Thread: Tips for trolling off Gold Coast

Tips for trolling off Gold Coast

Hey guys and girls,
    I have finally bought a boat that I can start trolling for some pelagics off the Gold Coast. I haven't done a lot of trolling in the past so I was hoping I could get a few helpful tips to get me started. From my research I want to be trolling about 6-8knots, run a mixture of skirted lures and hardbody deep diving lures. Troll in water 50m or deeper and towards around baitfish or floating objects. Does this sound right? Is there any other basics I need to know before heading out?
    thanks in advance
    troy

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Re: Tips for trolling off Gold Coast

I've had hookups just 500m from the seaway heading out and again in close on the way down to palmy in less than 20m so depth isn't really the main issue. Other than that advice I'm out lol
    good luck and hope you get plenty of time on the water.

cheers Ryan

Mate work out what you are trolling for first..... Spanish--Marlin----wahoo
    your setups will very ....
    spanish macs I would use 2x deep divers (darker colours) in close rapala or halcos then 2 x halco 2 m divers
    out the back in bright colours .. Trolled around 6 knots

wahoo look for some hex head lures in purples and blues and troll up to 12-14 knots wahoo love speed

Marlin. Darkest lure in short and lighten the colours as you go you spread them. Don't use monster skirts
    maybe a 10inch in close then 9-8-6 have limo as a shotgun or the 6 inch and my favourite is the blue/white ritcher
    skirt 8 inch on the short rigger (ie 3rd one back) this should also set you up for the small Marlins that come in close of the goldy...

any of these will always get bycatch as well tuna and dollies i hope this helps a bit and good luck with summer
    cheers scott
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Thanks heaps for that Scott. What the reason for running darker lures in closer and brighter colours further back?

Quote Originally Posted by troy.89 View Post
    Thanks heaps for that Scott. What the reason for running darker lures in closer and brighter colours further back?
    from what i understand and what's been explained to me .The fish are looking for silhouettes nearer the boat in the prop wash and further away its just easier to see colours ......
    and if targeting Spanish of the goldy 20-60m max depth i find a lot around the 45m mark and spotty mackerel are more in closer around palm reef and so on i hope this helps
    happy days ahead summer is coming