Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody been burnt with a second hand outboard?

Re: Anybody been burnt with a second hand outboard?

Please keep us updated on this saga. Was this purchased from bundaberg?

If you have the low hours in writing you definately have a case. Otherwise you're out of luck.

Darren

You brought it from a business but they reckon its a private sale. Who did you make the cheque out to and is there a letter head on the receipt? I don't think they can get away with that private sale disclaimer at all.

As others have said,its time to ring the ACCC. I would also keep the people you brought the motor off informed of everything you're about to do on the matter. Don't be bullied into not posting the problem on here especially seeing you haven't named names YET!

Send the business a copy of this thread.

Hey guys.

It seems that the common sense of the business has prevailed.

We are waiting for a Ecu print out to negotiate the refund for the hours.

And the gearbox issue will be split 50-50. As we can not determine the exact culprit. I'm happy with this scenario.

The receipt has still not been produced. But all of the communications have been via the business email address.

Thursday is the key day in the scenario. This will give me a Ecu print out and the damage report on the gearbox from my local Yamaha dealer.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip it up View Post
    Hey guys.

It seems that the common sense of the business has prevailed.

We are waiting for a Ecu print out to negotiate the refund for the hours.

And the gearbox issue will be split 50-50. As we can not determine the exact culprit. I'm happy with this scenario.

The receipt has still not been produced. But all of the communications have been via the business email address.

Thursday is the key day in the scenario. This will give me a Ecu print out and the damage report on the gearbox from my local Yamaha dealer.

Great to see a business stand behind their word and seem happy to deal with the matter acting professionally. The motor may well have been misrepresented to them by someone who traded it etc Would have been better not to have the issue in the first place but that isn't a option now unless they want to give you your money back or have another similar motor in stock to replace it. .

I'd be getting that motor compression tested independently , checking crank endfloat and a couple of other things like exhausts now as it is unaffordable to do up the heads on outboards in general and hours just don't tell the full story especially if the servicing has also been misrepresented to the dealer and subsequently to yourself.

So I have received the Ecu print out yesterday. It confirms the 1942hrs on the gauges.

This information has been passed onto my seller via email. Still waiting for a reply.

The question I have is what is the motor worth regardless of the gearbox. Consider it to be in good working order what would it retail for? $4000? I have seen a similar motor 100hp 2009 Yamaha fourstroke 1800hrs went locally for $5000ono.

Is it also now due for another timing belt?.....and 100hrs service also?......With those things in mind I would think $4.....4.5K would top it out.....also depends on what service history can be proved and general condition.........Sounds like they can't 'prove' much in the way of servicing for yours though.....Could be a good bargaining point for you so you don't do your ass so bad.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Thanks Dan. That was the price point I will be pushing for. I'm happy to pay for the 2000hr service as soon as required. And I'm expecting a $800 bill for that one.

It means I should expect an initial offer of $5000 from my seller. Interesting times ahead. See if he really does know the secondhand market well.

So it has reached a negotiated price point.

$2000 reimbursement for the gearbox damage and the hours.

New gear box has been ordered and should arrive within 2 weeks.

So hopefully no other surprises emerge from this motor scenario.

Glad to see you came to some sort of arrangement.....2k will go nicely on fixing that box up and then you atleast know the lower end is fine.

Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Show the bloke a picture of the sign with joe bloggs sold me a dodgy boat motor that blew up within a week that you're going to have on the side of your boat parked outside his business every Saturday morning.

Personal honesty and integrity does not change between "private sales" and "through the business sales". A crook is always a crook. As long as you just name him and not the company, your being perfectly honest even if he claims it was not through the business books. If he is still upset, you can just tell him he can explain to potential customers how he is honest as the day is long, but only when dealing through the company books.......

He has been non confrontational up until this point. His only down fall has been a lack of communication skills. I've had to send the emails and make the follow up phone calls.

I'll get the money in the bank before any nastiness is required.

Anybody been burnt with a second hand outboard?

So it has been processed I have the money in my account. My faith in good customer service is mildly restored although not cured.

Communication is still not a strong point from the seller but he did stand true to his word on the reimbursement. As long as he could palm it off from a labour situation. Which I was happy to oblige to. He wanted no part in the gearbox rebuild or parts sourcing.

A new gearbox is being delivered to my local Yamaha dealer early next week. The damage report stated that the pinion gear had been completely striped of all it's teeth. And both gear sets had suffered numerous teeth fractures. Which renders every mechanical part inside the old box dead beyond repair. I will need to salvage a few parts from the water pump and water screens etc as a new box is purely the shafts, bearings, housing and gear sets.

So fingers crossed I will be back on the water next weekend.

The major service will be conducted closer to the actual 2000hr mark. A few offshore trips will be used to continue the trouble shooting and performance testing program. Prior to the boat being returned to the market for sale.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.

well i had the same thing from a gladstone dealer. I bought a f60 which he said it had 200 hours on the clock. it had over 2000. I returned for a refund for my purchase price. but he should have offered to pay the return freight (500) and the serivce I paid for which found it. I was deliberatley mislead by the salesman (as if they hadn't serviced it and knew the hours when they traded it). The owner then accepted it back. I think the salesman was unavailable or had moved on (supposedly)

Well thought I would post an update on the old motor/new gearbox package. Just finished a 170km shakedown trip to test everything is doing what it is supposed to.

Very happy with the results. 80km of the trip punching straight into 12-15kn short choppy conditions. Many stop/starts and anchor moves. Then a long 90km run home in a glass out.
    Full load onboard with 3 POB, eskies, sleeping gear etc. & 200L fuel.
    All done on 82L of fuel.

Now that the shakedown is complete I can safe send it offshore again.

How much do you reckon the old 2 stroke would have used on a similar trip?
    fruit salad is the new Bacon