Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: different types of fisherman ive noticed

Re: different types of fisherman ive noticed

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    TOL was telling me last week that he is wanting to go back to basics and use an Alvey rig with a 9 ft rod and I agreed that for "touch" fishermen, there is nothing better.

So TOL is a touch fisherman that doesn't touch many fish.

Yep, I'm afraid I'd have to agree with that one JJ.

TOL

I have various flashy egg beaters and other reels and I use them every time that I go fishing but nothing makes some more excited in anticipation than when I pick up my 10 1/2 Wilson Live Fibre rod with the Alvey reel on it.

I cheated when I bought my alvey I bought a star drag model . I do get some funny looks when sometimes I take it out to the reef up here just for a bit of nostalgia .I have it on a jarvis walker Hawkesbury glass rod that dad cut 6 inches of the tip 40 years ago .gees its nice to use once in a while

Perhaps there is a class of fisherman for us Alvey lovers - the "Sensual Fisherman."

maybe dinosaur fishermen

IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

You married yet.........
    Ill bet not......

The New Australian fisherman...........
    Fishing in the blood, perhaps somewhere behind avarice..........unknown bait, unknown gear, unknown catch..........owns a mincer and wastes nothing.
    Lessons learnt hard long ago...........

The Great Fisherman...
    You done a thousand casts all day for a Barra at Lake Monduran, you're arms are hurting, but the 'Great' gets the only fish in 4 days, while trolling with rod in rod holder and 9th beer in hand.

The Teacher (my-father-in-law)...
    A naturally gifted fisherman but has little patience for anyone that's not.

TOL was telling me last week that he is wanting to go back to basics and use an Alvey rig with a 9 ft rod and I agreed that for "touch" fishermen, there is nothing better.

To me, fishing is best enjoyed as a sensual experience and the sense of touch is very much a part of that experience.

I have various flashy egg beaters and other reels and I use them every time that I go fishing but nothing makes some more excited in anticipation than when I pick up my 10 1/2 Wilson Live Fibre rod with the Alvey reel on it.

Perhaps there is a class of fisherman for us Alvey lovers - the "Sensual Fisherman."

Add the smell of a bit of mullet-gut on a bitter cold winter's night and I am just about ready to start singing the words from John Denver's "Annie's Song"...

"You fill up my senses,
    like a night in the forest ....."

If it came down to survival mode and you had to pick one rod and reel combo to last you as if your life depended on catching fish for the rest of your life, then that would have to be the combo you would chose IMO. Nothing better in the estuary land based I rekon.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Got it in one chris...but I would be going the glass shoreline rather than the live fibre....for longevity. Have had this discussion many times over an ale or four. Very interesting slant on things. IF you had to have an outfit you had to use to provide a feed on a regular basis (forgetting sporting and ethical reasons - but staying within statutory regulations) which outfit would it be...then that would be my choice.

had my first go on an alvey since i was about 8 today , was a fun experience nothing better than a decent little fish going for a run on an alvey ill be looking into one of the new alveys very soon i think or are the older style the better ones still?
    fishing is not a hobby , its an addiction.
    my missus wants to send me to fishers anonymous

Your probably right there Greg, light mono off one of those is deadly in the rivers, Whitting, Flathead, Bream etc...... Just has a problem when you want to fish the snaggy country for Jacks etc. But a must have combo in any shed. I broke my glass one years ago and just use my Blackfish rod with Alvey for that stuff. Funny how now I have a boat and rarely fish from a boat it doesn't get much use. No chance of giving it away though.

Cheers
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by owey87 View Post
    ill be looking into one of the new alveys very soon i think or are the older style the better ones still?
    Older ones are better. No plastic in them.
    Do the newer ones have plastic?? I dunno. I've never really looked at one.
    Poo?? I know you've got a new one. You won it .
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

As a kid, my only rig was a 10' solid glass rod and an alvey. Caught everything on it from whiting/bream/blackfish to jew/salmon/mullet/shark/tailor. Got stolen with my bike when i stopped off on the way home to go to the toilets. Still peeves me 28yr later.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    As a kid, my only rig was a 10' solid glass rod and an alvey. Caught everything on it from whiting/bream/blackfish to jew/salmon/mullet/shark/tailor. Got stolen with my bike when i stopped off on the way home to go to the toilets. Still peeves me 28yr later.

Steve
    Jeezs thats rough.....your bike and your fishing gear !!! .I had my bike pinched when I was about 12 and I was devastated.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    If it came down to survival mode and you had to pick one rod and reel combo to last you as if your life depended on catching fish for the rest of your life, then that would have to be the combo you would chose IMO. Nothing better in the estuary land based I rekon.
    Yup! Fully agree. Not bad on the boat either except that at 10 1/2 foot, they can get a bit ungainly if you have to untwirl line from around the tip when the line gets a bit twisty from not using swivels.

Must not bend the tip unnaturally by hand though. They snap like a dry twig. How do I know that?????!!!!!!

Must not bend the tip unnaturally by hand though. They snap like a dry twig. How do I know that?????!!!!!!
    Did you say naughty (wash your potty mouth out with soap) words when you found out??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good