Thread: fish, fish everywhere but left my gun at home

fish, fish everywhere but left my gun at home

dived off Newcastle last week looking for crays (a regular haunt). didn't take my gun as it only gets in the way when cray diving. saw lots of kittens but no decent crays. but the fish, the bloody fish, they were everywhere. nigger to 2kg, dumb as dog shit, swimming side on laughing at me. big drummer, bream, jackets and mowies everywhere, a dozen or more big blue groper, lots of bait. i though i was at sydney aquarium!!

when that swell backs off mid week i'll be back down there to take my revenge on those black fish and drummer that mocked me last week.

Re: fish, fish everywhere but left my gun at home

Mate you can bet your left n.... that mid week they will be long gone.
    I see that your from Blacksmiths.... I spent a lot of my youth staying at my Grandparents place in Kuttul St. or at my Aunts in Beltana St.

Dont you still have to smile at the groper and keep swimming?

Muzz

Yeah groper are a no go for spearing, wouldn't want to hit one anyway, i don't rate them as table food. but fresh drummer and ocean luderick on the other hand...

with the groper i tend to smash up an urchin or two and then swim on.

G'day Chopper Taylor,

Mate, I use to spearfish around a few places when I grew up in Newcastle, Been to Anna Bay, Caves Beach, Swansea Heads, Catherine Hill Bay . I'm sort of bit homesick at times but dont have a home as such anymore.

What part of Newcastle did you find these big drummer?

I'm in Brisbane now.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by aussiefool View Post
    Mate you can bet your left n.... that mid week they will be long gone.
    I see that your from Blacksmiths.... I spent a lot of my youth staying at my Grandparents place in Kuttul St. or at my Aunts in Beltana St.
    G'day Andrew,

Nice spot Blacksmiths Beach. Brings back memories for me too.

Peter

I dive all over the place in our lunch break. mostly the rocks between newcastle beach and Susan Gilmore.

Susan Gillmore?

I think that was a nudist beach last time I was there (25 years or so ago).

Nice blue water and very refreshing in summer, winter a bit more refreshing.

Each time I had a speargun, not much fish to be seen or had, no speargun and the buggers were everywhere.

Joe Cockey fish sits on rocks long enough to spear, they taste good, will have to go back and do some more spearfishing when I can....I think most of Fisherman's Bay near Anna Bay is all Marine Park now, would this be true?

Friggin extreme greenies are bed partners with the Govt, who's turn is it over the barrel this time??!!!!

Peter
    Peter

some of the area around Nelsons Bay is marine park. The marine parks which are created to protect grey nurse sharks are the worst. I've speared most parts of the east coast and seen nurses in most parts. i just came back from Point Plummer and saw them there, yet that isn't one of the recognised areas they are supposed to be. considering most spearo's only dive on reefs about 60-70 feet deep, i wonder how many nurses are in the deeper areas or isolated parts of the coast?

G'day Chopper Taylor,

I think from Northern Stockton Beach right up to northern tip of seals rocks is now one big marine park....no consultation with the people or stakeholders. Extreme greenies and academics doing modeling predictions, not many venture outside their classroom.

I reckon grey nurses will be like crocodiles on the comeback. (crocs need to be culled back to a population close to 1944 level).