Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha or evinrude

Yamaha or evinrude

Hi guys so i'm looking at two motors which are 175hp yamaha sho or 150hp evinrude HO which would you choose?

I like the evinrudes but the max rating on the boat is 175 but havnt heard much about the yamaha sho in Australia so abit hesitant.

Re: Yamaha or evinrude

Cant say in comparison of the two but if you are buying new be aware there is a new evinrude 150 (g2) model just out

A few questions:
    1. What is the boat?
    2. What do you use the boat for mainly?
    3. What ages are both engines?

The Evinrude ETEC 150HO is a "strong" 150. That is, it is putting out more horsepower than you read on the label. The HO designation = high output. The 150/175 were the best regarded engine in the G1 line up. Much lighter than the new G2 that replaces them, and well proven in the field.

Slightly better resale with the Yamaha, better performance with the Evinrude. Reliability, flip a coin. The V6 G1 Evinrudes are weapons, that's where I'd lean. There's a G2 coming shortly although as mentioned, they're heavier and you'll likely pay a lot more.

Not sure if you are aware or if it affects you but the SHO yamahas are originally intended for bass boats and mostly come only as 20" legs. They do do a 25 in 150 and 250 but that's it atm I believe.

Cheers

I would also consider the Zuke 175, they are a strong 175 and apparently put out 184hp. I would imagine they could be had for less than the Yamaha and Etec too

Where do all these HP figures come from? 150 e-tec being 175HP, 175 Suzuki being 184 HP, not to mention the old 140 Suzuki being only 128HP, funny stuff.....

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Cmon noelm, if it's on the Internet it must be true 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Where do all these HP figures come from? 150 e-tec being 175HP, 175 Suzuki being 184 HP, not to mention the old 140 Suzuki being only 128HP, funny stuff.....
    EPA filings possibly. Regarding the E-tec, Evinrude states that it's 150 + 10% so presumably they're around the 165 mark, although being a 2 stroke they are strong horses (read: lots of torque). HP figures are wank. Torque rules and the 150HO is a weapon in that regard.

they call it a 150 HO (high output) for a reason. its a bombed already strong 150. Four strokes probably have a 150 WS (wet sock) or somethning

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    US EPA fillings... there is a spreadsheet available online

G'day
    Can't help with the question but found the US EPA filings here https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/certdata.htm#marineci
    Looked at 05/06 and all seemed to be lower max power than manufacturer rating. Couldn't see model numbers on 2016 but noticed 'useful life' hours LOL
    Cheers
    Rod

Been out on a boat with the standard Yamaha F175 with a max hp rating of 175 and was impressed with it. It blows the F150 away. If I had to choose a 175 I'd be leaning towards the Yammy.

Thanks for the reply guys, the boat would be a phoenix 618 bass boat, are the gen 2 evinrudes suppose to be much better then the originals?

Will be able to tell you in 2 weeks. Gen 2 going on to replace a yammy next week.