Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerset ATM

Re: How's the fishing/yabbying at Somerest ATM

We will be up there from the 19th to the 21st. Hope to find a few fish and Red Claw too.
    Going to give the Glamping tents a try.

cragie I will be on powered tent site #33 the closest to the BBQ in front of the cabins (look out for a blue Pajero and a Jayco Expanda), feel free to say hi or drop in for a coldy, hopefully the Red Claw want to play.....

Those glamping tents sure look the goods, I had a look at one once when the cleaners were doing a clean.
    Cheers Axl

4th day at the dam it's been wet but very peaceful , we are averaging 40 Red Claw a day so we will take home plenty to get us through to next season.

Ran into cragie on Saturday he was heading out for a fish not sure how he went, how'd you go mate?
    Cheers Axl

a mate told me that his mate went up recently and where he got his licence they told him there is now a limit of 50 pp......I checked qld government site and all I can see is no limit, can you verify which way it is as im keen now that I retired early to go there, but not if only allowed 50

cheers

forgot to add that he was told he had to get a licence now to get redclaw, can you confirm this as well please axl

cheers

Limit north of... somewhere around rockhampton I think. That's their natural range. They're invasive in SEQ from what I gather.

"

• size limit - nil
    • bag limit - 40 from their natural range (Gulf of Carpentaria drainage and from Jacky Jacky river basin south to the Normanby River basin on the north east coast of Queensland)
    • females carrying eggs and young must be returned to the water when taken from the abovementioned waters.

"

No limit when taken outside of their natural range. Somerset is outside of their natural range.

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    a mate told me that his mate went up recently and where he got his licence they told him there is now a limit of 50 pp......I checked qld government site and all I can see is no limit, can you verify which way it is as im keen now that I retired early to go there, but not if only allowed 50

cheers
    Sorry for the late reply but as already mentioned no limit on Red Claw at Somerset robsue, they are considered a pest. I have spoken to people that return the females with eggs to keep the stocks up for the future but personally I don't think this is required (there seem to be millions already) and it is also illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by robsue View Post
    forgot to add that he was told he had to get a licence now to get redclaw, can you confirm this as well please axl

cheers
    I always get a licence just encase myself or the missus get the urge to wet a line, you can have two names on one ticket so for 30 odd bucks for the week its not a biggy, you need a boating permit if you have a registered boat as well. I take a car topper up with a 4h/p motor so I don't need one.
    Cheers Axl

Ok so we got back home today after a week up at the dam, it was a bit wet with several heavy showers but very enjoyable none the less.

We ended up with 520 Red Claw for the week from 12 pots (3 people) so if you a thinking of getting a feed they are certainly on the go at the moment.

We didn't do any fishing as the beer seemed to keep getting in the way so I cant personally comment on how the fishing is ATM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers Axl

Sounds like you had a great time Axl. What depth of water were the redclaw in?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time Axl. What depth of water were the redclaw in?
    Feral we were getting them in depths from 4-11 foot if you went any deeper they weren't around. We started off at 4-8 foot for the first couple of days the followed them into a bit deeper water as the week went on.

I had one pot that we didn't move all week as each morning when we checked them it was always the best producer and it was in 2.5-3 foot all week, but if you put another near this one it wouldn't get anything.

I have been chasing these critters for a couple of years now and I cant work out a pattern to them, it just seems to be try a spot/depth if you do no good then move them till you do.

This was by far our best haul and for the first time since I started yabbying at the dam they were active during the day, as I said there doesnt seem to be a rime nor reason to them.

I would walk around the park each morning with a cuppa sticky beaking and everyone that had come to chase chase Red Claw were doing extremely well.
    Cheers Axl

Well done on the Craw Axl !! cleaned up !!
    Nice to meet you up there mate, a shame we couldn't stay a bit longer and we would have come over for a beer.
    That good storm Saturday arvo chased us off the water early but we were struggling with the fishing on lures...not a touch !
    We got one nice fat Jewie on worms, but for the most part it was ratty pickers stealing our "Night-Crawlers'.

Might have to focus on the Red Claw a bit more next time.

Regards
    Craig

Just thought I would let you know the Red Claw at Somerset are starting to fire, the wife and I got up there for 5 nights last week and whilst we only brought 120 home there were some big ones in amongst them.

I cant get to far on the dam as I only have a 3.4m car topper with a 4h/p 2 banger so I have to put my traps in areas that are well used but we do alright, I was talking to a bloke who had his 4.2m with a 40h/p on the back and he was up to 600 in the freezer between himself and his mate. They had been going to places were not many people venture and they had been there for two weeks.

20151022_092704.jpg20151020_164019.jpg
    Cheers Axl

The missus and I are hooking the Expanda up and heading back to the dam on the 4th of March for a week of fishing/yabbying.

I've got a brand new 8 h/p two stroke Mercury outboard that needs to be run in, looking forward to having a bit more power on the back of the car topper.

Has anyone been out there lately? any reports on any Red Claw catches would be appreciated.
    Cheers Axl

Going up this Friday to Sunday let you know