Thread: Hi all - new boatie

Free Membership

Hi all - new boatie

Hi all,

After 12 months or so of research and deliberation, took the plunge and picked up my first boat. She's a 1998 Haines Signature 540F, pretty well unchanged from when it left the dealer many years ago as best I can tell. I'm the third owner, with the original owner having had it until fairly recently. She was due for a bit of TLC, but all the important stuff (hull timbers, engine) appear to be good. Less than 200 hours, and appears to have spend much of its life under cover... I did a bunch of service stuff before the first outing and have now had her out a few times with the family. Sorting out niggles and improving my skills each outing but really enjoying it so far

DSC_8950_small.jpgIMG_1759_small.jpg

I haven't done much fishing since I was a kid but my parents in law are mad keen, and I'm sure the little fella will likely pick it up when he's a bit older. So mostly on the forum for boating advice at this stage, of which there looks to be plenty!
    Cheers,
    Mike

Re: Hi all - new boatie

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC90 View Post
    Hi all,

After 12 months or so of research and deliberation, took the plunge and picked up my first boat. She's a 1998 Haines Signature 540F, pretty well unchanged from when it left the dealer many years ago as best I can tell. I'm the third owner, with the original owner having had it until fairly recently. She was due for a bit of TLC, but all the important stuff (hull timbers, engine) appear to be good. Less than 200 hours, and appears to have spend much of its life under cover... I did a bunch of service stuff before the first outing and have now had her out a few times with the family. Sorting out niggles and improving my skills each outing but really enjoying it so far

DSC_8950_small.jpgIMG_1759_small.jpg

I haven't done much fishing since I was a kid but my parents in law are mad keen, and I'm sure the little fella will likely pick it up when he's a bit older. So mostly on the forum for boating advice at this stage, of which there looks to be plenty!
    Cheers,
    Mike
    G’Day Mike
    Nice pickup on the boat
    If you need any advise about things on the water, this is the place to learn.
    Good luck
    Shawn

Welcome mate. Plenty of discussion here about boats & fishing. No such thing as a bad days fishing or boating... provided you stay on the water and not in it.
    Enjoy.
    And post about some results of any trips... good and not so good.

Cheers
    Gurn

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome Mike,

nice tub you’ve chosen. An Aussie icon the 540,540f,542, & 543 as I believe they are now. Happy days ahead full of memories and joy.
    For what it’s worth, I owned a Signature 632F and to this day regard it as the best all rounder boat I owned from a family/ fishing point of view.
    all the best and safe boating.

Ducks.

Free Membership

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Ducks, it's interesting you should say that. I've already had multiple people approach me asking about the boat and tell me they wish they never sold theirs... For comfortably under 20k, I'm sure she'll provide plenty of fun and family memories in the years to come