locations. It's a bit of a logistical challenge as I have the 4.8 Galie which I need to launch, then run up the inside of Fraser and rendezvous with the 2 vehicles which will carry the camping gear, fuel etc. (not keen on towing a glass boat across the island.)

Awinya looks the logical choice as we can launch at Urunga and take the Kingfisher barge across whereas doing the Wathumba thing means a fair bit more Island driving from Kingfisher or a pretty epic run up the inside of the Island from end to end with an Inskip Point launch in the boat but I have the shelter of the creek to anchor up each night versus a western beach anchorage if we choose Awinya.

thanks in advance for anyone who has some recent experience camping at either location. Steve

Re: Fraser Island Awinya Creek / Wathumba Creek Options

huh - am a bit confused .

Xtreme, I haven't been to Awinya recently but friends of ours who go there regularly couldn't get across the creek even on a low tide as the depth of the creek was too much, everyone had to leave their vehicles behind and carry all their camping gear across the creek, could be quite a chore. Could have changed as this was a few months ago.

The campsite at Wathumba in the last month has been relatively empty, one advantage is you won't have to dig any toilets. Whichever site you go for don't forget the Bushman as the midges and squitos can carry you away, especially after the recent rains there.

I have camped in this area lots of times and cant work out why more people don't do it awesome and quiet. Moon point to Wathumba stretch can be a little tricky with some soft spots and the fresh water creeks can only be crossed at 1/2 tide or less, the salt water creek just north of Moon point is 1 hr either side of low tide only and then safer to go long way around ie inland track.
    Sand flies more prevalent around Moon Point and Wathumba creek all spots in between lots less, more so early morn and on night fall.
    Awinya creek is nice but open, but most northern of the 3 major freshwater creeks.
    AB

If your mates are going to tow an empty boat trailer to the camp site, going via Kingfisher is not the go - unless it is on half decent wheels and tyres with some clearance as the track is not great. I'd leave it behind anyway as it's pretty much useless on the west beach. Leave the boat anchored out or up the creek if a Westerly blows.
    The run in a boat from inskip to moon then up the inside isn't all that long or bad depending on conditions as long as you have the fuel. That way the cars can go straight up the back beach and cross on either the Wooralie track for Awinya or the Wathumba Rd depending on where you choose to camp. I would recommend taking the Woralie Rd all the way to the beach then turn North rather than taking the Awinya turnoff - the pics everybody has seen of the sunk hilux in the creek and the blokes dragging the conqueror camper through salt water are all taken on the Awinya bypass track - I'm guessing Dignity's mates a couple of posts up got caught out by it too.
    If you are leaving the trailer on the mainland, then launching out of Urangan (Urunga is a looong way in a GF) is the go, then park the trailer and the crew can get the barge - I'd recommend getting the barge going to Woongoolba Creek every time rather than the one going to the resort - It's a heap quicker trip through Central station, Eurong and up the beach (you could take a boat trailer through here too if need be).
    November has Northerlies so watch the weather - if there is a few days with N and W in it, I'd can the West beach idea straight away because it will be weeded up badly - this makes for pretty treacherous driving conditions. Pay attention to what the weather has done the week before you leave - you've been warned.
    The moon point Rd has been shut since the 2011 floods - It is still passable but not a track I'd recommend to someone who hasn't been there before, and then you still have to cross Coongul ck which is the biggest and has eaten plenty of cars.
    If they are adventurous you can drive from kingfisher to Awinya on inland tracks - takes about 4-5 hours towing a camper but if the tides are wrong it is an option I have taken before - recommend not meeting anyone else towing a camper - those tracks are not well used or formed.
    Take plenty of bug spray.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    If your mates are going to tow an empty boat trailer to the camp site, going via Kingfisher is not the go - unless it is on half decent wheels and tyres with some clearance as the track is not great. I'd leave it behind anyway as it's pretty much useless on the west beach anyway.
    The run in a boat from inskip to moon isn't all that long or bad depending on conditions as long as you have the fuel. That way the cars can go straight up the back beach and cross on either the Wooralie track for Awinya or the Wathumba Rd depending on where you choose to camp. I would recommend taking the Woralie Rd all the way to the beach rather than taking the Awinya turnoff - the pics everybody has seen of the sunk hilux in the creek and the blokes dragging the conqueror camper through salt water are taken on the Awinya bypass track.
    If you are leaving the trailer on the mainland, then launching out of Urangan (Urunga is a looong way in a GF) is the go, then park the trailer and the crew can get the barge - I'd recommend the barge going to Woongoolba Creek every time rather than going to the resort - It's a heap quicker trip through Central station Eurong and up the beach (you could take a boat trailer through here too if need be).
    November has Northerlies so watch the weather - if there is a few days with N and W in it, I'd can the West beach idea because it will be weeded up badly - this makes for pretty treacherous driving conditions. Pay attention to what the weather has done the week before you leave - you've been warned.
    The moon point Rd has been shut since the 2011 floods - It is still passable but not a track I'd recommend to someone who hasn't been there before, and then you still have to cross Coongul ck which is the biggest and has eaten plenty of cars.
    If they are adventurous you can drive from kingfisher to Awinya on inland tracks - takes about 4-5 hours towing a camper but if the tides are wrong it is an option I have taken before - recommend not meeting anyone else towing a camper - those tracks are not well used or formed.
    Great info, mate.

With regard to weed, do you notice it's bad between Coongul and Wathumba in northerlies? I know it gets shocking between Moon Pt and Coongul, but haven't done the further north stretch in anything other than SE winds. Would have thought there'd be less weed between Coongul and Wathumba as it's slightly shallower offshore from there, but who knows. The stretch from Wathumba to Rooney's is a nightmare in SE winds. Thanks heaps.

Cuzza

The westerlies will bring the weed onto the beach all the way along to Wathumba. The rocks between wathumba and rooneys get filled with it which makes picking lines a bit difficult, but not many people have to worry about driving up there unless they are lighthouse staff or parkies.
    You are right about the Northerlies weeding up the southern section more than the north. South Westers is the other way round, but everywhere cops it.
    I'm going up next week so keeping an eye on it now.

Cheers, mate. If you could let us know how the weed is, that'd be great. Would be good right now with this strong SE blow, but being October, I don't think that will last too long. At least you should have few days with SW in them this time of year.

Have a cracker trip.

Cuzza

Just back today. The weed came into the shore break on the couple of days we had those south westers but cleared out again with the change. No long tails for me this year, the northerlies put them down and getting out on the kayak was dicey. Had a good trip though.

Anyone got an update on the weed situation?

Quote Originally Posted by sam687 View Post
    Anyone got an update on the weed situation?
    I Will be able to tell about Awinya on Boxing day, when r u heading up.

I'm heading up on the 28th.

Any recent updayes on the conditions? Going up on the 1st of feb towing 3.8m tinny on decent clearance trailer.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

the track leading to Awinya Creek is just like normal and the creek is very low on low tide with no deep hole to cross,
    however the best way to Awinya is to go to Woralie Creek and then head up the beach.

there is now 2 outlets for Awinya creek and both are best crossed around 2 hours from low.

Awesome cheers, did you take the track from just before the pinacles accross to woralie or did you come in from happy valley?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk