Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice - converting from Mono to Braid??

Need Advice - converting from Mono to Braid??

Well, I have been in Canberra for the last 6 months, and will be for another 18 months before returning north to Townsville again - hopefully.... so I have had plenty of time to think about fishing, and not much time for doing fishing.

One of the thoughts I have had is converting some of my gear over to braid line as opposed to the mono I am currently familiar with, but this thought alone has raised so many doubts in my mind. A few of these are:

1. I like to fish with larger spin reels (spheros and saragosa 18000 spooled with 30lb mono) when chasing mackerel by floating a pilly while bottom bashing or sometimes to bottom bash around the edges of the reefs - what size line would be best suited to be a "multipurpose"? I am thinking "go big" and go straight to the 80lb - not an issue on a 6 or 7 foot 12-15kg rod I would imagine, but is it too heavy??

2. When trolling or bottom bashing in the deeper areas between reefs, I like to use a Daiwa overhead currently spooled with 50lb mono on 6ft 24kg UglyStiks. A pretty solid combination that I would be quite happy throwing 300m of 80lb braid on, but again is this too heavy??

3. I have seen 1500 yard rolls of 80lb in the US for about $125 plus postage for power pro braided spectra. Looks like a good price or am I better off going with 4 rolls of 300 yards each of 80lb stren sonic for a similar price. At least that way I would know how much is on a reel and I wouldn't be tempted to fill the spools up

4. And finally, how the hell do you tie knots in the stuff. I was brought up tying knots in telecom rope, baling twine and mono, so have no idea of where to start on the braided lines. How do you tie on a mono leader, a hook or even a sinker??

Would love to get some feedback so I can plan the attack...... in 18 months.
    Cheers
    Wal

Re: Need Advice - converting from Mono to Braid??

40 or 50 lb braid is heaps, though I fish 80 in deep water. Bad if you snag.

Learn to tie a Bimini Twist. Easy once you know how, the guys in the shops will show you. Then an albright for connecting your mono, use a leader of 4 or 5 metres to take up some shock. Mono is dead.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hi
    Whats up with using a swivel to attach your mono leader. Like /Fins braid myself but each to their own and from 50 to 80lb. Don't forget that it is wise to have a mono backing when spooling with braid.

Ronnie

First thing I would do is decide on what you want to get out of fishing with braid i.e capacity or sensitivity to be able to feel the bites.
    In my opinion, braid is too unforgiving for big macks that hit like a train whilst trolling, much more forgiving to use a good quality mono if you do not have capacity issues.

If you are going to fish deep water and fish deep in the column, braid is a bonus because of the sensitivity and being able to feel the smallest bites, not just the big hitups we think are normal bites on mono.

50-80lb braids will work well on the deeper work, drop the size for shallow and surface work is a good idea though.

Braid is not a solution, it is just another tool and with it comes a whole new set of complexities and troubles as well as the bonuses.

PowerPro, the american version is decent braid, there is a chinese knockoff around thats marginally cheaper but not the same quality. Stren Sonic is a reasonable braid as well.

Take a good look at Paulus's line testing site to narrow down your selections as his results are well documented on a large array of breeds and types of braids and fused lines. (thinner lines are not always good selections) Try to avoid flat type lines as they are prone top bury deeply in the spool when under heavy pressure.

Braids MUST be tightly wound onto the spool always, never loose packed.

Buy a spool of braid and a spool of leader material in the sizes you want to use and sit down in front of the computer and hook into YouTube and work your way through knots until you are satisfied with a knot and your tying techniques. Dozens of knots out there, many are tricky to tie and not everyone excells at all knots.

My knot preferences may not be the knot you prefer to tie or use.
    Jack.

Thanks for the replies so far.

So 50 lb seems like it will be enough. I am guessing that when you say "backing", I leave the spool about half full of mono, join on the braid using an albright and spool it on. I will probably buy some in the 300 yard spools from the US as its cheaper, and then I also know how much is on the spool. Is this the right line of thought, or is 300 yards overkill, keeping in mind that I'm often in 150 ft or so?

When you say leader, is that just a length of standard mono or some flurocarbon stuff - I have some of this for mackerel leaders when they are a bit finnicky and are put off by wire? Mrs Ronnie, not sure if there is anything wrong with using a swivel to join braid to leader?? Also not sure if its the best way either as I am the uneducated in the area of braid?
    Cheers
    Wal

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Braid is not a solution, it is just another tool and with it comes a whole new set of complexities and troubles as well as the bonuses.
    Wow! what a statement, and so true, I hope you don't mind if I use that sometime Tuna. Is it still plagiarism if I ask first?

