Thread: $59 walkway

$59 walkway

Hi,
    This is my first Ausfish thread, so as a learner boatie,
    I will take the opportunity to say thanks for all the fantastic ideas
    & valuable info I have gained.

I want to put out the idea of using the
    $59 [Aldi next Sat] ally motorcycle ramp as a
    trailer walkway, I think it may need a quick grind to make it sit straight.

Regards.

Re: $59 walkway

Hello tjotter,

Some things to consider;
    Aluminium and galvanised steel react very strongly, you may want to insulate the walkway from the trailer.
    I made my walkway out of a plank of treated timber, very cheap, held in place with zip ties, no corrosion, no drilling holes in the trailer, has worked very well for a few years now.
    The plank came with a grooved finish = non-skid.
    Some one else may have even better ideas.

Hi tjotter,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I agree with Crocodile.
    However I noticed that walkways on trailers overall seem limited in popularity.
    The idea of walking downhill on a wet narrow surface with no hand rail is one thing, but a slip and fall in that situation would HURT.
    My point is that check if you really think this suits you before you go to any real trouble.
    Pauly
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I built my trailer with a centre walkway best thing ever.
    As far as falling off the trailer it is something that has never ever been close to doing, the trailer is as steady as the concrete ramp and much less slippery.
    The next trailer though will be a bunk trailer, no more probs ever with the trailer.
    Jack.

I too have always wanted a safe walkway plank down the trailer and what you are suggesting seems like an economical solution. You shouldn't get too much reaction between the galvanising and the ally and you could use a bit bi metal grease or at least some INOX on any contact points if concerned. There are a lot of hybrid trailers out there with both gal and ally together with no obvious corrosion issues from what I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    ...Some things to consider;
    Aluminium and galvanised steel react very strongly, you may want to insulate the walkway from the trailer.
    I made my walkway out of a plank of treated timber...
    Insulating (from each other) any dissimilar metals around/in salt water is always a good thing, however this statement is not correct. Aluminium and zinc are very close on the Metals Nobility Table (Table of Nobility etc), and hence are quite good together! However, the zinc will corrode faster than the alloy as it is less 'Noble'.

Where the galv trailer (zinc) is more important/costly than the $59 ally walkway, you should definitely isolate the metals.

Not sure if I can get this to work on my phone, but here is one link.
    http://www.corrosionist.com/galvanic...sion_chart.htm

PS. Also be wary of some treated timbers on alloy and zinc trailers. Good old CCA treated timber is treated with 'Copper Chrome Arsenic'. Nowadays the CCA is probably not as strong as it used to be, but would pay to be wary with salt soaked timber in contact with zinc/alloy.

I'm less likely to be eaten by a croc if I'm within the safety of my wobble rollers.
    I just have a wooden plank and use it all the time

Try getting a thick kitchen cutting board and cutting to size with a jigsaw if you're worried about gal on aluminum

If you're scared of getting your feet wet then buy some rainboots.
    All bets are off with crocs though.

A wooden plank walkway with some painted over sand might do the job - what I'm thinking of doing with my boat trailer.Coat or two of paint, sprinkle with sand (while paint still wet) then paint over?
    Last edited by moater; 05-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    I too have always wanted a safe walkway plank down the trailer and what you are suggesting seems like an economical solution. You shouldn't get too much reaction between the galvanising and the ally and you could use a bit bi metal grease or at least some INOX on any contact points if concerned. There are a lot of hybrid trailers out there with both gal and ally together with no obvious corrosion issues from what I have seen.
    Top advice there

If u dont like getting wet, just get a set of cheapo waders one size too big, and leave them in the boot of the P76 ready to go.
    Walkways, slippery ramps, and curious bum sniffing dogs with cold wet noses are all things i have suffered from in the past when retrieving.

I recently rebuilt my tandem trailer and added a walkway. Not down the middle, but down the side (on the right part of the Y), and it is the best thing. Would not be without one. Don't know why they are not more popular, unless it is just an expense thing with manufacturers.

Hi crocodile, I know this post is as old as the hills but .........any chance you could take a few pics of yr wooden walkway n zip ties as I'm v interested in doing the same
    cheers
    2kk