Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

Re: Daiwa SALTIGA or Shimano Stella

In all honesty, id probably go for the saltiga.
    You say you're using baits off breakwaters and such
    I know that you can encounter some ballbusting fish such as GT's and the like up there but a stella or saltiga is serious overkill.
    Mind you, i wouldnt knock back either for spinning or baiting off my local breakwall.
    Its just that they're both top of the line reels, the best spinning reels in their specific brand, eg stella is the best of shimano, saltiga is the best of daiwa.
    Go for the saltiga, you're saving yourself a hundred or 2$$$ and it will be the sweetest thing you have ever felt.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by lanks View Post
    hello kingkev,
    although i havent used either of these reels the guys at NOMAD fishing charter use both when chasing big gt,s and dogtooth tuna. if you look on thier web site they review them both and give an experience opinion on them.
    hope this helps. nomadsportsfishing.com.au - i think this is the right address

Yep Damon's going to tell you that the stella's are a better reel and so he should as he has a commercial arrangement with shimano, not really an independant opinion.

I've been looking at getting a saltiga dog fight or the stella 20000 and talking to many people who use these reels on a regular basis the saltiga is worth the extra 200 dollars, much stronger drag ( your not going to use it but what you do use is not under as much stress) better built , and stronger.

My simple rule is shimano for overhead and daiwa for spinning reels....easy

Ian

Well this has turned into an interesting debate with some very good info coming out as well. I can understand why some say that these reels could be overkill from Breakwater rock walls, however, stopping sharks or 1m plus saltwater barras, fingermark and big jacks all require some decent gear and so what if the gear is a little bit of overkill, durability of quality gear will ensure that I am able to catch fish with the same gear for years.

I will no doubt explore this thoroughly before making a purchase. Price does play a part and if one is $200 cheaper than the other..........that might do it. As we speak I have some friends in Tokyo doing research on prices.

Keep the quality info rolling

I think the overkill comments are more to do with the amount of drag the big Stella/Saltiga's are going to gennerate,both reels are capable of fishing 80lbs braid to it's full potential on the right rod,I think the 30 lbs line you want to use would be better suited to a smaller model from either manufacturer.In my opinion they are both great reels niether having a clear cut advantage over the other,so the choice is probably going to come down to price/brand preference.

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    ...much stronger drag ( your not going to use it but what you do use is not under as much stress) better built , and stronger...

Ian
    So you are obviously not aware that a majority of Saltiga owners that actually know a thing or two about reels replace the inferior drag washers as soon as they purchase the reel? The Stella is renowned for the best out of box drag available on the market today.

Again, as i have asked others in the past - please supply such evidence as to how they are better built and stronger? I really hate it when people that don't know anything go around spewing utter crap

Both great reels, don't own either but have used my mate Eds Saltiga 6500EXP and its smooth and strong and has waaaay too much drag

But just to back up what Luke has said with the Saltiga drag, Ed had to replace his brand new drag with a carbonex set after 1 weeks use at Fraser last year because the original drag developed a huge drag spike. Its only 40 or so bucks to do the job but for a $1200 ish reel I reckon they could do better. Heres an interesting post on another site that Ed put up after it and a review after he changed it. Cheers Ben

http://www.westernangler.com.au/foru.../tm.htm#116132
    http://www.westernangler.com.au/foru.../tm.htm#117681

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Wyrsta View Post
    So you are obviously not aware that a majority of Saltiga owners that actually know a thing or two about reels replace the inferior drag washers as soon as they purchase the reel? The Stella is renowned for the best out of box drag available on the market today.

Again, as i have asked others in the past - please supply such evidence as to how they are better built and stronger? I really hate it when people that don't know anything go around spewing utter crap

How do you know what i know Luke Or more to the point who i have talked to to this subject I you want to be abusive go some where else or do it to my face .

I have spoken at length to 2 guys that use and see both of these reels used to there potential on a daily basis and have done over the last few years that's thousands of hours of experience with them. I have NO desire to favor 1 manufactorer over the other nor am i pushing an agenda. All i wanted to do is get the best reel for my money and following the advice i got i'm getting a saltiga as they have seen less problems than with the stella's, It is also the opinion that the stella requires alot more servicing to keep it working to it's potential.Maybe this is crap aswell but it carries through to the other daiwa's and shimano's i own.

Ian

Keep smiling luke ! And dont take the whole shimano/daiwa thing so seriously, plenty of other things to worry about and for the record i own 12 shimano reels and only 9 daiwa so i'm kinda on you side
    Last edited by finding_time; 18-05-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks for the interesting links Isaac

How do you know what i know Luke Or more to the point who i have talked to to this subject I you want to be abusive go some where else or do it to my face .

I have spoken at length to 2 guys that use and see both of these reels used to there potential on a daily basis and have done over the last few years that's thousands of hours of experience with them. I have NO desire to favor 1 manufactorer over the other nor am i pushing an agenda. All i wanted to do is get the best reel for my money and following the advice i got i'm getting a saltiga as they have seen less problems than with the stella's, It is also the opinion that the stella requires alot more servicing to keep it working to it's potential.Maybe this is crap aswell but it carries through to the other daiwa's and shimano's i own.

Ian

Keep smiling luke ! And dont take the whole shimano/daiwa thing so seriously, plenty of other things to worry about and for the record i own 12 shimano reels and only 9 daiwa so i'm kinda on you side
    Ian,

First of all, you claim the Saltiga has a stronger drag - you obviously had no idea about the how poorly the saltiga drag is viewed by those who use these reels regularly - or you are talking to people that don't know either.

2 guys - fair enough - i think i would know around 30+ guys who also use them and use them to potential. One thing added - i too have also used them and made a decision based on all the aspects we are discussing here today.

Shimano & Daiwa brand favouring aside - i am talking about giving people correct information so that they can make informed decisions - not waffle.

You know thirty poeple good for you, i like to see a young man getting out and meeting poeple, better than sitting round playing nintendo

Luke the people on this site give advice, sometimes what's given leaves more questions than it answers but it's given with the best of intentions trying to help another fishers. The advice i gave was given to me by what i consider 2 very good sorces, these guys run charter boats that almost exclusivly deal with jigging. they see what works and what doesn't , that's what they told me and that's what i passed along, and if they want to respond to your comments they will ( i've sent them a link)

Now you have only been a member a few months and i'm sure you have alot to contribute but it takes awhile for you to get known and so instead of just reverting to insults to get your point across( arrogance is a trapping of youth) list your experiences with each reel and exactally how one has let you down over the other, this avoids sh!t fights and people take you more seriously.

I have a question for you now luke, your obviously trying to build and internet profile atm judging by all the fishing forums you have recently just joined and the flash new web sites that are up, and almost up and running. i gather that your a budding writer and fishing guide ( being abusive really is a bad way to start as these thing come back and haunt you when you have learnt to be more rational)

My question is are you sponsored by Shimano or are you trying to get a shimano sponsorship? You advertise shimano on your site. You really should declare your interests when you give advice? I did notice there's no mention of Daiwa on your site either. Looking foward to your reply, keep it nice!

Ian

You know thirty poeple good for you, i like to see a young man getting out and meeting poeple, better than sitting round playing nintendo

Luke the people on this site give advice, sometimes what's given leaves more questions than it answers but it's given with the best of intentions trying to help another fishers. The advice i gave was given to me by what i consider 2 very good sorces, these guys run charter boats that almost exclusivly deal with jigging. they see what works and what doesn't , that's what they told me and that's what i passed along, and if they want to respond to your comments they will ( i've sent them a link)

Now you have only been a member a few months and i'm sure you have alot to contribute but it takes awhile for you to get known and so instead of just reverting to insults to get your point across( arrogance is a trapping of youth) list your experiences with each reel and exactally how one has let you down over the other, this avoids sh!t fights and people take you more seriously.

I have a question for you now luke, your obviously trying to build and internet profile atm judging by all the fishing forums you have recently just joined and the flash new web sites that are up, and almost up and running. i gather that your a budding writer and fishing guide ( being abusive really is a bad way to start as these thing come back and haunt you when you have learnt to be more rational)

My question is are you sponsored by Shimano or are you trying to get a shimano sponsorship? You advertise shimano on your site. You really should declare your interests when you give advice? I did notice there's no mention of Daiwa on your site either. Looking foward to your reply, keep it nice!

