Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the Crankshaft Business?

Anyone in the Crankshaft Business?

Are there any members in here in the engine rebuilding or crankshaft repairing businesses? i need advice

a few days ago i picked up a Honda 50hp outboard it was recently rebuilt by rookies and they used the wrong size bearings they complained the engine was "knocking" so they paid a mechanic to strip the engine and find the problem...

i have one worn con-rod journal the rest can be polished, i just came back from my automotive engine re-builder who does various other petrol engine crankshaft jobs and he said if i cant get a .5mm or 20 thou oversize/under size cant remember exactly the crank is no good now i asked about having the one journal welded he said that cost about $450 each journal OMG

now i just done a google search and found this place in the USA http://www.crankshaftcraftsmen.com/services/ i've never had a crank welded before but is $450 excessive? that shop in the USA charges $52-$68 per journal

Re: Anyone in the Crankshaft Business?

Should be able to get oversize bearings for it. Then it's a matter of machining the crank to accept those bearings.
    Can someone, anyone please like my facebook page? I need at least 30 likes.... Please

http://www.facebook.com/suncoastcivilwater

yeah i think it was Spanyard who sent me the Honda bearing instructions but i cant work out what thickness the bearings are so i thought i maybe better off restoring that one journal to OEM spec's

I would see if I could find a second hand one, either here or OS

http://www.flamecoatings.com.au
    Give them a call they're in Moorebank.

perfect thanks Fed i'll call them monday they are about 30mins drive from me

Plenty of repairers available Gazza that can repair non hardened cranks. IE: running white metal bearings. If it's a hardened crankshaft (as per a needle roller bearing arrangement) I don't believe there is anyone doing it in Australia anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    I don't believe there is anyone doing it in Australia anymore.
    Seriouse! thats a terrible state of affairs if true.

the cost difference i would say besides the usa being cheaper rates of pay ..... would most likely be shops welding to repair damage ,vs yours you need them all welded the whole way round and machined down back to size it would take days to build up and machine back to size

Plenty of repairers available Gazza that can repair non hardened cranks. IE: running white metal bearings. If it's a hardened crankshaft (as per a needle roller bearing arrangement) I don't believe there is anyone doing it in Australia anymore.
    BM who do i see about making the white bearings? im looking for the cheapest alternative here, asecondhand crank on american ebay sell for $400-$500 but looking at there pictures most need a polish as well so that bumps the price up more

the journal in question is my second last picture in post #1 i was told the rest can be polished, i tried the "penny test" and only that one journal is rough

ok just added a screen shot of the workshop manual the automotive bloke said if i can find a 20 thou size bearing it'll work

looking at the screen show how do i work out the bearing sizes? i really dont like imperial....

i checked my crank and rods for markings it "2 B" (yellow bearings), last owners were running "2 C" (green bearing's)

Just a thought and might lead nowhere but to be slightly better informed, how much is a brand new crank landed? from this seller I trust personally from many perfectly completed orders.....they will sell honda to OZ? hate geo caching like behaviours...it's way too Mafia/Cabal for me so I black-ban the brand out of respect for myself and others mostly...I know it's an outdated consideration today.

boats.net

good luck as the exchange rate does suck modernly.

brand new replacement gear like this always brings awesome advantages from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Just a thought and might lead nowhere but to be slightly better informed, how much is a brand new crank landed? from this seller I trust personally from many perfectly completed orders.....they will sell honda to OZ? hate geo caching like behaviours...it's way too Mafia/Cabal for me so I black-ban the brand out of respect for myself and others mostly...I know it's an outdated consideration today.

boats.net

good luck as the exchange rate does suck modernly.

brand new replacement gear like this always brings awesome advantages from start to finish.
    actually your onto something there FNQ, i have two honda 50's both for rebuild one has missing ID but does have the serial number stamped into the crankcase in big letters i believe its a 1995 honda the one i need the crank done on and i just checked boats net there only US$580 but our dollar does really suck atm that equals around AUD$810 without shipping

i'll see how much a used crank is in oz on monday i'll also see the other options posted above hopefully i can find a cheap alternative

just checked the local honda microfiche new crank is $1540 in oz

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    BM who do i see about making the white bearings? im looking for the cheapest alternative here, asecondhand crank on american ebay sell for $400-$500 but looking at there pictures most need a polish as well so that bumps the price up more
    Gazza, whoever regrinds your crank journal will be able to tell you what undersize you will need. He may need to know what undersize bearings that Honda can supply and then they can regrind to that.

Gazza, whoever regrinds your crank journal will be able to tell you what undersize you will need. He may need to know what undersize bearings that Honda can supply and then they can regrind to that.
    BM i was told i need a bearing 20 thou's or .5mm but i cant work out Honda's bearing sizes in post 11