Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Seafarer Ventura Rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Haha Giddy i thought that carpet was a throw back to the 70's wall paper
    Gaz, you say that like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    On a new boat with carpet on it and realised all the things against it over the years it made for a very comfortable day on the water.

Not such a bad thing Giddy it wasnt to my taste but its not my boat rebuild we all have different taste in things today... just that carpet really stood out from the ordinary i thought u would have went with a black or dark gray to keep it subtle, i'm from the 80's so i'm into the 90's and 00 era my choices would be much different to yours i can understand the orange it may come with your era

Ausfish Silver Member

i thought u would have went with a black or dark gray to keep it subtle,
    Just pulling your leg, mate.
    Yes, the red/orange was a bit over the top.
    Stand by for the next lot of pics, which will feature the new carpet and the finished upholstery.
    Shouldn't be much longer...

Years ago a woman posted here with pics of her Seafarer VSea, it had sort of the same colours as the carpet but they were on the outside of the boat. I thought it looked pretty good.
    In NSW the RMS only considers the actual weight on the wheels not including the weight on the towbar and I suspect Qld would be the same so you may have had a bit more leeway than you think. My boat would be over weight for sure, my wife it the hoarder from hell.

Fed when i've weighed unrego trailers they make u unhitch it from the car and weigh the whole trailer

That would be to get the weight of the trailer with no load on it.

Ausfish Silver Member

Had a bit of a play today and got a couple of jobs done.

Lifted the motor another hole - should stop the slight case of porpoising and go a bit easier on fuel - or so my Merc guru mate tells me.
    IMG_4244.jpg IMG_4245.jpg

It is really irritating that the site wont allow portrait shots.
    I'll try to remember in future to take all shots in landscape.

Got rid of all the red/orange carpet and went back to dark grey ribbed.
    The frd hatch is fixed in place, as it covers the 110 litre fuel tank.
    Obviously, the rear hatch is removable. Stowing jackets and safety gear there. Really too shallow (130mm) to do anything else with it...
    But the carpets worked out pretty well, in spite of their not being orange:
    IMG_4253.jpg

I did the final fit of the helm chairs, aft side seats and table.
    Fitted a gas suspension pedestal on the drivers side. I have one in the Mustang and they are pretty good.
    Luckily, the son likes the orange piping, so it doesn't have to be re-done or "suffered":
    IMG_4246.jpg IMG_4250.jpg IMG_4251.jpg

Still waiting on the bunk and backrest cushions from the upholsterer. Should be ready early next week.

Water testing again this weekend. Very close to hand over time.

Maybe then I can get the Mustang finished...

Ausfish Silver Member

Fed when i've weighed unrego trailers they make u unhitch it from the car and weigh the whole trailer
    Don't need a certificate for trailer weight any more.

That looks really nice Giddy the orange trim on the seats really sets it above and beyond that carpet change done a world of difference love the look of it looks like a high spec job top effort

Ausfish Platinum Member

Don't need a certificate for trailer weight any more.
    ATM and GTM are two separate things according to the relevant AS. If they want you to unhitch, then that is the ATM. If weighed hooked up, then the GTM applies. They cannot weigh you unhooked and then to apply the GTM rating.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    ATM and GTM are two separate things according to the relevant AS. If they want you to unhitch, then that is the ATM. If weighed hooked up, then the GTM applies. They cannot weigh you unhooked and then to apply the GTM rating.
    Good to know.
    Thank you.

Ausfish Silver Member

Raised the motor 1 hole (3/4"), replaced both power packs with very old spares I had lying about and took it for a test yesterday.

Surprisingly, the motor ran perfectly with the old PP's and punched faster out of the hole...

It was a bit blowy on the river, so we didn't try a WOT run, but it was faster by 2kts at 4,000rpm.
    I had a good look at the cav plate at that speed, and both upper plates were clear, but the lower (the real) anti- cavitation plate was still well underwater.

I took a video of it (which will not load onto this site) and sent it to my mate Cyril, who said to come up another hole. That's a total of 4 holes up! (This is exactly the same as happened with the Mustang, where I had to convert the leg from XXL to XL and modify the transom).

So this morning, I raised the motor to the 4th hole.
    IMG_4283.jpg

I checked all the dimensions.
    The transom is 25", the leg is XL (25"), and the motor now sits 3" above the transom.
    Didn't get a chance to test it today - no one wanted to come for a test run - so it will have to wait until next weekend to see if it is right.

Unhappy with having 2 Power Packs of indeterminate vintage, so I ordered a couple new ones off an eBay vendor. 2 for $71.00.
    My poor old mum used to say if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is, but it seems that these Chinese manufactured items sell for anything between $35.00 and $125.00 each.
    They have a 3 month guarantee, so I will fit them up as soon as they arrive and give the motor a thorough flogging. Probably take the Seafarer and the Mustang on a trip to the Gold Coast and back, just to prove reliability (or lack thereof).

Then all I have to do is fit the new bunk cushions, fit a WC and a VHF, orange pinstripe the black/white join on the side and cabin stripes and then hand it over, (hopefully with confidence), to my son and then start to enjoy boating and fishing again, rather than boat building...

But I definitely have my eyes open for a Formula 233 in need of a full restoration...

Giddy really old Johnson/Evinrudes in smaller HP had 21.5" legs do u think this could be the case with your Mercury needing to be raised so high?

Ausfish Silver Member

Giddy really old Johnson/Evinrudes in smaller HP had 21.5" legs do u think this could be the case with your Mercury needing to be raised so high?
    Good thought, but no cigar.
    25" exactly from bottom of transom bracket to cavitation plate on motor and 25" from top of transom to bottom of V.

Should have an answer tomorrow morning if we are on the right track or not...