Ian
    Ian,

Well done – you seem to be quite resourceful. I’ve been a member of many forums for a long time now – however there have been a few that I have not been (e.g. Ausfish) .

I’m simply calling someone’s incorrect information as it is about this particular topic – incorrect trash that has just been regurgitated over and over beyond the point of being annoying. I apologise for taking it out on some, I’ll get over it.

Please enlighten me as to where I advertise Shimano on my site – because the last time I looked there was none. In fact, there is no advertising besides from a well-known tackle shop, nor is there any specific information about any product besides from product discussion on the site’s forum.

luke

nice artical on poppering btw really enjoyed it!

You have a link to jones tackle and they advertise shimano, i know that seems a tenuous link but if they recomend shimano and they advertise on your site, well you can see where it leads

Alot of well known fishing writers sign deals with differant companys and it's tough for them because yes they need to make a living so the deal is good but they also compromise themselfs eventually as they cant use the gear they want to or change rods, reels, lures and hats after the fish is caught but before the photo's are taken ( yep it does happen). I always ask people who do reviews as to there commercial agreements as it's the only way to get the real picture, It's the one problem i see in the dive industry all the time where a diver wants to use the best gear available and signs up to X company that makes it but the y company brings out new gear that leaves x for dead but the diver cant use it as he is scared that he will be photographed using gear he doesn't endorse, even if company y gear may save his life. Any way something to think about when a deal is offered to you. Not that a certain reels is going to be a life or death issue.

I now realize that you are obviously sick of certain rumors about stellars but if you had of explained this and backed up your explaination with experiences instead of attacking and accusing me of spewing utter crap and waffle, well i might not have got so pissed . After all i was only repeating what i thought was very good info and was trying to help with a query, isn't that what these forums are all about.

Ian

Ps. i'm off on a nomad trip soon so i may ask for some advice before i go as i now realize you know abit about the stuff i'll be doing.

get over it luke!!
    both the stella and saltiga are awsome reels and with a fully locked drag 80lb braid and a massive fish on the end.. something has to give and it wont be either of the reels.
    all that kingkev is asking is for opinions on what people have used or experianced!
    i do love my daiwa but i would be extremly happy with either of the reels. also u do know that there are about 5 different types of saltiga's?

luke

nice artical on poppering btw really enjoyed it!

You have a link to jones tackle and they advertise shimano, i know that seems a tenuous link but if they recomend shimano and they advertise on your site, well you can see where it leads

Alot of well known fishing writers sign deals with differant companys and it's tough for them because yes they need to make a living so the deal is good but they also compromise themselfs eventually as they cant use the gear they want to or change rods, reels, lures and hats after the fish is caught but before the photo's are taken ( yep it does happen). I always ask people who do reviews as to there commercial agreements as it's the only way to get the real picture, It's the one problem i see in the dive industry all the time where a diver wants to use the best gear available and signs up to X company that makes it but the y company brings out new gear that leaves x for dead but the diver cant use it as he is scared that he will be photographed using gear he doesn't endorse, even if company y gear may save his life. Any way something to think about when a deal is offered to you. Not that a certain reels is going to be a life or death issue.

I now realize that you are obviously sick of certain rumors about stellars but if you had of explained this and backed up your explaination with experiences instead of attacking and accusing me of spewing utter crap and waffle, well i might not have got so pissed . After all i was only repeating what i thought was very good info and was trying to help with a query, isn't that what these forums are all about.

Ian

Ps. i'm off on a nomad trip soon so i may ask for some advice before i go as i now realize you know abit about the stuff i'll be doing.
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the compliment.

I apologise for helping to incite tension inside the thread between you and myself - i totally share your sentiments about why and what this site is for. I think i'll have to go easy on reading any more of the Daiwa vs. Shimano arguements that seem to be endless.

Just to clarify, i have no commerical/sponsorship relations with any tackle manufacturer.

Good luck on Nomad -you'll never forget it.

Jones Tackle is a TEAM DIAWA dealer who sells all top brand reels for the top end fishing market, the photos mentioned on their web site are Lyn Baxter with a Stella and a bunch of Saltigas.
    Last edited by GPB; 18-05-2007 at 06:38 PM.