Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Icey Tek ice boxes any good?

Question Icey Tek ice boxes any good?

looking at some (2) icey tek 160 ltr split lid eskies for the boat they look the goods and are about $360 bucks cheaper (Each so $720 in total) than the fiber glass ones , the split lid design will be just what my cockpit set up needs no more dragging the whole esky from under the seat in a hot bite to put a fish in

Any one had any experience with these eskies? what is the good and the bad?

BigE

Re: Icey Tek ice boxes any good?

Don't have a split lid but my one holds ice better than any esky I've owned.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

We have 4 icey teks would bother with anything else. A mate had the split lid 260's he loved them
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Yeah had a 120l for more than 10yrs. I have put a couple of new stainless hinges on but no issues as far as keeping ice goes. Good box for the price

Sent from my CPH1715 using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Silver Member

Have a few Icey tec boxes for a several years now. Bit rust on hinges, bungy cord snapped on one- I just have to replace that but it also has the s/s latches. No complaints-nothing for their age and treatment received. Hold ice well- good value for dollar. Agree with the above - would be my first option for a value ice box

Had one for over ten years, lid warped slightly in the sun but hasn't effected its keeping cool ability that I have noticed in any major way.....tough bloody thing....I would recommend them

Far out .... wish I had seen this an hour ago - ordered a 120lt Fiberglass Evakool

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Far out .... wish I had seen this an hour ago - ordered a 120lt Fiberglass Evakool

Chris
    You should have waited, evakool do a big sale just before Xmas although may be too far for you to travel. I got a 100l from them a couple of years ago as a second, I wanted the catches on the ends for various reasons, they took it out back, repositioned them at no charge.

Agree with others have a 80l version never had an esky that actually holds I’ve so well! Best I’ve done is 3 days on 2 bags of ice with it sitting in the sun!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    You should have waited, evakool do a big sale just before Xmas although may be too far for you to travel. I got a 100l from them a couple of years ago as a second, I wanted the catches on the ends for various reasons, they took it out back, repositioned them at no charge.
    actually ... you can still buy seconds from them . I nearly did but ended up buying online from that mob that do the kickass stuff. The price was pretty darn good.... actually better than darn good at $439 when you consider that a 60lt costs $450 at BCF.

I guess if I had to pay the full price $700ish I probably would have gone with a techni ice etc.

I do say though my 60lt Eva-kool has been excellent over the past 12 years aside from losing a latch ...... real world keeping ice for a week up in North Queensland in an open boat had me thinking Eva-kool fibreglass again.

It is interesting hearing the positive feedback for Icey tek though ...... my concerns though which is relevant for pretty well every roto Moulded ice box is the external dimensions vs the volume .....
    a typical 100/105lt poly pretty well takes up the same space as a 120lt Fibreglass Eva-Kool

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for the feedback everyone , love the collective wisdom and like minded people sharing their knowledge / experience.

160 ltr split lids look like a good thing and will fit a good size mac without having to fold him.
    looks like new eskies for Xmas.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone , love the collective wisdom and like minded people sharing their knowledge / experience.

160 ltr split lids look like a good thing and will fit a good size mac without having to fold him.
    looks like new eskies for Xmas.

BigE
    Go for it, I have a split lid from Coleman on the tinnie held together with duct tape as I can't find any ting in the 60 litre size with split lids, it is a cheap one and won't hold ice for more than about 2 days but I love having the split lid.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    actually ... you can still buy seconds from them. .....

It is interesting hearing the positive feedback for Icey tek though ...... my concerns though which is relevant for pretty well every roto Moulded ice box is the external dimensions vs the volume .....
    a typical 100/105lt poly pretty well takes up the same space as a 120lt Fibreglass Eva-Kool

chris
    Chris, but their once a year on site sale can be exceptionally cheaper. The other considerations is that fibreglass eskies can be lighter, a consideration as they get bigger in size, a bit like kayaks, pick up a roto moulded one and then pick up a fibreglass one, half the weight but twice the price unfortunately. Evakool are just around the corner from me so if you need a latch it other items let me know and I can get them for you and post them up.

Cheers Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Go for it, I have a split lid from Coleman on the tinnie held together with duct tape as I can't find any ting in the 60 litre size with split lids, it is a cheap one and won't hold ice for more than about 2 days but I love having the split lid.

Chris, but their once a year on site sale can be exceptionally cheaper. The other considerations is that fibreglass eskies can be lighter, a consideration as they get bigger in size, a bit like kayaks, pick up a roto moulded one and then pick up a fibreglass one, half the weight but twice the price unfortunately. Evakool are just around the corner from me so if you need a latch it other items let me know and I can get them for you and post them up.

Cheers Sam
    Much appreciated Sam

yes the weight factor was a consideration too ...... specially lifting this thing from out of the hatch. Fortunately this is a more upright box rather than the longer one .

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Picked up me 2 icey tek 160 ltr eskies.

wow really impressed very good finish for a rotor mold esky , fit perfect and have seat cushions for the half that sticks out from under the seat racks.
    very happy camper!!

NAGG while i was there i spied some 70ltr split lids that good really good well worth a look.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Picked up me 2 icey tek 160 ltr eskies.

wow really impressed very good finish for a rotor mold esky , fit perfect and have seat cushions for the half that sticks out from under the seat racks.
    very happy camper!!

NAGG while i was there i spied some 70ltr split lids that good really good well worth a look.

BigE
    Too late .... just had the 120lt Eva-Kool delivered

But thanks for the heads up

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO