Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best option for trailer for my 5.4 Signature save the old (photo) or go for a new one

Best option for trailer for my 5.4 Signature save the old (photo) or go for a new one

My original 2002 Sea-Link galvanised trailer is suffering a bit now from rust, particularly the two rear cross members to the point that the rear one now has a length of the under side with a gapeing hole. I could stuff around getting these cross members replaced as well as geting both wheel brake housings and discs replaced which are both corroded siezed solid and it also needs a new jockey wheel so am thinking perhaps now a new one is the better way to go and sell this one on to someone who has the work shop facility and tools to restore it. I am not too keen to get another galvanised one but the stainless/ aluminum ones are obviously more xy. Opinions and sugestions appreciated, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Best option for trailer for my 5.4 Signature save the old (photo) or go for a new

Mate looking at the photos I don't think you will get to many people wanting to buy it. Have you tried Sea link to see what the cost of a new frame is worth and change whatever you can off the old one to the new frame would be the cheapest way out of this one. Do you have the ability and tools to change?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Best option for trailer for my 5.4 Signature save the old (photo) or go for a new

The trouble with box-section is that, when the rust starts from inside, as they mostly do, you can't do a damn thing with it. I think you be battling to give that one away, from your description. If you buy an I-beam section galvanised trailer next time, you can have it blasted and re-galvanised when the rust starts, or just wire-brush it off and cold gal it every year.

I'd replace and offer for sale. If no one wants it the take off what's worth keeping and get rid of it.

You'll be better off in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

That one has reached its 'end of life' looking at the supplied photo's. And that is the rust you can see, as ranmar850 has said an I Beam framed trailer is the way to go if looking at gal again. If your in Brisbane FMS Trailers do custom trailers and their work is brilliant.

Cheers
    Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Mate looking at the photos I don't think you will get to many people wanting buy it. Have you tried Sea link to see what the cost of a new frame is worth and change whatever you can off the old one to the new frame would be the cheapest way out of this one. Do you have the ability and tools to change?
    Thanks Brett, I can do most mechanical stuff and have the tools, just no good at welding. Thats a good idea re Sea Link for the frame, will give them a call?

Quote Originally Posted by desertislander View Post
    Thanks Brett, I can do most mechanical stuff and have the tools, just no good at welding. Thats a good idea re Sea Link for the frame, will give them a call?
    If you go with galvanized and use RHS make sure you spray inside with rust proofing and make sure water can not be held inside and you can get the hose in to flush. Galvanized trailers if build smartly will last for many years. The trick is to stay on top of the maintenance. There are trailers running around that are 20 years old when looked after. Just like the other boys have said using I-beam or channel makes it much easier to see rust so you can get it before you have a problem.

I spoke with Sea Link yesterday and they can make up a matching frame for around $1700 but that doesn't include wheel discs, jockey wheel, rollers, springs etc. but for a couple of grand more I can get a new galv trailer. Galvanised is always going to eventually fail but this current one has not done too badly considering it's 15 years old and I am the third owner so no telling how well it's been looked after previously. Anyway, a bit more thought needed but I am liking the idea of a new galvanised one, it's less stressful and can be sorted in a week.
    Cheers

There is a new or near trailer for sale up the road from me here at the bayside single axle alloy wheels etc. can take a photo later and post it if you like.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by desertislander View Post
    I spoke with Sea Link yesterday and they can make up a matching frame for around $1700 but that doesn't include wheel discs, jockey wheel, rollers, springs etc. but for a couple of grand more I can get a new galv trailer. Galvanised is always going to eventually fail but this current one has not done too badly considering it's 15 years old and I am the third owner so no telling how well it's been looked after previously. Anyway, a bit more thought needed but I am liking the idea of a new galvanised one, it's less stressful and can be sorted in a week.
    Cheers
    Sounds like you have it sorted and just need to make the decision on buying completely new or swapping what you can over. Buying complete unit will certainly save you hours of work if you don't have the time and you could try selling the bits off the old trailer like axles etc. Being the first owner of the trailer you can get some protection on it from the start and life will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by copie View Post
    There is a new or near trailer for sale up the road from me here at the bayside single axle alloy wheels etc. can take a photo later and post it if you like.

Mark
    That the one near the fire station in Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    That the one near the fire station in Cleveland?
    Yes that's it looks like a good trailer and has been for sale now for some time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the contact Copie, I will be down that way later today so will check it out

Just on a side note I think a 540 is just about the max I would put on a single axle trailer. Maybe this may be a good opportunity to upgrade to dual?. I for one can attest that my 550C tows far better the my previous 4.5M boat due to it being on dual axles.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bden View Post
    Just on a side note I think a 540 is just about the max I would put on a single axle trailer. Maybe this may be a good opportunity to upgrade to dual?. I for one can attest that my 550C tows far better the my previous 4.5M boat due to it being on dual axles.

Brett
    Thanks Brett
    That's a good idea but really I don't do the miles to justify going to Dual at the moment. I live on Russell Isl. and it's only a couple of k's to the ramp