Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 18ft Cougar Cat Info

Re: 18ft Cougar Cat Info

70's might be a bit low I think, the old flat bottom ones needed a bit less power, but maybe not that much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    It's an 18' not a 16'.
    I don't believe this to be the case. If you look at the original pics with the windscreen on it is a 5m. The 18 or 560 never had a windscreen that looked like that IMHO.

If it is an 18 yes you would need more power than 70's. I'm pretty certain it's an original 5m 16 footer.

Darren

On a 16' the side planks went all the way to the back and the back was flat.

Quote Originally Posted by leezor View Post
    Thanks to everyone that responded, also recieved an email from Cougar Cat confirming they have never manufactured a boat less than 6 meters. I have just over $2k in it currently so theoretically I could restore it without over budgeting. It's a matter of if I have the patience...
    Was going to say give Harry Roberts a call himself. He loves a chat and it is his business. Didn't think they went that small.

his number if you want to call him is 0407031118.
    Cheers

Steven

Shark cat.jpgMine was a 1976 with 1976 70 hp Johnsons 20 inch shafts . I re powered it with 90 yamahas and lifted the transoms 5 inches .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

looks like a big job, love to see the finished article

Hey Dave, that looks very similar. I dare say mine had a repower in 1995. I also noticed today the trailer was manufactured in 1995 which is a coincidence. Do you happen to know what size fuel tanks they come with?

Steve, thanks for the contact number. The confirmation email I recieved was from Harry.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

You will probably find that the boat was 70's, and 20 years later, someone repowered and got another trailer, just like now, another 20 years later, you have it and are thinking of starting giving it a new life, kind of adds up hey?

Lee
    I think it had 75 liters a side , when i replaced the floor i made the tanks bigger to 150 a side . Every body told me the tanks would be fiberglass but it turned out they were stainless so we added on to the original . One thing i hated was the spray it sucked in the back always had to wear a rain coat to keep your back dry , you may see the pipes coming of the cowlings in the photos that was so the engines got clean air . The old 70's would be covered in salt under the cowling , they were hard on engines because counter rotating was not around then . I fitted hydraulic steering with made steering a lot easier . I remember taking a shark cat for a test run that had 115 chryslers on it and to turn it port you had to back off on the throttle .
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Counter rotation had/has nothing to do with the spray, it was simply a "feature" that was largely rectified later on, it only occurred when side on to the wind.

Spray or mist?

Mist, kind of sucked on behind when side on to a decent wind, a slight change on direction will see it go.