Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The all new Yamaha SHO V-MAX

The all new Yamaha SHO V-MAX

Yamaha look a if they have done the impossible with there new SHO... So fare the specifactions are impressive, and whats more is the weight of the 250 is as ligh as the Opti and lighter then E-tec....
    If all Yamaha is saying is true about this new SHO, and the performance gap between 2st and 4st is closed, then this is going to be the end off 2 strokes.....
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/vmax_micro/

Re: The all new Yamaha SHO V-MAX

Oh I forgot....
    With a yamaha prop, the 250 SHO was a few mph quicker then the Opti and 1mph slower then the 250 E-tec HO..... play around with the props and that thing will leave both the DI 2st in its wake....

My only concern is Yamaha is advertising them for Bass boats only... I'm not sure what that could meen or lead....

very interersting. i wonder what sort of dollars though.

cheers

brett

If Yamaha uses similar price structure as Merc and BRP then I would guess that the SHO would be about $1500 - $2500 dearer then there standard motors..

Mmmm wonder if there will be a 70/90hp?? The 5.2 KC boys will have a solution.
    Sounds good, gee Jabba youll have nothing to argue about anymore

Good stuff from yamaha, the new motor looks sweet as well, thou the Verado has had the hole shot of a 2 stroke for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    Good stuff from yamaha, the new motor looks sweet as well, thou the Verado has had the hole shot of a 2 stroke for a while now
    True, but the Verardo in a 250hp tips the scales at 297kg and requires a supercharger to perform like a 2st... The SHO Yammie is as light, has the performance of a 2st and it does it all naturally aspirated...

I guess time wil tell how good these SHO's really are... But by going on Yamaha's reputation for reliabilty they should be pretty good..

Quote Originally Posted by Dean1 View Post
    Mmmm wonder if there will be a 70/90hp?? The 5.2 KC boys will have a solution.
    Sounds good, gee Jabba youll have nothing to argue about anymore
    Dean, if these SHO's are evry bit as good as a 2st DI in the way off hole shot and top speed, I'll be putting one on my next boat..

bit like the ho with etec notice it was only for light hulls . pity i thought we might of got our first di fourstroke.last thing we need is another bundle of blown motors like etec did when people put ho on real size hulls. all a side it is a 4.2 litre motor so it should have good torque enough for 23 ft hulls once propped down but at a guess it has a shorter stroke than usual . example the zuk 300 is 4 litre so at 4.2 but only 250 so fuel econmy will be down on heavier hulls but great accerlation on light boats. i would expect to see a new 300 soon from this block . there 300 that they have now has not been a great success because of weight. wouldnt be surrprised to see the 350 to go up to 400 also. it is good to see the 250 hp market come of age as many models were 200 hp pushed to the max. being yamaha i expect it to be good though on a reef boat i would wait a year and see if a 300 comes out in this size block which would have the edge over the 300 zuk.

looks the good I reckon, nice big block that should see 300 ponies soon I reckon.

Face value, to me it sounds like they have either creates a lighter alloy to use, or thinner wall size in the block to shed so much weight for a fourstroke, still it doesn't go on to say what exactly this 'plamsa fusion' is, they claim its harder than steel, that might be so, but hardeness is only part of the equation, is it going to be able to deal with the high temperatures, nonetheless, time will tell, it'll be like the etec though, people maynot want to jump straight on board with the 'new' technology, and wait for someone else to try it out

Mmmm. A 300 would be just about perfect for the new Formula Im looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbee View Post
    bit like the ho with etec notice it was only for light hulls . pity i thought we might of got our first di fourstroke.last thing we need is another bundle of blown motors like etec did when people put ho on real size hulls. all a side it is a 4.2 litre motor so it should have good torque enough for 23 ft hulls once propped down but at a guess it has a shorter stroke than usual . example the zuk 300 is 4 litre so at 4.2 but only 250 so fuel econmy will be down on heavier hulls but great accerlation on light boats. i would expect to see a new 300 soon from this block . there 300 that they have now has not been a great success because of weight. wouldnt be surrprised to see the 350 to go up to 400 also. it is good to see the 250 hp market come of age as many models were 200 hp pushed to the max. being yamaha i expect it to be good though on a reef boat i would wait a year and see if a 300 comes out in this size block which would have the edge over the 300 zuk.
    Apparently there is a off-shore version coming out next year that will be ideal for larger fishing boats....

It's a huge block! Sounds like the block is a throw away? going to cause some pain for any owner out of warranty if that is the case.

cheers fnq

it could be the go
    what do you think jabba. it's scary that something has the same weight a 2 stroke and the power of a 2 stroke but its not a two stroke

cheers

brett

Quote Originally Posted by littlemac View Post
    very interersting. i wonder what sort of dollars though.

cheers

brett
    I just read on Scream & Fly forum that Ed's marine (USA) already has the 250HP SHO at $15400... Convert that to Aussie and its $16500..
    Currantly US outboard prices one converted to AUS are about 13K cheaper so the Yamaha 250 SHO will be about $29500 in Australia..

Evinrude prices (USA) X 1.07 then add 13k to get an aussie price
    http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/evinrude.htm

Yamaha
    http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/yamaha.htm