Overall you'll enjoy the move to braid Wal. YouTube is a great place to learn new knots, plenty of videos showing how to tie just about every knot there is. I recon 80 seems high but I don't reef fish up north either (bucket list), if there's strong current 50 or a little less might provide more feel and let you use less lead. Not everyone does it but most would run just a few mts of mono under the braid. If you fish now in any rivers or lakes around Canberra why not try a light braid and get use to the feel and some of the knots.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Wal I use 50 or 65 pound braid at the reef this is plenty . If I tie the leader on at home I use an albright but in the boat at night I use a double uni Knot I find it easier and quicker to tie in the boat in the dark . I use about 2 m of leader and a paternoter rig . I would also never go back to mono for bottom bouncing as the sensitivity is another world comared to the mono . I can feel the sinker rolling over rubble in 70m of water on the drift
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Wow! what a statement, and so true, I hope you don't mind if I use that sometime Tuna. Is it still plagiarism if I ask first?
    Go hard Mike, tis only words.
    Jack.

I think you need to run 20-30 meters of braid out, if you can spare it,
    & try to break it when tied to a post/tree.

I have been tempted to update my line to 50lb,
    but after more than 10 years of VERY serious bottom bashing,
    I still use 30lb,
    my PB fish caught on this line is a 27kg Samson.
    yes, I do lose the odd good fish,
    but not many.

Dont sacrifice for sensitivity, if you are fishing straight up & down,
    30lb is enough.

Just my opinion,

Muzz

Hi
    It is your choice whether to use a bimini or just go with an easy option to use a swivel. I prepare all my leaders before going out and keep them in a soft plastics wallet. Marked from 60lb to 80lb. Find it easier if all prepared as nothing worse than trying to make up leaders in a hurry. All tied and ready to go- just need to put on hooks and attach to swivel. Paternosta rigs are what we use mainly.

Since changing to BraidIi would not go back to mono for bottom bashing and even have our lighter rods for whiting and flathead rigged with 20lb fins.
    The only mono lines are our baitrunners--30lb to float a pilly for snapper.

As has been said just use a few metres of mono as a backing and that way it will stop the braid from slipping. Make sure it is wound on even and fairly tight.

Ronnie

If you are using a swivel, dont run the sinker along the braid as it can damage it, use a paternoster rig. I use a double uni knot to tie on a leader and have never had a drama

Wal.

Basically, double everything when you tie braid.

That is, double over the end, double the amount of turns in your favourite knot etc.

What is meant by long leader, is run about 5 - 10meters of mono ( flurocarbon is best ) to assist in reducing the shock effect from bruisers. ( reds etc )

This is essentially, a wind-on leader and also avails you to grab the leader if you don't want to Gaff or Net a fish into the boat.

For me..........

Mono up to about 40 mtrs in depth. Then 50 or 80lb braid in the deep water ( 50 - 100 mtrs ). Spin gear to 40mtrs,,,, overheads deeper.

It is up to you. Big fish in deep water............. you'll feel the bite / pull with mono.

To tie Braid to mono, I use a blood knot or uni........ again double everything.

Google " slim-beauty " that is apparently the ideal Braid to Mono knot.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I bought some Power Pro off the net and it "looked" exactly the same as the stuff in store but I could snap the so called 50lb braid between my hands like cotton... I was very dissappointed as I had bought a heap of it and dumped all my lines from my reels and respooled etc while recoving from an operation only to find that I had blown a couple hundred bucks and had to redo the whole thing again... I would say the 80lb rip off stuff had a breaking strain of around 20lb ... and that was when the knot did not simply bust off...

Since then I have bitten the bullet and only buy in store when it comes to the line... happy to buy other stuff off the net but the line is the bit that is easiest to copy and is the weakest link.

For info I only use Fins PRT braid... Easy to tie and is relatively small in diameter and nice and round... worth the $$
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

Quote Originally Posted by WalFish View Post
    3. I have seen 1500 yard rolls of 80lb in the US for about $125 plus postage for power pro braided spectra. Looks like a good price or
    Postage could be $ 40 so that makes it 165
    Might pay you to get some more prices and compare.
    I was caught once with "we can do it for under 100 dollars", in the end it cost me 125.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    Hi
    Whats up with using a swivel to attach your mono leader. Like /Fins braid myself but each to their own and from 50 to 80lb. Don't forget that it is wise to have a mono backing when spooling with braid.

Ronnie

Th swivel will not go nice and smoothly through the small runners on your rod, especially important when using a long leader. Really hard to cast when swivel goes through runners!

Gotta Love Maroochydore.